Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest news on potential fourth Stargate series and Stargate Universe's return, https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...iting-destiny/ .

Comment

Potential new series in the works? Sign me up!
      sigpic

Comment

Dial The Gate livestream, https://twitter.com/GateWorld/status...99814765006856.

Comment

Here is a petition on change.org, which they are trying to bring back Stargate. It is free to sign. https://www.change.org/p/mgm-studios...pt&utm_term=cs

Comment

Here is the latest information about Brad Wright's Stargate series - https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...-in-the-works/.

Comment

Yeah... basically... maybe, someday, or never.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

If we ever get to see a new Stargate spin-off, the first thing that comes to mind is the amount of episodes per season. Also, it clould last for just 1 season, for 2, 3 or more, based on the ratings/the interest of rhe viewers. So we probably aren't going to be seeing a multi-sessional story arcs like in the past - at least not in a way that we're used to. I also doubt that we are going to be seeing stories that are based on a previous story arc/episode. Plus since a TV show with a season of 20+ episodes is something rare nowdays, what I think we will get is probably every new villain for a short amount of time, like 1 season, maybe 2 if we're lucky.

If BW is really telling the truth, then I'd like to believe that we are indeed about to get another SG show, but something is really telling me that it is not going to be of the same quality when compared to SG-1, SGA and SGU. The only thing which is keeping me excited for the new spin-off is the resolvement of the SGU cliffhanger and that the new spin-off will be a continuation instead of a re-boot, which would not make any sense. So let's keep the hope up, maybe something will surface. However, we won't know if what will appear in front of our eyes will be good enough for us once that something does surface.

Comment

It does seem like things are moving in the right direction. Bright seems optimistic and that's all I need !

It's just too bad the crisis is keeping Stargate from moving forward.

Comment

They're not moving in any direction -- though backwards would definitely not be good.

This crisis ain't over yet, and may I remind everyone that the US is currently still one of the worst hit countries around the globe and basically not doing much about the pandemic either (maybe after January 20 it will change).

Stargate is still very much "dead in the water"...

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                      If we ever get to see a new Stargate spin-off, the first thing that comes to mind is the amount of episodes per season. Also, it clould last for just 1 season, for 2, 3 or more, based on the ratings/the interest of rhe viewers. So we probably aren't going to be seeing a multi-sessional story arcs like in the past - at least not in a way that we're used to.
                      They frequently operated under the threat of cancellation in the past and still managed multi-season arcs. I don't know why you'd think things would be any different now. The majority of serialized shows today are setting up threads for future seasons, even the Netflix ones that are among the most likely to receive cancellation notices after 2-3 seasons. There's no reason a new Stargate show couldn't or wouldn't do the same unless they were told in advance that they only had a single season to work with, which isn't likely to happen as MGM will only see a return on their investment if it runs for multiple seasons. They're thus, like the writers, going to go into things hoping that they'll have a recurring hit on their hands.

I also doubt that we are going to be seeing stories that are based on a previous story arc/episode.
                      Mallozzi has previously indicated that Brad has plans to tie things from previous shows into this new one like the fate of Destiny and Atlantis. Even if only referenced in dialogue, the willingness to resolve these plot threads suggests a strong connectivity with previous shows. There's a reason for keeping this in the same canonical universe and not doing a reboot; for Wright to do so but not return or build on anything from a previous show would be bizarre.

The other two enduring science fiction franchises with TV shows airing right now, Star Trek and Star Wars, have found success by building on a lot of previous stories and references. I very much expect Wright and the various executives to want to replicate that.

Plus since a TV show with a season of 20+ episodes is something rare nowdays, what I think we will get is probably every new villain for a short amount of time, like 1 season, maybe 2 if we're lucky.
                      Most previous villains were limited to one or a small number of seasons and they only appeared in a portion of a season's overall episodes.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 24 November 2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                        The other two enduring science fiction franchises with TV shows airing right now, Star Trek and Star Wars, have found success by building on a lot of previous stories and references. I very much expect Wright and the various executives to want to replicate that.
                        You forgot about Doctor Who -- 57 years and counting...

Comment

He said scifi not fantasy
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Of course they have to say something about the previous spinoffs. Spoilers?

1. Atlantis - the MW gate in the SGC can not function as long as the city stays on Earth. So probably it will be mentioned the cityship has left our planet and it is now back to the Pegasus galaxy after some extra ride (in the Triangulum galaxy). They can leave it open whether the unproduced Atlantis movie can be shot. I really would like to rebuild the Midway Station.

2. Universe - the expedition was meant to be in the hibernation pods for 3 years between the galaxies and now 9-10 years have passed. So they have to mention if they are still on the journey or whether Earth could contact them or if anyone has returned in the last few years etc.

3. SG-1 - what have happened with the SG-1 team, the SGC, the Jaffa Nation, the Homeworld Security, the Lucian Alliance etc.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Raj_2006 View Post
                              Here is the latest information about Brad Wright's Stargate series - https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...-in-the-works/.
                              Been Re-watching SG-1 now for the first time in several years, and about to get to SGA. Really hope this happens, and with all the streaming companies out there, think Stargate can find a nice home for several years to come.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                You forgot about Doctor Who -- 57 years and counting...
                                I tend to. After painfully sitting through the first 13 episodes of its 2005 revival, I vowed never to watch it again, so it's not on my mind much. But, sure, they too build on and expand on past episodes and stories. I remember them touching on daleks, for example.

By the way, no offense is intended toward any Doctor Who fans. It just isn't for me. To each their own.

Comment

Working...
                                X