Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not allowed to vote in the poll, but I would love any version of the Stargate franchise (minus the complete movie reboot. Pretty happy that's going to be happening now.) I'm different than many "traditionalist" in that I only recently watched SG1. I began with Atlantis, then watched Universe and finally many years later decided I should understand the back story of SG1. I initially was shaky on it, because watching a 90s-early 2000's show in 2016 takes some patience. (The fashion and flip phones made me laugh every time. Those were the good days!) Eventually I loved it. With that being said, I had very little preconceived notions when I started Universe and I loved the show. I understand it's different than the original, and even Atlantis, but a series needs to grow and try new things instead of rehashing the same show in a new setting. To me, taking Universe on a different path was the right thing, however they alienated the traditional fans by the abrupt Atlantis ending which, I assume, made them come in to the new show already with a negative attitude. I love all three shows for the differences in them, yet they all tie to the core model of the human need to explore. Now bring back my dang shows MGM!

Comment

Hard to say as I want a continuation of any of the three series but at the same time would love a new series but without a reboot. Their is still so many stories to tell in the Stargate universe. I'd love to know more about the Ancients and especially the Ferlings since not much was disclosed of them. Universe took place in a whole different area of the unknown which left many stories untold.

Comment

Since it's probably too late to restart SGU with the original cast, and many fans didn't go for it, what about a consolidated show? What I mean is have it based out of the SGC and new and old characters with storylines from all 3 shows fit in. Have the main mission be like SG1 (explore, make friends) but have a background mission of still attempting to reach destiny and get them home. Especially if David Blue is interested in reprising his role as Eli. Have him able to communicate via the stones to attempt rescue option theories etc... Just throwing ideas out...

Comment

I doubt that's ever going to happen, since it's clear that the writers were phased out because they kept recycling the same plots over and over again with different sets of actors and on different sets (the Ancient Chair, the concept of Atlantis being a space ship, Destiny). Besides, they'd have to re-create at least one part of the sets, props and costumes off all three shows and get at least 2 or 3 main actors back to do a combo show. They already tried to pitch a combo movie to MGM in order to wrap up all three series, but were denied. They also tried to do 2 SGU movies to wrap it up and were denied as well.

The only cast that might agree to come back is the SGA cast since their show is the easiest to continue since it's half-ended and they did a movie together if I remember right (unrelated to SG, though). SGU isn't even half-way trough and SG-1's story was basically done with "The Ark of Truth" and "Continuum". If any of the three shows is worth bringing back, by bet's on SGA.

Comment

We don't need reboot and since a second movie won't happen in the near future, then I believe the best choice would be if Netflix could buy the rights (or make it as a co-production) and start a new spin-off with loose connection with the old tv shows. Then it would be like a half-reboot, but also a half-spinoff. If the show is going to be succesfull, then they should invest more money and make somehow a direct Stargate tv-movie just to close the storyline of the SG:U with the help of Atlantis and SG-1 casts. Netflix could provide such budgets what they could never hope from SyFy, so I can only hope they will listen to the fans.
            Last edited by Platschu; 29 January 2017, 04:01 AM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Personally, I think I'd like to see a sort of "epilogue movie" with either an ensemble cast or focus on the original SG-1 actors. The film could conclude with the end of the Stargate programme as we knew it, with SG teams replaced by something else. I mean, over the course of the original series, we saw Earth become more and more of an intergalactic force to be reckoned with. I'd like to see the truth finally revealed to the public.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Me too. Especially after the "giant fireball" came from the sky that made the SF's Bay become military-only.

I wonder why didn't they have Atlantis just park & cloak at the Statue of Liberty. Yeah, I know, story-wise, regular people would slam into the invisible city, some would probably die, but that would be a great plot for SGU: Having the SG-1 stuff and Atlantis revealed to the public, but keep the 9th chevron stuff still a public secret. So by the events in "Air", the SG program would go at least partially public and SGU could have ended up showing how big the top half-secret program actually is. We would have ended up with a much more packed storyline, but at least, it would give the push the show needed for a season 3 and probably 4 and 5.
                Last edited by Mnikolic; 05 February 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

That's a solid idea Mnikolic! Ties all the shows together and allows a good plot line to continue on. Also allows for a new cast with more civilians and politics getting involved. The implications it has for the world. Countries that weren't previously involved fight to get access, infiltrate and\or sabotage the program. NBC currently has all the "Chicago" shows that are running concurrently with story arcs between all of them. That would be awesome for Stargate to have 1 or more shows again with separate missions and plots but story lines that are concurrent. Similar to previously with SG1 and SGA.

Comment

Not to mention that the scene, originally meant for "Enemy at the Gate", which has McKay and Zelenka get into a fight about the 9th chevron, was cut even from the extended version of the episode (I downloaded SGA season 5 Blu-Ray rips via torrent). Another missed opportunity to tie SGA and SGU together. The finale was so rushed that it only covers some important stuff, perhaps stuff that would later be further introduced in Stargate:Entinction and built upon in season 6 the writers/producers had in mind.

If the circumstances were different - if MGM would be economically in better shape and if the ratings would be still good enough for both SG-1 and Atlantis, we would be probably seeing a season 11 of SG-1 instead of those two movies, which would probably resolve in a better conclusion and a better connection between the first two shows. Same with SGU and SGA. I think one more season of SGA could also make a difference because its storyline would be concluded a lot better than it was, SGU would be set up in a better way and the writers/producers would get a chance to send a better hint about SGU to the Atlantis fans. Perhaps do some SGU style episodes before it actually starts (like S4's "Tabula Rasa") to better prepare the public for the new show. There would be no need for quick-conclusion TV movies or rushed endings that exist so a lot of the background story can be considered.
                    Of course, it'd be nice to run at least 1 or 2 seasons of the 2nd and the 3rd series concurrently, then just leave the 3rd show on and use it make cameo appearances of the SG-1 and SGA characters so the overall storyline is made more appealing, more interesting, inter-connected and packed with action, drama and humor from all three series.

Comment

Once again Mnikolic you hit the nail on the head. The real problem was MGM was financially unstable which led to poor decisions on how to proceed with the shows. SGA ended terribly and had a lot of life and could have been used much better as a platform to role out SGU. The ratings weren't terrible, from what I understand. I saw a picture on Joseph Mallozzi's blog that showed SGU was trending way up in the second season and doing well. I'll see if I can link to it or post the picture if that's allowed.

Comment

IMG_0211.jpg
                        From Joseph Mallozi's Blog

Comment

I am not really suprised of what this image shows. If they bring a Stargate show back, as I said in another place here already, I hope it is not going to be anything nearly like SGU

Comment

It would be great to see a new storyline with new faces, but with some cameos of old timers from all 3 shows. Have some original characters in leadership positions, calling the shots, but the mission stuff be new faces. Similar to how Jack made appearances in SGA. Maybe have Carter by in command, Sheppard in a high level position (like training all new SG members,) Eli as a technical expert for mission planning, and of course Walter...still doing what Walter does. Just random thoughts off the top of my head.

Comment

Hi,

With all the items said here. I'd like to mention that the way they kept the main character plaid by different actors since 1963 on BBC Dr Who. The show even had a 10-15 year hiatus (c1992-c2005).

I think a mini series format or summer series format would be great for SG1.

SGA seemed to me to be awaiting to take Atlantis back to the Pegasus Galaxy. A good way to proceed. Another would be another galaxy with new villains.

Maybe an alternate reality? Maybe where the laws of physics work a little different. Say a place where the law of gravity is altered and the direction down does not mean the direction of gravity but maybe where down is perpendicular to the surface you are walking on? Best done using animation.

FWIW

Doug vV

Comment

I would really love continuations of all three series, but realistically if we want anything to succeed it'll need to be a new show.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X