This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.thecompanion.app/2021/06...talk-stargate/

Maybe we should have a thread where the Companion related links could be collected.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      https://www.thecompanion.app/2021/06...talk-stargate/

Maybe we should have a thread where the Companion related links could be collected.
      Aren't most of those things for paying subscribers only?
      With non-paying getting previews and snippets?

Want to create another have/have-nots like on Stargate Command?
      Be my guest.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

30 minutes is free then paying customers can listen the whole interview.

David put out a GW news about it :
        https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/...on-whats-next/

"I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          30 minutes is free then paying customers can listen the whole interview.

David put out a GW news about it :
          https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/...on-whats-next/
          Yeah, I know... and I'm sorry about the sarcasm in my previous response. That was uncalled for.

Anywho... the more people know about the existence of it, the better perhaps.
          In the end, getting the word out is still a positive thing.

Comment

Would the companion app be the best way to "vote with our wallets" - I'd love to see Amazon invest in a new show now that they own the rights through MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by rgritt View Post
              Would the companion app be the best way to "vote with our wallets" - I'd love to see Amazon invest in a new show now that they own the rights through MGM.
              Only those who have a credit card can "vote with their wallets" apparently.

Also, the company is British and entirely not affiliated with MGM or Amazon.

Amazon doesn't own the rights to MGM yet.
              They will have access to their library sure -- when all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. I suspect it will be final in the second quarter of 2022 if all goes well.
              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 12 September 2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I would be happy to have Stargate SG-1 back as a modern continuation, mini series or movie. Heck in any form. If they can bring back Star Trek in it's upteenth series, why not Stargate? Of course now Stargate Command would have to be under the United States Space Force instead of the Air Force so uniforms would have to be changed.

They could bring back any of the original characters in cameo appearances, maybe even have one or two of them in regular roles. There was a Cadet Haley who by now would be at least a Major after all this time if she were called back to the franchise.

They could also merge an SG-U storyline into an SG-1 episode/movie by finally finishing the story arc off properly, like maybe bringing them all home again... I mean by now they've probably entered the new galaxy and are awake, right?

Comment

Unless something went really wrong, we can assume they made it to the new Galaxy. That or if the ships that were following them had caught up with them, then the crew is in a very complicated situation.

They couldn't do any SG-1 movie because the cast members are older and some of them have moved on to other things and coming back to Stargate would hurt their careers. For example, RDA's 70 years old now, so Jack would be long-retired by now anyway. Michael's and Amanda's characters would probably in high positions, leading their own teams or leading Stargate Command or something. I doubt that they could bring Vala and Mitchell back since Claudia and Ben are also active in acting elsewhere. An SGU conclusion would have to include Sam's, Daniel's and maybe even McKay's efforts to bring the crew back and also at least key actors from SGU to reprise their roles. Perhaps even then we wouldn't get a proper on-screen conclusion for SGU, but rather some flashback scenes while someone's re-telling the events after the ones in the final episode.

I think Brad Wright had a good idea when he wrote a pilot for a new spin-off that was rejected. The characters would probably be mkaing cameo appereances and just making a bridge-like conncection between what happened to them and the current events. The focus of the new show would have probably been on the new guys and their problems. I even doubt that we would get a proper SGA ending. The sets are gone plus there's also the question of who can come back. We know that Jason Mamoa is a big no and there's still some unfinushed busienss with the Sateeda storyline.

If a new series comes out - well, at this point, I'd be fine with anything that Amazon could come up with, as long as it stays true to what came before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                    That or if the ships that were following them had caught up with them, then the crew is in a very complicated situation.
                    This sounds like the start of an interesting story.

Michael's and Amanda's characters would probably in high positions, leading their own teams or leading Stargate Command or something
                    Amanda was leading Stargate Command in a game, I think. She should be an admiral by now.

Vala and Mitchell are old enough to be commanding SG-1.​

The focus of the new show would have probably been on the new guys and their problems.
                    I'd like the continuation of SGU, simply because it was so grown-up and adult-oriented.

I even doubt that we would get a proper SGA ending.
                    I'd redo the ending as Atlantis landing somewhere near / in the vicinity of / inside the South Pole ice plateau, which is one of the least-populated areas on Earth, and one with the fewest eyeballs per square kilometre. The best place to hide even there would be an Arctic sinkhole.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm interested to know how the population on Earth has been able to handle disclosure and the wider exopolitics in the Stargate universe. But landing the Atlantis in full view of everyone is massively unrealistic.​

We know that Jason Mamoa is a big no
                    That assumption is based on Jason Momoa being a huge star now, and the potentially impossibly large paycheck that he and his agents would make an ask for. Then, hypothetically, some of the other actors will want similar salaries, and then it would end up like Star Trek 2009-4 (not Star Trek IV) and the two Chrises (Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth).

And so, if for some reason, Jason Momoa from ATL were hired, he'd steal the show due to his star power. OTOH, his star power could also be one of the attractions to bring more people over to watch Stargate.

Ming-Na has become a major television star (through "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"), and her presence would work to capture the Asian market, at least some of it. The Asian market is very diverse, but if the stories are going to touch certain important topics, the production side will have to make itself spiritually ready to not release in the biggest Asian market, and then not consider it a loss.

Robert Carlyle is also a venerated actor.

idk, payroll is going to be really complex.
                    Last edited by Mardus; 10 March 2023, 10:54 PM.
                    • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                    • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                    • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Hello everyone.

Here is some information about a possible return of the Stargate franchise: Stargate’s Return Might Begin With A Feature Film (gateworld.net)​ .

We might get more information about the future of the Stargate franchise on Dial the Gate's livestream later today: (1645) Stargate's Future Amid Hollywood Strikes (Special) - YouTube . ​
                      Last edited by Raj_2006; 15 July 2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Latest information: Stargate’s Next Move Will Be World-Building (gateworld.net)

Comment

I'm all in favor with any comeback. Unfortunately it's beginning to look as though when and if they do anything, people will have forgotten the entire franchise

Comment

Originally posted by Timlong8587 View Post
                            I'm all in favor with any comeback. Unfortunately it's beginning to look as though when and if they do anything, people will have forgotten the entire franchise
                            Fans will likely never forget the franchise.

The regular audience, on the other hand, has no memory whatsoever most likely... for quite some time already. It's a case of out-of-sight-out-of-mind, I'm afraid.

Comment

If they brought back Stargate, I wonder what kind of premise they’d use. Who would be the villain(s)? What setting would they use (SGC, Atlantis, other)?

I think reviving a franchise can be good and bad: good in that it can reawaken interest, but possibly bad if it doesn’t live up to the original. Personally, I think I’d miss the original characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X