View Poll Results: How do you want Stargate to return? (Please comment after voting)

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU

    7 13.21%
  • Continuation of SG-1

    4 7.55%
  • Continuation of SGA

    8 15.09%
  • Continuation of SGU

    7 13.21%
  • As a NEW Continuation series

    15 28.30%
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU AND a new Continuation Series

    6 11.32%
  • Reboot the Series

    3 5.66%
  • Reboot Movie

    0 0%
  • Reboot Movies

    0 0%
  • Continuation in Movies (Please comment & say which one!)

    2 3.77%
  • Cinema Movies

    1 1.89%
  • Television Movies (Eg AoT)

    0 0%
  • Other (please comment)

    0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121
  1. #101
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    I'd want SG-1 and SG-A smashed together into one series. I know it's been a while and the original crew of SG-1 is a decade older, but i can't let it go.

  2. #102
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    That wouldn't work. Like you said - the cast's a decade older. Same goes for the SGA cast whose members are 2 years younger than their SG-1 friends, looking from when the show ended. Both shows would need to get more mature first before being able to be fused together because having the characters still being the same age from the time their respective show ended/got cancelled while having them played by the same actors and actresses YEARS later...
    Nah. It can't work. Unless they have the characters aged and still kicking ass in the Milky Way and Pegasus. Which means that there'd be a frozen STATUS QUO that would need to be established in order to continue the storylines properly. Which means that eventual introduction of new characters and eventual main cast replacement would be necessary.

  3. #103
    Probie
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Have any of you read the Rota series written by aerkijyr? Seriously, I Love stargate & in my opinion this guy has the Best chapter in the story Yet! He does such an excellent job of capturing all the characters essence! Amazing read! So wish it could be made into a series. So much talent!

  4. #104
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    I love all 3 of them but I do agree with a conclusion of SGU. I cannot see why anyone would be bored with it. They had something quite different than SG1 or SGA and was very satisfying to watch. Very different aliens, worlds, and plots. A welcome change. But the problem is they who put these shows out there are in no hurry. Not a mention of anything happening.

  5. #105
    Airman Franksixer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Nothing would make me more happy than for this franchise to return, no reboot! A return of SG-1, a wrap-up of Atlantis, and maybe a separate continuation of SGU.. a connected series but a continuation.. I don't know exactly how I would do it if I had the choice but definitely the ORIGINAL FORMULA! It's family-friendly, its funny and it's just the way it's done! For Stargate that is..

    And I must say again... every opportunity I get, I want to thank this community for welcoming me with open arms, warmth, and just general niceness..it's super rare on the internet to find a community like this, and I just had to say that

    I think that our love for Stargate and the fact that were not all children LOL has this amazing effect and bond, that just makes this community different and for that I'm extremely grateful....

    I really appreciate it.
    -Frank

  6. #106
    Chief Master Sergeant Mardus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    A continuation of SGU is better, because the actors are all younger, and it's possible to do plausible deniability (aka sci-fi magic) to explain why they are older now, and to continue right where they left off. In the meantime, Ming-Na has gained status as a major Asian-American actor (through "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"), which would make SGU a more interesting property overseas.

    Continuing SGA is iffy, because Jason Momoa is now a huge star, and would command a huger paycheck, which I doubt MGM has the $ for, if an SGA continuation were ever greenlit. Besides, Momoa is busy with two Aquaman sequels, and has been signed on for four in total (with one out already), so that's a scheduling conflict right there.

    All of the SG-1 actors are old now. Richard Dean Anderson is 69, Christopher Judge is 54, Amanda Tapping is 53 (still looks good), and Michael Shanks is 48 (and fitter than ever), Ben Browder is 56 and handsome, Claudia Black is 46 and awesome.

    SGA: slightly younger, but few are substantially younger than 50. Joe Flanigan (still cute) and David Nykl (Zelenka) are 52, Rachel Luttrell is 48, David Hewlett is 51, Paul McGillion is 50; Torri Higginson is probably of a certain age, as there is no birth year on Wikipedia; Rainbow Sun Francks is 39, Jewel Staite is 36.

    SGA appealed to the teen demographic by having teen guest actors do the wunderkind trope by playing "super-important" roles in some episodes. But also by being very formulaic and cheesy, like SG-1.

    To compare:
    SGU: Robert Carlyle is 58, Lou Diamond Phillips is 57, Louis Ferreira is 53, Ming-Na is 55, Peter Kelamis 51, Mike Dopud is 50 (and awesome). Ten years ago, they were 40+.

    Yet:
    Brian J. Smith and David Blue are both 37, Elyse Levesque is 33, Alaina Huffman and Julia Benson are both 39, Julie McNiven is 38, Jamil Walker Smith is 36, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman is 34, Jennifer Spence and Patrick Gilmore are both 42, Haig Sutherland is 35/36, though I thought he was older. While his character was killed off, then given the nature of sci-fi, he could in theory be brought back from the dead.

    The average age of the SGU cast is much younger than that of SGA and SG-1. Interestingly enough, the main SGU cast was never meant to be too young, with Elyse as one of the youngest at 24/25 in 2009.

    Many SGU actors have become more accomplished by now, but none seems to have become too expensive either.

    I'd love a continuation of SGU with occasional guest appearances from SG-1/SGA, such as Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Amanda Tapping (awesome in the SGU pilot), Michael Shanks, Joe Flanigan, David Nykl, and Paul McGillion, for example.

    In a possible future SGU storyline and series, the showrunners do have an imperative to cast younger adults so as to appeal to the younger demographic. So, I think Destiny would be likely to meet some of the humans borne from the Twin Destinies divergence. Or, that we'd see what happened to Lt. Scott's son.

    Beyond that, we never got to explore the Earth-bound families of the crew.
    Last edited by Mardus; May 13th, 2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: +fam

  7. #107
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,122

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Just say you want more SGU.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  8. #108
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    I want more SGU.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  9. #109
    Captain Janus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Zwollywood aka Zwolle, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,609

    Zat Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I want more SGU.
    I also want more SGU

    Writer of Stargate Nova Roma (SG Universe Soft Reboot/Continuation)
    For the long version, see....


    And for the rare days that you want to read something Non-Stargate, I wrote two novels


  10. #110
    Chief Master Sergeant Mardus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    I want more SGU, of course :D

  11. #111
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,675

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Universe certainly deserves a proper ending, but it was also the reason Stargate was never seen again until Origins last year, and after that even more deadly silence.

    What makes people think the viewers are still waiting, or waiting for a show like Universe? They weren't there back then, and they are probably not going to be there now either, especially with the lack of anything proper stargate (Origins doesn't remotely qualify no matter how much I liked it) for the past decade.

    New viewers won't show up for a show that has 2 seasons previous and an established story... That would mean a reboot, and nobody likes that either.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  12. #112
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    35,016

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    That is quite a simplistic rationale FH. Their were more factors than just the quality of SGU. I will concede that the general public wont care about finishing SGU after all this time
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #113
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,675

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    That is quite a simplistic rationale FH. Their were more factors than just the quality of SGU. I will concede that the general public wont care about finishing SGU after all this time
    I'm not talking about the quality... when I said "a show like SGU" I meant the premise of it, the subject, the story, the characters... not about its quality. Purely objectively speaking, it didn't pull in the numbers then, so why would it do so now? 8 years later?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  14. #114
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Universe certainly deserves a proper ending, but it was also the reason Stargate was never seen again until Origins last year, and after that even more deadly silence.
    I disagree but we all have our theories. I think it's an amalgam of factors, the corps underwent restructuring and internal squabbles are to blame imo. SGU didn't do that bad on ratings, it was a risk sure considering just like any other TV series the ''die hard'' fans NEVER react well to change. Just look at Star Trek Discovery and its haters from the fanbase.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  15. #115
    Second Lieutenant NickEast's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The real Atlantis
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    TBH, I never truly hated it. I disliked it, sure, because it was missing elements I felt were part of what made Stargate so amazing. But I never outright hated it, compared to Infinity, and to a slightly lesser extent, Origins. I would want to see it get at least a proper ending, if not a full season, or a proper revival.

    What I didn't like was the tone, the "handheld" cinematography, some of the characterization, and most of the first season episodes. This may seem like a lot, but overall, I loved the Destiny and the overarching plot. I haven't seen season 2 (yet), due to it not being available and I am hesitant to just buy the DVDs (I did buy season 1), and because, frankly, I'm waiting for a full Blu-ray release of the entire franchise.

  16. #116
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    In any case Nick, you should definitely watch Season 2 of SGU. Many consider S02 as the moment the show got its grip and really it's much better than S01.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  17. #117
    Second Lieutenant NickEast's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The real Atlantis
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    In any case Nick, you should definitely watch Season 2 of SGU. Many consider S02 as the moment the show got its grip and really it's much better than S01.
    I know, and I want to. But as I said, I can't because it's not available. You know, the six countries thing... So the only way to do so legally is to buy the DVDs, which I don't want to do right now because I want to have seen it first.

  18. #118
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    The Sci Fi channel aired SGU for a good bit by itself against heavy competition in the fall. At one point they gave it old episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation as a lead-in. At another point they paired it with the always poorly rated Caprica. At yet another they decided to move wrestling to Friday nights and switch SGU to another night while letting Sanctuary air after wrestling at 10 PM. This strong lead-in gave Sanctuary a boost, allowing it to garner higher ratings than SGU at the time. When they moved Sanctuary to Mondays with SGU, it tanked in the ratings: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/...tuary-suffers/ (it went from scoring a 1.4 on Fridays to a less than 0.9 on Mondays).

    Executives at the time couldn't program their way out of a paper bag and kept trying the same thing over and over again with their top properties. Every time it failed and yet they were incapable of learning. They had a great programming block on Friday nights during the low competition summer months consisting of Sg-1, Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. Not only did these three shows make it an event night that encouraged people to watch live, but it combined different types of sci-fi. People who liked dark dramas like BSG would click over early and watch Stargate when they otherwise might not have and people who liked the lighter action adventure fare Stargate offered would stay up late and watch BSG. People from both camps would regularly complain about the show(s) they didn't like, but they were tuning in week after week.

    Then the channel got this bright idea to have year round original programming. The problem was that they didn't have enough original content to create well thought out programming blocks throughout the year, so they split up their top three winning properties and immediately they started falling in the ratings. BSG was moved by itself to the fall months and it massively tanked, leading to its cancellation. Sg-1 and Atlantis remained in the summer and while they were doing better than BSG, they were hurt by the loss of those BSG and event night viewers, which led to Sg-1's cancellation. As the younger and less expensive show, Atlantis was allowed to remain, but then it too was moved into that fall slot by itself, which led to its cancellation.

    Despite twice seeing that the solo fall Friday night idea was poison, they decided to do it to SGU and then messed with it in every which way save moving it back to the summer and trying to create a strong programming block around it. SGU should have debuted in the summer with a 6th season of Atlantis and they should found a strong third show to round out the night. For the fall they should have stuck to reality TV programming, which had a better chance at succeeding against heavier competition because those types of shows are not as expensive to produce.

    I'm not saying that SGU would have clicked massively with audiences if they done that. I'm just saying that we can confidently say that the reason its ratings were as low as they were was because of mismanagement on the part of the Sci Fi channel because two previous hits of theirs tanked to similar numbers under similar conditions. So its ratings are not a good indicator of viewer interest because they're skewed by executive stupidity.

  19. #119
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...
    Posts
    33,675

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    I know, and I want to. But as I said, I can't because it's not available. You know, the six countries thing... So the only way to do so legally is to buy the DVDs, which I don't want to do right now because I want to have seen it first.
    I haven't seen it either, but I bought them anyway. It was a good deal too, season 1 and 2 for the price of 1. I wasn't gonna pass that one. Same with Atlantis season 4 and 5 -- for the price one, otherwise would never have bought them at all (these 2 seasons of SGA, not SGU).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

    icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

  20. #120
    Probie skysmurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Season 2 was where SGU really shines. If you haven’t seen it yet I highly recommend!

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. The 5th Anniversary of the series finale of SGU and the end of Stargate on television
    By John Emmanuel Ramos in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
  2. Will we come back to watch the Stargate series after the D and E reboot?
    By nekogater in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 15th, 2014, 03:45 PM
  3. Bringing back Larrin
    By wraith queen inga in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
  4. CW Bringing back Firefly?
    By Elite Anubis Guard in forum Firefly
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
  5. Stargate SG-1 (1997 Television Series) [SOUNDTRACK]
    By Stargate #1 Fan in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 14th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •