View Poll Results: How do you want Stargate to return? (Please comment after voting)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU

7 13.46%
  • Continuation of SG-1

4 7.69%
  • Continuation of SGA

8 15.38%
  • Continuation of SGU

7 13.46%
  • As a NEW Continuation series

15 28.85%
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU AND a new Continuation Series

6 11.54%
  • Reboot the Series

3 5.77%
  • Reboot Movie

0 0%
  • Reboot Movies

0 0%
  • Continuation in Movies (Please comment & say which one!)

1 1.92%
  • Cinema Movies

1 1.92%
  • Television Movies (Eg AoT)

0 0%
  • Other (please comment)

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    That's what SGU was, apart from the ships used to get to Icarus at the beginning, most of the ridiculously overpowered Earth stuff was ignored.
    SGA and SGU both did this. It's not a new concept but so far it's the best idea for creating a new setting while dealing with the OP Earth issue.

The Ori? We just want to bring "peace and enlightenment to the galaxy" Why are you fighting us? If they're explorers looking for a way to get home, or scientists looking to discover a cure or something, wouldn't that make Earth the bad guys for stopping them?
    No. That's may have been what the followers believed but they still followed the "let's take over the galaxy because we're evil" thing. And your ideas about explorers trying to find a way home is a good concept. Reason for fighting? Maybe they causing death in their quest. Maybe they are inadvertently spreading diseases while they're looking. The Enkaran episode could also be good but have it on a larger scale and not be solved by saying "I found your home planet"

A race Earth depends on for something? Like the Jaffa turning against the Goa'uld?
    Could've been a good one but never fully utilized it. They rarely ever brought up "what happens to the jaffa when we kill the Goa'uld?". And later on they find a solution for it. The Wraith could've also been a good one but they had the generic evil take over the galaxy mentality and no one seems to have an issue with the notion of the wraith going extinct. But I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Race A are a-holes but they protect people from something and if you oust them you will have to either pick up the slack or leave the people to die.

That's the Goa'uld/Tok'ra.
    No, not like them. Sure they may have stolen stuff but they never got that advanced. Earth was progressing at a faster rate. I'm thinking of a group whose story is identical to that of Earth and has advanced like that as a result. A mirrored version of Earth and what they've been through.

Earth is the evil empire in this story.
    No. I was thinking something more along the lines of the the Justice League Doom movie (assuming you watched it) or the Cadmus plotline in the early Justice League series. It's been done for superhero plots but I don't think it's ever been done for scifi plots.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2U5BHxBRMI

Heroes "punch up" they fight enemies stronger than themselves. Earth is the evil empire crushing the resistance forces in this story.
    No. Less of a resistance and more of a terrorist group. A group that can't go pound for pound against Earth so they use subversive tactics instead.

Only by making them even more powerful than Earth, and the Ori were created to fill this role. Earth has become so powerful that the only thing the writers could come up with to even remotely challenge them was a race of gods.

And then even they were defeated with minimal effort and a field trip to their home galaxy.
    The Ori was done for plot purposes, that the Ancients that had been revered for half the series are now the bad guys. But they need motive so they turned it into a splinter faction of the Ancients with evil intent. And the Ori had a curbstomp in their entire plot span. And their defeat was only through the Easy-button Ascended-killing device and ark of truth. So downgrade the enemy just a bit so that it's not a complete curbstomp and remove the Easy-button.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

As much as I love the cast of SG-1 I feel like the series went to a point of no return in the later seasons. I feel like the writers and creators just ran into too many choices where they made the wrong turn - starting with the introduction of ascension. I personally would love it if we could go back in time and reboot SG-1 with the entire original cast as well as Claudia Black and maybe more David Hewlett and Corin Nemec - and others. Avoid the introduction of ascension and focus on the infinite stories they didn't tell that could be told with a device like the Gate.

So that likely isn't going to happen. The best I feel I could hope for is a series reboot with the original cast, possibly as the same characters, but not all of them as the travelers. (I would settle for a continuation that just kind of ignores ascension and the Ori and all that.)

As much as I LOVED characters and things that happened on SGA I feel like they started off on the wrong foot with the Wraith - even the name seems bad. Don't get me wrong, I loved the story behind the Wraith, I just didn't love the Vampire vibe. As matter of fact you know my viewing palate has changed over the years since SGA ended and I think it is time for me to go back and rewatch Atlantis. I might enjoy it a lot more.

And I have always felt that SGU was a completely misguided effort from the get go. It was just too gimmick driven. Great cast, poor plot. I take that back. The plot would have been great if they hadn't used gimmicks like the stones to bring in guest stars; or the failing ship they have to learn about like SGA; and if they hadn't tried to make the show so obviously like the new BSG, but we've heard all that before.

Honestly I would love to see them wrap up SGA and SGU then continue SG-1, but I think it could be an even better show if they could start everything over again. The shame of it is that I feel 75% of what made SG-1 so great was that Top 5 - RDA, Tapping, Shanks, Judge, and Davis. Having said that I also feel that the foundation of the plot of SG-1 is strong enough that you could find a good cast and make a great show from what is there. Yes the relationships of those actors was great, but you could have good actors and different relationships in the SG-1 Universe and get another a great show. Especially now that they would have so much more freedom to do stuff they were possibly afraid of doing or restricted from doing back then. I mean I think we all know that SG-1 is great, but there are weaknesses that I think could be attributed to ways of thinking about making a television show back then that may not serve as obstacles now. I mean now the sky is just about the limit.

I do not know if I am qualified to comment, but I took the poll & it asked me to comment on why I voted the way I did.. So here goes.

I voted for the return of SG1, that & nothing more. Because I did not watch, or have any interest in watching, SGA or SGU.

I hate spin-offs, shows started up to cash in on the success of an already established show that is doing well. (Star Trek springs to mind with Deep Space 9 & Babylon).
    I can accept that the stars will age & eventually retire/die, & their understudies will be promoted and take over the reins (Hammond retired & O'Neill took over) and the series continues.

Now, in Children of The Gods the Goa'uld had a temple on Abidos that had more planet addresses on the walls than the SGC could check out in 9 years, so a return to going off world to check out more of the addresss, & having more adventures with strange races would work.
    (Why the Goa'uld chose Abidos to keep track of all the gates & not some other planet is not made clear, and nobody came back from another planet & said they had found a similar temple.)

Anyway, resurecting Stargate SG1 as a TV series would be my wish. Bring back O'Neill & Carter as high ranking, none combatant advisory personal from time to time. Tealk could have retired to Tulak & be advisor to the Jaffa & pop in to SGC as liason between Earth & Jaffa, also infrequently. (Much like Jacob Carter & the Tokra) But new, younger actors be in charge of SG teams going off world & having adventures.
    Maybe this time focus on more than one team's adventures... This week SG1, next week SG7, then SG3 and so on. (Children of the Gods had SG1 & SG3 on Abidos together, so some episodes could call on multiple teams)
    Who knows, one team might stay on Earth & workout the connection betweem the Bermuda Triangle & the Ancients (We got a connection for King Arthur & Merlin)

OK, maybe I am not qualified to comment, so I will stop now.

@Who Knows, I was once like you, I liked sg1 so much I couldn't imagine any spinoffs. I didn't watch Atlantis for 3 years after it started. However it carries all the same strengths sg1 had and is as good as sg1 is if you can get passed a few small weird things (ie, the wraith in general). If you like sg1 to any strong degree, I highly recommend watching atlantis. You can forget universe tho as it takes a whole new direction.

Hello everyone. Here is new stargate petition started on change.org, https://www.change.org/p/mgm-studios...gate-tv-series. I recommend everyone to sign petitions that will bring back and continue stargate SG-1, SGA, SGU and a new continuation series. The fan base is growing. We need to show MGM and others that this is what we want.

Defender

Not allowed to vote in the poll, but I would love any version of the Stargate franchise (minus the complete movie reboot. Pretty happy that's going to be happening now.) I'm different than many "traditionalist" in that I only recently watched SG1. I began with Atlantis, then watched Universe and finally many years later decided I should understand the back story of SG1. I initially was shaky on it, because watching a 90s-early 2000's show in 2016 takes some patience. (The fashion and flip phones made me laugh every time. Those were the good days!) Eventually I loved it. With that being said, I had very little preconceived notions when I started Universe and I loved the show. I understand it's different than the original, and even Atlantis, but a series needs to grow and try new things instead of rehashing the same show in a new setting. To me, taking Universe on a different path was the right thing, however they alienated the traditional fans by the abrupt Atlantis ending which, I assume, made them come in to the new show already with a negative attitude. I love all three shows for the differences in them, yet they all tie to the core model of the human need to explore. Now bring back my dang shows MGM!

Hard to say as I want a continuation of any of the three series but at the same time would love a new series but without a reboot. Their is still so many stories to tell in the Stargate universe. I'd love to know more about the Ancients and especially the Ferlings since not much was disclosed of them. Universe took place in a whole different area of the unknown which left many stories untold.

Defender

Since it's probably too late to restart SGU with the original cast, and many fans didn't go for it, what about a consolidated show? What I mean is have it based out of the SGC and new and old characters with storylines from all 3 shows fit in. Have the main mission be like SG1 (explore, make friends) but have a background mission of still attempting to reach destiny and get them home. Especially if David Blue is interested in reprising his role as Eli. Have him able to communicate via the stones to attempt rescue option theories etc... Just throwing ideas out...

Second Lieutenant

I doubt that's ever going to happen, since it's clear that the writers were phased out because they kept recycling the same plots over and over again with different sets of actors and on different sets (the Ancient Chair, the concept of Atlantis being a space ship, Destiny). Besides, they'd have to re-create at least one part of the sets, props and costumes off all three shows and get at least 2 or 3 main actors back to do a combo show. They already tried to pitch a combo movie to MGM in order to wrap up all three series, but were denied. They also tried to do 2 SGU movies to wrap it up and were denied as well.

The only cast that might agree to come back is the SGA cast since their show is the easiest to continue since it's half-ended and they did a movie together if I remember right (unrelated to SG, though). SGU isn't even half-way trough and SG-1's story was basically done with "The Ark of Truth" and "Continuum". If any of the three shows is worth bringing back, by bet's on SGA.

We don't need reboot and since a second movie won't happen in the near future, then I believe the best choice would be if Netflix could buy the rights (or make it as a co-production) and start a new spin-off with loose connection with the old tv shows. Then it would be like a half-reboot, but also a half-spinoff. If the show is going to be succesfull, then they should invest more money and make somehow a direct Stargate tv-movie just to close the storyline of the SG:U with the help of Atlantis and SG-1 casts. Netflix could provide such budgets what they could never hope from SyFy, so I can only hope they will listen to the fans.
    Last edited by Platschu; January 29th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Personally, I think I'd like to see a sort of "epilogue movie" with either an ensemble cast or focus on the original SG-1 actors. The film could conclude with the end of the Stargate programme as we knew it, with SG teams replaced by something else. I mean, over the course of the original series, we saw Earth become more and more of an intergalactic force to be reckoned with. I'd like to see the truth finally revealed to the public.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Second Lieutenant

Me too. Especially after the "giant fireball" came from the sky that made the SF's Bay become military-only.

I wonder why didn't they have Atlantis just park & cloak at the Statue of Liberty. Yeah, I know, story-wise, regular people would slam into the invisible city, some would probably die, but that would be a great plot for SGU: Having the SG-1 stuff and Atlantis revealed to the public, but keep the 9th chevron stuff still a public secret. So by the events in "Air", the SG program would go at least partially public and SGU could have ended up showing how big the top half-secret program actually is. We would have ended up with a much more packed storyline, but at least, it would give the push the show needed for a season 3 and probably 4 and 5.
    Last edited by Mnikolic; February 5th, 2017 at 10:57 AM.

Defender

That's a solid idea Mnikolic! Ties all the shows together and allows a good plot line to continue on. Also allows for a new cast with more civilians and politics getting involved. The implications it has for the world. Countries that weren't previously involved fight to get access, infiltrate and\or sabotage the program. NBC currently has all the "Chicago" shows that are running concurrently with story arcs between all of them. That would be awesome for Stargate to have 1 or more shows again with separate missions and plots but story lines that are concurrent. Similar to previously with SG1 and SGA.

Second Lieutenant

Not to mention that the scene, originally meant for "Enemy at the Gate", which has McKay and Zelenka get into a fight about the 9th chevron, was cut even from the extended version of the episode (I downloaded SGA season 5 Blu-Ray rips via torrent). Another missed opportunity to tie SGA and SGU together. The finale was so rushed that it only covers some important stuff, perhaps stuff that would later be further introduced in Stargate:Entinction and built upon in season 6 the writers/producers had in mind.

If the circumstances were different - if MGM would be economically in better shape and if the ratings would be still good enough for both SG-1 and Atlantis, we would be probably seeing a season 11 of SG-1 instead of those two movies, which would probably resolve in a better conclusion and a better connection between the first two shows. Same with SGU and SGA. I think one more season of SGA could also make a difference because its storyline would be concluded a lot better than it was, SGU would be set up in a better way and the writers/producers would get a chance to send a better hint about SGU to the Atlantis fans. Perhaps do some SGU style episodes before it actually starts (like S4's "Tabula Rasa") to better prepare the public for the new show. There would be no need for quick-conclusion TV movies or rushed endings that exist so a lot of the background story can be considered.
    Of course, it'd be nice to run at least 1 or 2 seasons of the 2nd and the 3rd series concurrently, then just leave the 3rd show on and use it make cameo appearances of the SG-1 and SGA characters so the overall storyline is made more appealing, more interesting, inter-connected and packed with action, drama and humor from all three series.

Defender

Once again Mnikolic you hit the nail on the head. The real problem was MGM was financially unstable which led to poor decisions on how to proceed with the shows. SGA ended terribly and had a lot of life and could have been used much better as a platform to role out SGU. The ratings weren't terrible, from what I understand. I saw a picture on Joseph Mallozzi's blog that showed SGU was trending way up in the second season and doing well. I'll see if I can link to it or post the picture if that's allowed.

Defender

IMG_0211.jpg
    From Joseph Mallozi's Blog

I am not really suprised of what this image shows. If they bring a Stargate show back, as I said in another place here already, I hope it is not going to be anything nearly like SGU

Defender

It would be great to see a new storyline with new faces, but with some cameos of old timers from all 3 shows. Have some original characters in leadership positions, calling the shots, but the mission stuff be new faces. Similar to how Jack made appearances in SGA. Maybe have Carter by in command, Sheppard in a high level position (like training all new SG members,) Eli as a technical expert for mission planning, and of course Walter...still doing what Walter does. Just random thoughts off the top of my head.

Staff Sergeant

Hi,

With all the items said here. I'd like to mention that the way they kept the main character plaid by different actors since 1963 on BBC Dr Who. The show even had a 10-15 year hiatus (c1992-c2005).

I think a mini series format or summer series format would be great for SG1.

SGA seemed to me to be awaiting to take Atlantis back to the Pegasus Galaxy. A good way to proceed. Another would be another galaxy with new villains.

Maybe an alternate reality? Maybe where the laws of physics work a little different. Say a place where the law of gravity is altered and the direction down does not mean the direction of gravity but maybe where down is perpendicular to the surface you are walking on? Best done using animation.

FWIW

Doug vV

I would really love continuations of all three series, but realistically if we want anything to succeed it'll need to be a new show.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue