X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Return of Doctor Mysterio (2016)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SPECIALS
    THE RETURN OF DOCTOR MYSTERIO
    After an encounter with a sickly young child the Doctor meets him again 24 years later, only to find that young Grant has become a real-life New York City superhero -- managing a mild-mannered alter ego while a group of hostile aliens plot to take control of the planet.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 28 December 2016, 10:47 PM.

About time Doctor Who returned...

A good Christmas special and tease for season 10!

Comment

I want them to keep Matt Lucas around for as long as possible. He was the best part of this episode.

I didn't care for the knock-off Superman story. The Doctor's story seemed tacked on, it could so easily be lifted out and it wouldn't have affected Fake-Superman at all.. And it was so easily solved at the end.

After the 50th anniversary special and The Witch's Familiar I know this show is capable of so much more.
      Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 25 December 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        I want them to keep Matt Lucas around for as long as possible. He was the best part of this episode.
        Spoiler:

Comment

Could you also fix the problem of the huge variation in quality between episodes? It's frustrating.

It can go from 'the best thing on TV that week' to 'magical forest that appeared overnight and makes me question why I continue to watch'.

*shakes cane at writers*
          Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 25 December 2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Is it bad that I fell asleep while watching this? I need to finish the ep today and I'll be back!
            Originally posted by jelgate
            This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

I enjoyed it, in spite of the hackneyed plot. Mainly because I haven't seen any DW since last year's Christmas Special, which IMO was much better than this one. I still loved Capaldi's repartee, but the story was rather meh.
              sigpic

Comment

At first I was like "oh my things must be really bad if Moffat has resorted to ripping off the infinity stones and superman" but I gave it a chance and it didn't turn out bad, must admit I'd probably prefer the reporter to be the next series companion or Lucas's character rather than the young lady they do have lined up but I'll give it a go.

When does Chris Chibnall take over writing duties?

Comment

I can't give this any better than a "meh".

Comment

Yeah...

It wasn't awful... But... felt a bit paint by numbers. The "bad guys" didn't get enough storytime, felt very much just tacked in there to give Superman an enemy to fight... which left that side of the equation so unbalanced... At least they didn't resurrect the Faceless Ones or something for the story (and thus, not do them justice, ala Macra/Great Intelligence).
                    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                    and lots more!

Comment

Dog ****e.

Pure and simple. I found myself on my phone for much of the episode, waiting for it to finish. That's NEW for me. Very new. And it's not that I'm going off Who, because the audio dramas are still rocking my world!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                        Dog ****e.

Pure and simple. I found myself on my phone for much of the episode, waiting for it to finish. That's NEW for me. Very new. And it's not that I'm going off Who, because the audio dramas are still rocking my world!
                        I think someone at the BBC demanded a superhero story because of the popularity of Marvel movies..

But starting new shows is always a risk, so they stuck it in the only sci-fi/fantasy show they have and called it a Christmas special. The Doctor's side of the story can be lifted out so easily it looks pretty obvious it was tacked on at the last minute just so they can call it a Doctor Who episode.

It also guaranteed a huge audience for a horribly derivative and predictable story.

I know The Doctor gave the boy the crystal at the beginning. But this is a child who apparently swallows anything he can fit in his mouth. So he could just as easily have found it on the way to school. The Doctor's presence in this story was irrelevant at best.
                        Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 02 January 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X