Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Michael O'Hare die ? What happened to him ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Michael O'Hare die ? What happened to him ?

About the actor Michael O'Hare who played season 1 commander of Babylon 5 station Jeffrey Sinclair.
    I understand he died in 2012. Does anyone know what happened to him ? Why did he stop acting for the Babylon 5 series ? I know that he developed a mental illness. What did really happen to him ? Did he indeed have a mental illness ? How did he die ?

I searched for Internet articles about his death but I did not find anything precise, only vague and incomplete information. They wrote a bit about his mental illness but nothing clear and decisive.

I am currently re-watching all the episodes and I think he did a really good job as the station commander. I would have liked for him to continue in his role.

What do you guys think about his demise ?

During the show he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, which apparently escalated sharply during the filming of the first season. He left due to his deteriorating mental state--I believe he was increasingly having trouble discerning between reality and hallucinations, which naturally led to a lot of strain between him and everybody else.

JMS offered to suspend production so he could seek treatment, but O'Hare didn't want to jeopardize everybody else's jobs so he asked to be/agreed to be written out of the show completely.

After the show, his life became rather more private, but it seems his health continued to deteriorate. In 2012 he had a heart attack and slipped into a coma, and never woke up again.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah, it was such a sad fate for him. I'm glad he recovered enough to return as Valen a few years later.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your prompt answering! It is very sad
        Now I can sleep well since I understand what happened.
        Poor guy, a very sad fate. He was really good at acting and played his character very well
        He could have made a great career at Babylon 5
        He is still alive in my mind

Comment

Wow, I am surprise. I was informed he was written out because the producers wanted him out.

B5 was a good show. Wish they could somehow bring it back.

Comment

Actually here...in JMS's own words:
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yep. Very sad indeed. I remember when JMS first announced it. It was a secret he kept for almost twenty years. It really opened people's eyes.

Comment

Working...
              X