Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long you think we will have to wait now for Stargate to return in any form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long you think we will have to wait now for Stargate to return in any form?

With the current plans of RE and DD making a new SG trilogy falling trough, how long do you guys think we will have to wait for Stargate to return?

Mind that we have to consider multiple factors:
    -The rights to produce still remains with RE and DD, despite the fact that they stated that a new trilogy or anything Stargate is unlikely to happen in a foreseeable future.
    -How many rights if any MGM still holds? I'm a bit in the dark regarding this myself. So this factor is an unquantifiable multiplier.
    -How many fans are still waiting? Are there enough new fans to make studios excited about the idea and invest in a new film/show? (Looking at the current state of GW, there are less and less newbie or new thread/topic popping up. It kind of makes me sad sometimes. I try my best on my behalf to keep the flame going.)

So...?

My estimate is about 10 more years, which will make me 40 years old when I can finally see some new Stargate.
    sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

At this rate? either really soon, or never.

Comment

My inner optimist says in a few years if Joe Flanigan re-tries to buy/lease the franchise again, or if someone else does it. However, it's more likely that DD & RE will try a more low-budget release or make their own mini series if they do indeed retain the rights to an on-screen adaptation.

I think that MGM is still the overall rights holder since they're allowing the comics to be made, as well as all of the novels that are still being released. If they want to make more serious money of the franchise it's not beyond reasoning that they'd return to what made them money in the first place?

Comment

Chances are closer to not in our lifetime, than to in our lifetime -- so, that would be the next 50 years, give or take a few.

MGM holds the franchise rights to Stargate and thus can do with it as they please.

Stargate isn't in the same league as say Star Wars or Star Trek. Not even close to being in the same league even.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm not expecting it any time soon. And when/if it does happen, I fully expect it to be a reboot rather than a continuation.

I will be thrilled to be wrong on both of these points, but they're what I expect will really happen.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, if I can push myself I can maybe live to 80, if Falcon Horus' prediction is to become true.
            My great grandmother was 95 when she died. His son, my grandfather was 76. Although he had heart problems and had lesions on both feet. On the end pneumonia took him in his sleep. Go figure.
            I'm more hoping for maybe either a right now (small budget) or 15 to 30 years time (big budget) approach.
            Is Joe Flanigan that rich? I liked him in Atlantis. He was almost as good like O'neill was in SG-1, minus the cynical jokes. But he had some good ones of his own.
            I'm guessing he would be continuing Atlantis then? That would be the most obvious choice if he plans to act in the show as well directing it.
            I wish good luck to him!
            sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I fully expect it to be a reboot rather than a continuation.
              Yup. There won't be a continuation. IF the series gets revived, it will be a reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
                My inner optimist says in a few years if Joe Flanigan re-tries to buy/lease the franchise again, or if someone else does it.
                jeremy renner likes stargate joe should team up with him and there might be a chance for new stargate tv shows. or maybe mgm might look at having a stargate game made.

Comment

There was a game already, two even. Both died a quiet death.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

With the SyFy channel actually doing more space based shows that seem to be doing fairly well (expanse, dark matter) it stands to reason they MAY try a new Stargate show. We all know there is an audience for it. I think they were ahead of the times with SGU. The darker themed show would probably fair pretty well in today's market. I, for one, really liked it anyway. If they make a new show it will have to be a "fresh" look to attract a new audience but keep enough of the Stargate we love to retain original fans. What that looks like I'm not sure...

Comment

I personally think it will take a while, though there is a new Star Trek series. So who knows, it might actually happen that we'll get a new SG show too maybe in a few years

Comment

Working...
                      X