Why leave Atlantis in Pegasus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why leave Atlantis in Pegasus?

The ancients knew they couldn't win the war with the wraith, so rather than abandon Atlantis why not take it with them back to earth? Or better yet, take it to yet another galaxy and settle. I thought that was what ancients did, seed life throughout the universe?

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
    The ancients knew they couldn't win the war with the wraith, so rather than abandon Atlantis why not take it with them back to earth? Or better yet, take it to yet another galaxy and settle. I thought that was what ancients did, seed life throughout the universe?
    The moment they try to take off, Atlantis is destroyed. First Strike already showed the difficulties of launching when under fire.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      The moment they try to take off, Atlantis is destroyed. First Strike already showed the difficulties of launching when under fire.
      But we only had 1 zpm, the Ancients had 3

Comment

BUT that was with just one ZPM and the underwater drilling platform fueling it. They had 3 ZPMs to work with..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          BUT that was with just one ZPM and the underwater drilling platform fueling it. They had 3 ZPMs to work with..
          Doesn't matter. They could only lift it with 1 ZPM because they had the drilling platform and stopped the beam. Atlantis would be lifting off under the full barrage of the Wraith fleet. A Barrage it was resisting because of the water. There's a chance it could succeed, obviously, but it would be an enormously risky endeavor.

Besides, judging what ZPM's can do in various scenarios, i think it's clear those 3 ZPM's were near depletion.

Comment

Doesn't matter. They could only lift it with 1 ZPM because they had the drilling platform and stopped the beam. Atlantis would be lifting off under the full barrage of the Wraith fleet. A Barrage it was resisting because of the water. There's a chance it could succeed, obviously, but it would be an enormously risky endeavor.

Besides, judging what ZPM's can do in various scenarios, i think it's clear those 3 ZPM's were near depletion.
            How do you figure? They powered the shield under the weight of the ocean for 10k years

Comment

How do you figure? They powered the shield under the weight of the ocean for 10k years
              Energetically, that's peanuts. We've seen ZPM's with the energy to blow up entire planets and more. Powering the shield to block out the ocean is nothing compared to that.

And yet, that depleted the ZPM's.

Comment

Energetically, that's peanuts. We've seen ZPM's with the energy to blow up entire planets and more. Powering the shield to block out the ocean is nothing compared to that.

And yet, that depleted the ZPM's.
                yeah, 10k years later......

Comment

yeah, 10k years later......
                  Which isn't all that much. With the power to blow up a planet, Earth can be powered for many millions of years. Holding back the ocean costs very little energy (we learned that from The Siege, just powering the shield can be done almost indefinitely). Yet it depleted the shield in 10k years.

Comment

Which isn't all that much. With the power to blow up a planet, Earth can be powered for many millions of years. Holding back the ocean costs very little energy (we learned that from The Siege, just powering the shield can be done almost indefinitely). Yet it depleted the shield in 10k years.
                    you seem to be forgetting McKay's statement in Inferno when the Taranan's were running their shield at full strength for over a year to shield them from the wraith. They caused an inactive volcano to become active, and McKay even said that "shield's are for emergency's, not to be left on all the time."

Comment

you seem to be forgetting McKay's statement in Inferno when the Taranan's were running their shield at full strength for over a year to shield them from the wraith. They caused an inactive volcano to become active, and McKay even said that "shield's are for emergency's, not to be left on all the time."
                      Not necessarily true of Atlantis, which is meant to fly in space and submerge underwater. If it's designed to remain underwater for a length of time it has to be designed to run the shield efficiently for the same period.

Comment

Well,

I agree that Atlantis's shield was meant to run for longer periods of time because it was needed for space travel (rather inconvenient and strange that the Ancients couldn't seal their city airtight without the shield...) as for leaving it there?

That's typical defeatist (we've lost, let us run in shame with our tails between our legs!) ancient thinking (they remind me of the Q from Star Trek...in that one episode where one of the Q wants to die, when the Voyager crew are shown a representation of the continuum that they can comprehend...(that looks worse than that diner Daniel appears in, but that's bad enough!))...they don't think about what will happen if say the Wraith find any of their tech (or they didn't care anymore), most of them seem tired of living IMHO! Otherwise they'd have destroyed as much of their stuff as they could (or taken it with them)...

Humans would have never left the city, we'd have taken off as soon as there was a break in Wraith attacks (if not during an attack - with the weapon satellites covering the city a launch shouldn't have been a problem!)...also: I doubt that the city couldn't launch while under attack (the Super-Hive doesn't count, that thing has more firepower than a fleet of hives and it can take more punishment than a fleet of hives, too!), it would just tax the ZPMs more!

greetings LAX

Comment

Well yes for sure they could fly away with the city. I mean SGC fuels Stargate with ZPM thanks to homemade power connector thing. So there really wasn't so hard for Ancients to connect few more ZPMs to Atlantis + Mining station. And i don't think that ZPMs was even close to deplete at that time.

If you say that water isn't big power eater to deplete the shields, you're wrong. More you go under the water, more pressure is made for shield + if you multiply it with surface of shields
                          [(bigger surface => more energy to generate the shield => more energy consumption because of shield size => more pressure to shield thanks to size => more energy consumption because of shield size)] * distance below the sea => pressure ...
                          For sure shields was made for defending purpose and ability to fly between worlds and galaxies or in War but they are no modified to be also enabled for long time and under water. I mean do you want to live in the space or under water for 10 000 years ? Not really i guess. It's like Destiny's shields are modified to fly through the Sun ... I guess even atlantis in this state couldn't fly right in the sun and she is more advanced than destiny. You throw atlantis in sun and she blow up, without proper modification. From shield generators to shield base strength, through frequency match speed calculation, frequency range, base power supply. I mean you don't expect that you will be shot in space with water. Atlantis shields are made mostly to travel and defend ability, WITH ability to survive anything standard like water but not for long time. This is not standard situation they count when they created them. But with enough ZPMs and constantly changing depleted ones she could survive under water for a long long time.

About Wraith ... for sure they don't have weapons with firepower as Asuran satelite nor Atlantis satelite or Dorand space-ground weapon. So i think that Wraith weapons don't even hit the Atlantis shields under water OR very minimally. I suspect that they not even know where exactly under water the city is/was. That wraith queen just found mining facility also by coincidence when they shoot her down.

So the summary. They could fly away with town. They could survive Wraith attack until they jump into hyperspace BUT they also could ascend on atlantis. For example they didn't need to go back to earth, where they did go when they left their the most advanced cities in Pegas and came back to earh after few thousand years after they left MW. They went back just for ascension? Well that sucks. For sure they didn't build anything because we doesn't see anything close to atlantis except base in antarctica but she was there before they left (SGA 1x01) so this doesn't count. For sure it wasn't Ida nor Ori galaxies. Morgan said they used antarctica stargate but where they went after ? Again just find some place for ascention ? They could do that on Atlantis. This is the gappy/sieve (I'm not native ENG speaking person so don't know which to use in what situation) part of series.

Comment

Originally posted by Zralok989 View Post
                            Well yes for sure they could fly away with the city. I mean SGC fuels Stargate with ZPM thanks to homemade power connector thing. So there really wasn't so hard for Ancients to connect few more ZPMs to Atlantis + Mining station. And i don't think that ZPMs was even close to deplete at that time.
                            Keep in mind that there is a finite amount of energy that can physically be moved around the city via its energy transfer tubes. Adding additional power supply units does not solve that problem; ZPMs are only one part of a larger whole.

You could devote 50 nuclear power plants to supplying energy to my house. It doesn't change the fact that if I have two air conditioners on at once my circuit breaker will cut the power because my home's wiring can't safely handle the load. It could if I spent thousands of dollars updating the wiring, but even the best designed home wiring has its limitations. The same is true for the Ancients.

They could survive Wraith attack until they jump into hyperspace BUT they also could ascend on atlantis. For example they didn't need to go back to earth, where they did go when they left their the most advanced cities in Pegas and came back to earh after few thousand years after they left MW. They went back just for ascension? Well that sucks. For sure they didn't build anything because we doesn't see anything close to atlantis except base in antarctica but she was there before they left (SGA 1x01) so this doesn't count. For sure it wasn't Ida nor Ori galaxies. Morgan said they used antarctica stargate but where they went after ? Again just find some place for ascention ? They could do that on Atlantis. This is the gappy/sieve (I'm not native ENG speaking person so don't know which to use in what situation) part of series.
                            The Ancients went back to the Milky Way hoping to find the remains of their ancestor's civilization and use that technology to rebuild, with the intention that they would one day be strong enough to return to the Pegasus galaxy. Instead what happened is they found that very little had survived the ravages of time, so they become despondent with the realization that they would practically have to rebuild from scratch (having some existing technology like the Antarctica base or jumpers and having the machinery and industry to build more of something are two very different things). As a result, the Ancients broke up into three groups. Two stayed on Earth, one going around helping humans to create their first civilizations, the others working on ascension (presumably, there was also some crossover there). A third group left through to the Stargate. With the exception of Janus and his second time traveling jumper, we don't really know what happened to this group. The Atlantis season 5 reveal that the Asgard only had a 100,000 year old civilization (the Ancients left the Milky Way 5-10 million years ago) means that the Ancients who formed the alliance of four were likely members of this group and were perhaps thinking that this exchange could help them in their efforts to rebuild. It also means that when Thor once told Sg-1 that the Ancients went off somewhere far away he was likely talking about this group and not the earlier group who left for the Pegasus galaxy as we all used to assume.
                            Last edited by Xaeden; 21 December 2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X