Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicators

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Replicators

So upon rewatching Nemesis I remember Thor saying that the Asgard discovered the replicators in their home galaxy. This implies that somehow they managed to get off the planet Reese was from and get to the Ida galaxy, but how?

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly... Perhaps the ancient who initially created the replicators, built her as a 'hive mother' to build new ones, in a hope SHE could contain them..
    I think it's more likely that Reese simply applied knowledge that she possessed to create companions. As if today we'd build a robot that then creates chatbots or drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhousden View Post
    So upon rewatching Nemesis I remember Thor saying that the Asgard discovered the replicators in their home galaxy. This implies that somehow they managed to get off the planet Reese was from and get to the Ida galaxy, but how?
    Judging from how perfectly the planet from "Menace" matches the description from "Nemesis", i'd say it was retconned.
    Last edited by thekillman; December 4th, 2016 at 07:42 AM.

First Lieutenant

I still find it highly unlikely that an ancient created the MW replicators. For starters, what purpose would an ancient have to make them. There were no advanced races of enemies that required a weapon to fight off. The technology of the ancients was far superior to anything the races of the MW galaxy had, i.e. the goa'uld, etc. Secondly, the replicators that WERE created by the ancients to fight the wraith had a directive that prevented them from attacking their creators. There were no survivors on Reese's planet, not even her creator. If he was an ancient, then the replicators should've been incapable of harming him. I would surmise that Thor may have mistaken when he said that the replicators were found in their home galaxy. Either that, or a rogue Asgard such as, for example, Loki may have been in the MW doing unauthorized research on humans found Reese's took some replicators blocks with him on the way back home. He was studying them when he found a way to activate them, they took over his ship after he'd passed back into the Ida galaxy, and assimilated the knowledge of the databanks. Boom, the replicators became the scourge of the Asgard.

Maybe he made it as a test to see if they could correct what went wrong with the Asurans..?

First Lieutenant

Maybe he made it as a test to see if they could correct what went wrong with the Asurans..?
    That's highly unlikely

First Lieutenant

Besides why would an ancient need to perfect the replicators? The only reason they didn't become the weapon the ancients intended was the wraith used a virus to turn off their attack directive. Let's not forget the the nanovirus that killed members of the Atlantis expedition. Presumably created by the Asurans as a means to fight the wraith, kill off their food supply. We certainly know they're capable of that.

First Lieutenant

Has anyone here considered the idea that there is an alternate reality in which the Asgard don't run into the replicators, and can effectively defend the MW galaxy from the goa'uld. Perhaps even eliminated them entirely? With the exception of Anubis of course, who is 1/2 ascended, but if the goa'uld were defeated then maybe that means they eliminated him before he was ascended.

Colonel

I've been dying to ask this for ages so how is it that there are bug shaped replicators in the Pegasus galaxy that are just like bug replicators in our galaxy?

Did they cross over somehow?

In which ep of atlantis did you see bug shapped replicators?

Colonel

In which ep of atlantis did you see bug shapped replicators?

I thought they were... I haven't watched all of Atlantis so don't know but I just wondered if they were the same species as the Milky Way replicators, at least that is what I had thought.

They were both created by the ancients, but imo that's where their ties end. The Asurans are concerned with just eradicating the ancients as punishment for "Man" being seen as the favored brethren. Where the MW/Orilla reps were just concerned with taking newer and greater tech to make themselves invincible..

First Lieutenant

They were both created by the ancients, but imo that's where their ties end. The Asurans are concerned with just eradicating the ancients as punishment for "Man" being seen as the favored brethren. Where the MW/Orilla reps were just concerned with taking newer and greater tech to make themselves invincible..
    There's absolutely no evidence to support that the MW/Ida replicators were created by the Ancients. All we know is that Reese had the ability to make them, and we know nothing about her "father" that made her. There's no evidence that he was an ancient. Let's pretend for a minute that he was, and Reese started making her "toys" to play with or whatever it stand to reason that her "dad" should've been intelligent enough to do something about them before they destroyed the entire planet. Another thing you'd have to ask yourself is "why would the Ancients make replicators in the first place?" They had no enemy in the MW or Ida galaxies with technology that rivaled their own except the other 3 races in the "great" alliance. Therefore they'd have no need to make them.

Maybe the ancient who created reece, allowed her to make the block reps as a way to see if they could figure out what went WRONG with the asurans??

First Lieutenant

Maybe the ancient who created reece, allowed her to make the block reps as a way to see if they could figure out what went WRONG with the asurans??
    Why do you keep insisting that an Ancient made Reese? If an ancient wanted to find the "flaw" in the Asurans he would've made a replicator, not an android. He/she also would not made the mistake of making Reese so immature that she'd make toys that would destroy her entire world.

Colonel

And who remembers FRAN?

That wasn't the smartest of ideas either.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    And who remembers FRAN?

That wasn't the smartest of ideas either.
    Actually that was a brilliant plan. McKay disabled most of the replicators basic functions, she couldn't replicate, or do anything except for what she was programmed to do. Which is exactly what she did do, they beamed her down, she activated, "sucked" all the nanites into herself and destroyed the Asurans for good.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bhousden View Post
    Actually that was a brilliant plan. McKay disabled most of the replicators basic functions, she couldn't replicate, or do anything except for what she was programmed to do. Which is exactly what she did do, they beamed her down, she activated, "sucked" all the nanites into herself and destroyed the Asurans for good.

Yeah but it was Rodney. Even watching the episode I half was expecting at the last moment for something to go a little wrong. I liked FRAN and wished they had made a copy and kept her around Atlantis. She was cool.