Why didn't the Asgard ascend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the Asgard ascend?

One of my friends recently has been rewatching SG1 and he raised a point about why don't Asgard ascend and since I never thought about I started to wonder the same thing. Does anyone know why they couldn't ascend?
    Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal...WACKO!

Originally posted by WackyTraveler View Post
    One of my friends recently has been rewatching SG1 and he raised a point about why don't Asgard ascend and since I never thought about I started to wonder the same thing. Does anyone know why they couldn't ascend?
    They concentrated all their focus on technological advancement which took the possibility of ascension out of the picture. To ascend a spiritual aspect is necessary, and since the Asgard used tech to extend their own lives ascension was out of the question. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
      Does that make sense?
      It doesn't, but yea it was the answer given by the series.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        It doesn't, but yea it was the answer given by the series.
        It actually kinda does. Given the explanation from Daniel that in order to be able to ascend you have to be "worthy of being there." Otherwise, everybody would ascend and there'd be no corporeal beings in the universe left. That's why Oma was banished for helping people to ascend. That and being deceived by Anubis.

Comment

who says they didn't? There's actually a very good chance some did oma even stated in her last appearing episode that not all the ascended beings were ancients. They never give an answer in the series but I would assume some did I would even go as far to assume some of the nox did or were on the path to ascension. From what we know of the asgard from sg1 and SGA we know different factions spread across the universe, there are probably some around in another galaxy that never did the cloning because some may have been against the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
            From what we know of the asgard from sg1 and SGA we know different factions spread across the universe, there are probably some around in another galaxy that never did the cloning because some may have been against the idea.
            They only Asgard that left the main race were the Vanir who went to Pegasus to experiment on humans much the same way Loki dis and unhindered by the high council.

Comment

They only Asgard that left the main race were the Vanir who went to Pegasus to experiment on humans much the same way Loki dis and unhindered by the high council.
              thats the only asgard that left that we know of. They were a powerful race I dont see why they would just stick to one galaxy i'm sure many would have spread out and never have went through with the cloning

Comment

who says they didn't? There's actually a very good chance some did oma even stated in her last appearing episode that not all the ascended beings were ancients. They never give an answer in the series but I would assume some did I would even go as far to assume some of the nox did or were on the path to ascension. From what we know of the asgard from sg1 and SGA we know different factions spread across the universe, there are probably some around in another galaxy that never did the cloning because some may have been against the idea.
                What makes you think any of the nox had ascended? Just because they shared knowledge with the Ancients don't mean they had any intention of following the same path as them

Comment

thats the only asgard that left that we know of. They were a powerful race I dont see why they would just stick to one galaxy i'm sure many would have spread out and never have went through with the cloning
                  I think most of that was annihilated by the Replicators

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    I think most of that was annihilated by the Replicators
                    Since we don't know how large of a civilization the Asgard were prior to their war with the replicators there's no way to know how many were killed during the war.

Comment

I wish that all the Asgard could've have ascended. I actually cried when the Asgard blew themselves up.

Comment

I wish that all the Asgard could've have ascended. I actually cried when the Asgard blew themselves up.
                        Yeah, kinda sad. But it keeps the story entertaining.
                        Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal...WACKO!

Comment

We don't know if they have ascended or not but cloning may be an obstacle. They didn't have a natural physiological body, maybe it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by thor buddy View Post
                            We don't know if they have ascended or not but cloning may be an obstacle. They didn't have a natural physiological body, maybe it is necessary.
                            honestly I don't see why the ancients or the nox couldn't help the Asgard with their cloning problems. Neither one sound like very good allies if they can't hook a brudah up.

Comment

The nox seem to have as much of a non-interference policy as the ancients did, and maybe by the time the asguard realized they had the problem, the ancients were all long dead after returning from pegasys...

Comment

Working...
                              X