Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Day Will Come When You Won't Be (701)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's because I didn't really like or care about much about Glenn (or Abraham), but I honestly didn't think that this episode was more violent or gory than the rest of the show and I really don't get what the big deal is.
    sigpic

Comment

Abraham's bludgeoning was, I'd say, par for the course... "Normal" for the show. Glenn on the other hand... I do think went a bit further... But I think it was his closeness to the audience (even if not yourself, VW), that made it "worse".

I can but imagine that many of those who have penned articles about the overkill of gore in the episode, were probably not frequent viewers of the show. Certainly, the whole eye popping was very graphic, but then we're talking about a show that in its opening minutes showed a young child receive a bullet between the eyes... So - hey, get over it whingers!
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Possibly because it was human v human violence, not human vs zombie or zombie vs human. yes Daryl blew up the saviours last season and the whole outpost episode hapenned but those were more implied violence than a full on head caving up close stuff.

I watched the UK version last night on VoD and it's slightly censored and shorter, some of the scenes are cropped or shortened in their length. Here our censors are the polar opposite, graphic violence is frowned upon but swearing is acceptable, the most obvious one was Beth's death scene where our censors made them crop her head off off the edge of the screen so we never saw the full 'brain ejection' part of the scene here.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          Abraham's bludgeoning was, I'd say, par for the course... "Normal" for the show. Glenn on the other hand... I do think went a bit further... But I think it was his closeness to the audience (even if not yourself, VW), that made it "worse".

I can but imagine that many of those who have penned articles about the overkill of gore in the episode, were probably not frequent viewers of the show. Certainly, the whole eye popping was very graphic, but then we're talking about a show that in its opening minutes showed a young child receive a bullet between the eyes... So - hey, get over it whingers!
          I pretty much agree, especially with the part in bold

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
          Possibly because it was human v human violence, not human vs zombie or zombie vs human. yes Daryl blew up the saviours last season and the whole outpost episode hapenned but those were more implied violence than a full on head caving up close stuff.
          Herschel's death was human on human violence and it was pretty bloody and prolonged, yet I don't recall people being that upset when he got his head partially severed off by the villain, while his daughters and loved ones looked on. It really does seem to me that a lot of the uproar is more about who died, rather than the the amount of violence and gore
          Last edited by VampyreWraith; 27 October 2016, 06:18 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's just good publicity....
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

I wasn't a watcher back then, I binged watched the first five seasons on VoD.

But I agree it does seem who is more of the issue, I stayed away from spoilers but all I saw over the Summer was people complaining about the cliffhanger and lamenting that they thought they would cop out and not kill Glenn, now those same people are complaining that they did, and took Abe too.

Maybe they didn't like the bait and switch either.

Comment

My issues with Season 6 were twofold....

The Glenn/dumpster bit, to me, was a cheap camera trick that was ultimately nothing more or less than a betrayal of viewers' faith. Up until that point in the series, they had never lied to the viewers. We'd had cliffhangers sure, divergence from comics, and deaths aplenty, but to that point they showmakers had never actively deceived the viewers with a crummy bait-and-switch worthy of nothing better than those goofy 1930s serials. (The ones where you CLEARLY see the car containing the heroes drive off a cliff and explode in one part, then the next one they put in a scene where everybody jumps out at the last second when that clearly didn't happen before). It undid a lot of the good faith they'd built up over the years.

And then there was the cliffhanger, which I thought was--again--actively spitting in the viewers' eye. It's a stupid gimmick to betray your viewers (again) by spending a whol season building up to this moment just to say NOPE at the key moment and then string you along for six months. To me it really undercut both the story they were telling, and the showrunners' credibility as storytellers.

Now those things said, I do feel it's only fair that I concede:

1) The cliffhanger was obviously a success, as tons of people tuned in for the premiere

2) The premiere episode was a masterstroke of storytelling redemption. I honestly don't know that the loss of these characters would have been anywhere near as horrifying for us as viewers had they been presented in another way
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I couldn't believe some folks were moaning about the goryness (some pages on FB). If they wanna see puppies and butterflies I'm afraid they're watching the wrong show, or have they not been paying attention for the last 6 years? The UK FX channel actually left out half the episode (muppets). I'm glad I recorded it when it was aired at 2.30 am UK time. Maggie is gonna go postal.

I was hoping it would be Sasha that was on the end of Lucille but oh well, there's still plenty of opportunity for her to bite the bullet
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X