Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,108

    Post Welcome to Earth (203)

    Visit the Episode GuideSUPERGIRL - SEASON TWO
    WELCOME TO EARTH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 203
    National City and the DEO welcome the President of the United States for the signing of a bill opening citizenship to aliens -- and Supergirl soon finds herself defending her from an alien attacker. Meanwhile the new arrival wakes up and escapes the DEO, and Kara and James both struggle with their new roles at CatCo.

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; October 28th, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Wow.. That was WAY TOO overtly liberalistic in the pusing 'openness and amnesty to 'aliens'... Wonder if it was funded by the DNC!???
    How on earth could the exces allow that crap? I can maybe understand putting in a message or two, but going that overt in their political view is NOT on imo.

    BUT that said, i enjoyed a good amount of the stuff in the ep.. Like the dressing down kara got from that editor in "Report the news, don't turn it into an opinion piece", but i also liked the dressing down HE got from Olson, and the introduction of that cop...

  3. #3
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,978

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Spoiler:

    Yeah, it was a pretty pro illegal alien viewpoint...
    UNTIL it turned out that the President was an alien.. don't know how that will play out.

    I loved the reference to Wonder Woman by Lynda Carter "You should see my other jet"
    Almost as good was Olsen putting Snapper in his place.
    Overall, another good episode.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  4. #4
    Sarah Lance pscard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Had a feeling about the president.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)


    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

  5. #5
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,225

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Wow.. That was WAY TOO overtly liberalistic in the pusing 'openness and amnesty to 'aliens'... Wonder if it was funded by the DNC!???
    How on earth could the exces allow that crap? I can maybe understand putting in a message or two, but going that overt in their political view is NOT on imo.

    BUT that said, i enjoyed a good amount of the stuff in the ep.. Like the dressing down kara got from that editor in "Report the news, don't turn it into an opinion piece", but i also liked the dressing down HE got from Olson, and the introduction of that cop...
    Supergirl as a show has that problem. It can get way too preachy, but this was the preachiest yet. Maybe they should take some advice from Snapper. Their job is to entertain...not preach political ideology so bluntly. It really does take you out of the moment. There are more sublte ways to do these things without being so...on the nose.

    I really loved Scorcher. She was.....hot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Spoiler:

    Yeah, it was a pretty pro illegal alien viewpoint...
    UNTIL it turned out that the President was an alien.. don't know how that will play out.

    I loved the reference to Wonder Woman by Lynda Carter "You should see my other jet"
    Almost as good was Olsen putting Snapper in his place.
    Overall, another good episode.

    Stop spoiler tagging none spoilery posts!!!

  6. #6
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Supergirl as a show has that problem. It can get way too preachy, but this was the preachiest yet. Maybe they should take some advice from Snapper. Their job is to entertain...not preach political ideology so bluntly. It really does take you out of the moment. There are more sublte ways to do these things without being so...on the nose.
    Perhaps that is WHY they had snapper give that chat to Kara.. As a way to try and show us they DID hear the message but were ignoring it (like Kara tried).

  7. #7
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,225

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Is anyone buying Morgan L Leena Luther as a friendly good guy friend to Kara deal? I sure hope she turns out to be not the good paragon of goodness...Maybe shadier than Maxwell Lord.

  8. #8
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,057

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    I want the opposite actually since the cliche is never trust a Luther
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  9. #9
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,225

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    But...but...it's true! Never trust a Luthor!

  10. #10
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Yes it was preachey, and in fact, in my opinion more shows should be like that.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  11. #11
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,225

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Yes it was preachey, and in fact, in my opinion more shows should be like that.
    Really? I don't want shows to be overtly preachy no matter what it is that they are preaching.

  12. #12
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,057

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Hasn't Superman always been preachy?
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #13
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Really? I don't want shows to be overtly preachy no matter what it is that they are preaching.
    I want shows that try to add a moral or inform while entertaining. Star Trek always did this so well. It's just as relevant within comic book shows with comic books having a long history of telling morality tales.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  14. #14
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Is anyone buying Morgan L Leena Luther as a friendly good guy friend to Kara deal? I sure hope she turns out to be not the good paragon of goodness...Maybe shadier than Maxwell Lord.
    I think it would be refreshing to have her be a straight shooter.. And not another 'i am bad but appear good just to lull the hero into a false sense of security'...

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Yes it was preachey, and in fact, in my opinion more shows should be like that.
    Really? I don't want shows to be overtly preachy no matter what it is that they are preaching.
    Neither do i. We are already getting way to much 'preachiness in sports, with all these athletes doing the 'take a knee during the anthem (heck one gal in miami took a knee WHEN SINGING the anthem).. We don't need it in other shows.

  15. #15
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,225

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    I want shows that try to add a moral or inform while entertaining. Star Trek always did this so well. It's just as relevant within comic book shows with comic books having a long history of telling morality tales.
    There's a line between a "moral of the story" and "preachyness". It's the same as the old writing proverb "Show, don't tell". To be fair, it's probably this election cycle that made me adverse to this particular instance.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I think it would be refreshing to have her be a straight shooter.. And not another 'i am bad but appear good just to lull the hero into a false sense of security'...

    Meh, I'm not terribly afraid of that. As long as it is executed well. She doesn't have to be an actual villain. Maybe Maxwell Lord style antagonist.


    Neither do i. We are already getting way to much 'preachiness in sports, with all these athletes doing the 'take a knee during the anthem (heck one gal in miami took a knee WHEN SINGING the anthem).. We don't need it in other shows.

    Totally not the same thing. But that's beyond the scope of this conversation.

  16. #16
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,322

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    POTUS is coming to town and she's a woman (played by Lynda Carter, whom I don't know other than that she played Wonder Woman once, a show I'm also not familiar with). And she wants to meet Supergirl.

    LOL @ Hank when Kara asks if she should get her hair done for the occasion.

    However, to make matters a lot more interesting, our John Doe alien goes AWOL, and the President gets attacked by a fire-spitting alien.

    Oh, that first show-off between Alex and Maggie -- territorial much. If looks could kill, they'd both be going up in smoke. However, Maggie introduces us into this whole new level of what aliens do and how their daily goings aren't much different from our own, and more importantly that not all of them are out to kill and be bad boys/girls.
    Albeit, some could do with a few more manners.

    It's a hidden world, that's opened up to us -- I liked that progression.

    Anyway, back to our Daxomite whose sole purpose of his escape is to send a message home cause he's in distress. Too bad, Daxom is no longer a viable option since it shared in Krypton's destruction. He gets his butt kicked by Supergirl and locked away for safe keeping. And the POTUS gets attacked again, so yeah he really had nothing to do with that.

    Maggie gets kidnapped. Supergirl and Alex go to her rescue. No oxygen and a good klonking with a pipe knocks Firegirl out for the count.

    Treaty is signed, and I totally called it that the President was an alien.

    We also have Kara learning to be a reporter and learns about being objective as a journalist. It's a wise lesson.

    Lena Luthor -- without knowing what follows, which I do -- I'm hoping she sticks around much longer than Maxwell Lord, and that she truly takes L Corp into a great direction, away from Lex's reputation. A force for good.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  17. #17
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,057

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Me and aretood have this disagreement. I want Lena to be a good person so we go away from the cliché that a Luthor is always evil
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  18. #18
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,322

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Katie plays evil well (see Morgana in Merlin), but I don't want Lena to be evil. Besides, she was adopted -- not a real Luthor.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  19. #19
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,057

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    You really want to start a nature vs nuture debate?

    I honestly didn't care for her in Merlin. I thought they made her evil way too fast
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  20. #20
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    35,322

    Default Re: Welcome to Earth (203)

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You really want to start a nature vs nuture debate?
    Hey, I want her to be good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I honestly didn't care for her in Merlin. I thought they made her evil way too fast
    It's the reason I stopped watching the show. I hated it.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
  2. If The Galactica Finds The Real Earth, Our Earth.......
    By Coco Pops in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
  3. Creating an Earth Galactic Union/United Systems of Earth/etc..etc...
    By donnie_darko in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: June 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: February 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •