Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Series Writer to Pen NuWho Episode

G'day,

Mr Moffat has just confirmed that an original series writer (as yet unnamed) will be writing an episode of the new series.

This is the first such occasion since the series was revived in 2005. To date, the only other "classic" writer involved with the new series was Paul Cornell, who wrote a number of "New Adventure" novels in the 1990's after the classic era's cancellation. Paul adapted his novel Human Nature into the 10th Doctor story by the same name.

To me, this is quite exciting news, though I think the only person I'd like to see a novel from who wrote in the classic era would be "Uncle Terry" (Terrance Dicks; long time writer and occasional script editor). Given the fact that the classic era was written by around 70 different authors, it's entirely possible when the announcement is made as to who the writer is, that I may not even recognise the name! (ok, that's a lie; I'll know the name cos I wrote them all down years ago on my old card file system...)

The sad news of course is that it wont be a script from the great Robert Holmes, given that he died before the classic era was even cancelled... but maybe it will be someone exciting like Johnny Byrne (nope dammit he's dead) or Chris Bidmead...

Cheers

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

It might be Terrance Dicks, but I heard he wasn't interested in writing for the new series(he doesn't care for the 45-minute format). I would be especially excited if it was him, though.

Not so sure about Bidmead, since he'd probably give us a technobabble-heavy surrealist episode.

Maybe Bob Baker, who's expressed interest and did work on the K-9 spin-off? Or Ben Aaronovitch, or Eric Saward?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

And... the answer is... Rona Munro (Survival; 7th Doctor, and last episode of the classic series).

Not the most exciting news in the world, but in reality, I image there's probably not a whole lot of exciting options.

Ok - I lie - I'd love Uncle Terry to give us a new era story... But that's ok. Apparently Rona went on to become a fairly well acclaimed writer, so fingers crossed she gives us a good romp.

(And, I seem to recall that her original script was potentially better than the aired version, but was edited to better fit budget/etc...)
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      and lots more!

Comment

I am very excited for this. Survival has its flaws, but it's a great finale for the classic series.

It'd be especially interesting if Munro wrote for Missy...
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I am sure I've heard that a lot of "the problems" with Survival have been laid at other people's fault, rather than Munro's - ie changes made by the production team, whether for fiscal reasons or other... So even back then, presumably she was pretty capable... (I like Survival!)
          and lots more!

Comment

Working...
          X