No announcement yet.

Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but that scene got chopped and replaced with the acid ...
    Oh I didn't realize. Thanks for clarifying.

About the multiple timelines, something is going on for sure. How else would you explain the gun turning up in the hay in the barn at the ending? I am not sure at all, that William is the MiB, but something is UP for sure ....

I read in an interview with Nolan, that they will not touch any other worlds, at least not in the first seson ...
    Last edited by Cluas; 18 October 2016, 08:19 AM. Reason: to add

Comment

I'll go out on a limb here about the gun:
      Spoiler:
      The "partner" that died uploaded his consciousness to the mainframe and has been working to infiltrate the system ever since, in essence he is the virus spreading, he is also the one directing the androids, giving then the appearance of being delusional.

I can't explain the gun especially since it disappeared mid scene when she was folding up the linen (to me it was as if the linen triggered the memory of the gun and she was hallucinating it), I do wonder if she burried it herself sometime previously, perhaps after she shot the guy in the barn (which would of course mean we're seeing stuff out of order).

Comment

The fourth episode is the best so far... Maeve was so cool, and Ford could .... (no spoilers here) - Just watch it

Comment

The adolesent in me wishes MiB had asked for a closer look of her tattoo after the jail break

A little clue in there too to his identity, did that guy say his foundations work had saved his sisters life? I wonder if

Spoiler:
          the MiB is related to the partner that died, brother? Son?

I'm 99% sure there are no present day / flashbacks with MiB's storyline and those other two jokers, when he lit the match the woman in the control center asked the security guy about authorising a pyrotechnic, they were also in the room when they were talking about Deloris going off script and ending up with the "jokers", I know you could say it's slight of hand and two coincidental events, but I question whether that's too much of a plot twist for the viewer? Are HBO known for these kind of tricks? I don't watch any of their other series.

I do think the little chats the black guy has with Deloris we see in the beginning each episode are set after the events in the episode though, they make more sense if you watch them again after.

And Ford, oh my he's good with the mind games.
          Last edited by Ian-S; 25 October 2016, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Are HBO known for these kind of tricks? I don't watch any of their other series.
            HBO not so much, but one of the writers also wrote Memento, good movie, that has a lot of tricks like that...
            I think those scenes with Dolores and Bernard are very important. Last time, it was like she was dreaming, but that is guessing on my part ...

Comment

Well we pretty much got an answer to who MiB is in episode 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                Well we pretty much got an answer to who MiB is in episode 5.
                I don't think so. The writers have done an excellent job, at keeping the story open to both sides ... It is so ambiguous, and that is why is it great

Comment

True but he did say "this place would have gone bankrupt without me", so he likely bailed them out at some stage.

Which if you think about it actually adds fuel to that theory about the two guys that popped up a few episodes ago since they are talking about the same thing (financial investment in the park).

I still think they are all going to end up face to face in the end though, and wtf with the girl at the end!

Was this the first episode that didn't open with Deloris and the black bloke having one of their conversations?
                  Last edited by Ian-S; 01 November 2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Saw the film first time it hit TV in the late 1970's.

Just finished a catch-up binge for this new series. Love it! The multiple story lines for the workers, the mid-management, hosts and guests.... Throw in random bits of Wild West Tales and
                    Spoiler:
                    the hosts writing their own fan fic

Comment

Is

Spoiler:
                      Bernard (we see with Deloris in their conversations) actually Arnold pre-suicide and Bernard we see sleeping with Teresa a clone 30 years later? Could there even be THREE timeline stories playing out concurrently?

1) Arnold's suicide.
                      2) Williams investment.
                      3) Williams return as MiB to find Arnold's maze?

Comment

This is not spoilers really, just some thoughts...

Bernard could easily turn out to be a copy of Arnold. I am still not sure that William is the MiB. There is something more to it. But the thing is, both a linear time frame, or a past/present time frame will work. It is still very ambiguous, and that's why I like it so much ...

Comment

Yeah, we both sit on the same part of the fence there.

Comment

I already pay enough for cable, can't justify more than $200 a month...
                            My Story:
                            http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

I have just binge watched the first six episodes again and it makes sooooo much more sense if you watch from the viewpoint that:

Spoiler:

Scenes between Deloris/Bernard in the 'square room' are one story.
                              Scenes between Deloris/William are another (maybe or maybe not connected to the first).
                              Scenes involving MiB/Teddy/Elie/Bernard/Ford/Maie are another story too.

It also throws another perspective if you assume the Deloris/Bernard conversations are not as they appear but Deloris/Arnold pre-sentience / pre-Arnold death).

Some other titbits I noticed:
                              Maie is never in any scenes that happen in Deloris/William timeline, only timeline 3.
                              In episode 2, Ford addresses Bernard as 'Mr Lowe', so there is evidence for Bernard Lowe being an anagram for Arnold Weber.
                              Deloris killing the organic fly at the end of episode 1 is a huge plot point, this is where she defied her programming for the second time (if you assume she was the subject of Arnold's demise).
                              When Teddy was being beaten up before being hung from the tree, his bullets bounced off the other people, indicating they were either human or sentient hosts.

The power of suggestion is used heavily throughout, there are several scenes where plot a appears to lead to plot b, but it can't because the events in plot b are triggered in the previous episode, I could list them if you like but it'll take a while.

So I think this is what is happening:
                              Spoiler:

We are seeing a classic BSG robot rebellion, one took place in the past and was put down but probably led to the death of Arnold, the new one triggered by Dad speaking to Deloris who passed it on to Maie is the present day version of the same events playing out again.

The Ford new narrative and MiB hunt for the maze is a red herring, it ties into the main story but isn't it the main story, which is simple robot becomes self aware, robot kills master plot. The Delos subplot is the futureworld storyline pre-futureworld.

Understand? Yup it's complicated, which is why I wanted to get it written down.

I have missed out loads but here's some other things I noticed:

Spoiler:
                              The guy MiB jailbroke is a gen 1 host (like Deloris and fake-Ford family), you saw him in the Ford flashbacks.

Teddy is the host who has gone off loop, not Deloris who is by this time back in one of the glass rooms being interrogated by Ford about lying to him, after she retraced her steps by going to that village on her own after killing 'Simon'.

I'll call him 'Simon' because I can't remember his name but 'Simon' is the character the actor plays on Walking Dead. Most people assume Deloris 'found' the gun in the hay in the scene she killed him in, she didn't, she lifted it off him as he dragged her across the courtyard, when she produces the gun 'Simon' looks down, groans then compliments her on her trick of stealing his gun.

It's not the same gun she dug up in Episode 2, that's the one she'll kill Arnold or another guest with plus it was Silver, 'Simon' had a black one.
                              Last edited by Ian-S; 12 November 2016, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Oh I forgot...

Spoiler:
                                In episode 2, when William is going up the escalator, at the top standing to the right of the big screen is a man that looks suspiciously like a young Ford (same clothes etc.).

Comment

Working...
                                X