Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

Honestly could not believe there isn't a thread on this series yet.
    staring Anthony Hopkins as well as having Jonathan Nolan and j.j Abrams helping create this amazing series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/
    Based on 1973 film of the same name.

created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy
    Executive producer
    Bryan Burk
    Jerry Weintraub
    Lisa Joy
    Jonathan Nolan
    J. J. Abrams

Personal Opinion of the first 2 episodes: Amazing 9/10 for a tv series it's more then just a regular show, it presents ethical questions of A.I and just far out if you have not watch this show, just watch it.

I've watched the first two episodes and I love it so far.
    sigpic

Comment

One theory I really like I saw on HBO forum spoilers ahead
      Spoiler:

Has anyone noticed the very slight 'fade to blacks' when transitioning from a scene with William/Logan to any of the other main characters? This hints that perhaps William's storyline is actually a flashback to thirty years earlier to when the last critical failure took place. We could be seeing how William is changed and becomes the Man in Black before our very eyes and not even know it.
      Everyone has become obsessed with theorizing that the show is a sequel to the original movie of 'Westworld' but nobody has considered that they could be recreating the original AND telling the story of the sequel simultaneously.
      I believe that William's storyline will cover the events that explain how the Man in Black became the man that Ed Harris now portrays. It will show everything that he and Dolores "had been through" as Ed Harris mentioned in episode one. It will show the complete transition from him choosing the White Hat in his first orientation to him now proudly wearing the Black Hat. It will explain, in detail, what the Man in Black meant when he told Lawrence "I've been coming here for thirty years. In a sense, I was born here".

Comment

I really like it. I just saw the movie (again) it is a good movie. They are going another direction here I feel. I would love to see Mediavalworld and Romanworld in this show, like in the movie. That will be in the following seasons I guess.
        Good actors. The sets are interesting, and the glimpses behind the scenes are awesome this far...

There was also a sequel called Futureworld. Would like to see the story dare to go there ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
          I really like it. I just saw the movie (again) it is a good movie. They are going another direction here I feel. I would love to see Mediavalworld and Romanworld in this show, like in the movie. That will be in the following seasons I guess.
          Good actors. The sets are interesting, and the glimpses behind the scenes are awesome this far...

There was also a sequel called Futureworld. Would like to see the story dare to go there ...
          Well I just read that they already have 5 seasons mapped out so it wouldn't surprise me if they include other "worlds" I also wonder if the AI's actually ever will enter out in to the real world in the series

Comment

I love this too, already it's the kind of series where I loose time and am checking the time thinking it must be ending soon, only to find there's another twenty minutes left, the last series that did that to me was Continuum.

Regarding the spoiler above, I think that Ed Harris's character is one...
            Spoiler:
            of the androids who has become sentient long before the others but Hopkins character covered it up, we know his scenes are carrying on in the same time as the majority of the story because one of the staff commented on his actions and got told that client gets everything he wants and on the tablet was a view of him just before he killed the androids wife.

Also if I remember the original film correctly his character was the android who killed a client (I haven't seen the film since the 90's) but I might have got that wrong, but if he was a sentient android, it would explain why he said he was essentially born there.

I'm also pretty sure you saw Anthony Hopkins walking across the walkway at the top of the escalator while the guy was going up with the blonde (think it's him they are theorising over) which would indicate there isn't two stories running concurrently.

Comment

Two episodes are out now ... Is there interest here at GateWorld for a Westworld forum to talk about weekly episodes? Or are you all still waiting for the show to grab you?

Comment

I am sure the interest will be there... Perhaps after a few more episodes have aired ...

It is a very popular show over at IMDB, with one of the highest ratings I have ever seen in sci-fi ... Anyway, personally I would like to discuss individual episodes
                Last edited by Cluas; 14 October 2016, 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                  I love this too, already it's the kind of series where I loose time and am checking the time thinking it must be ending soon, only to find there's another twenty minutes left, the last series that did that to me was Continuum.

Regarding the spoiler above, I think that Ed Harris's character is one...
                  Spoiler:
                  of the androids who has become sentient long before the others but Hopkins character covered it up, we know his scenes are carrying on in the same time as the majority of the story because one of the staff commented on his actions and got told that client gets everything he wants and on the tablet was a view of him just before he killed the androids wife.

Also if I remember the original film correctly his character was the android who killed a client (I haven't seen the film since the 90's) but I might have got that wrong, but if he was a sentient android, it would explain why he said he was essentially born there.

I'm also pretty sure you saw Anthony Hopkins walking across the walkway at the top of the escalator while the guy was going up with the blonde (think it's him they are theorising over) which would indicate there isn't two stories running concurrently.
                  Not to ruin your theory, but just add... :
                  In the movie ....
                  Spoiler:
                  ... the gunslinger robot was actually destroyed, first with acid, then fire...

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                    Two episodes are out now ... Is there interest here at GateWorld for a Westworld forum to talk about weekly episodes? Or are you all still waiting for the show to grab you?
                    I would love this but I'm a bit bias since I was the one to start this thread hahaha.

ps. keep up the good work, stargates over for now but gateworld is still strong

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                      Not to ruin your theory, but just add... :
                      In the movie ....
                      Spoiler:
                      ... the gunslinger robot was actually destroyed, first with acid, then fire...
                      Yes i know, and another way in the alternative ending lol.

I'm actually not sure, is this Westworld a continuation of the film (hence the reference to the failure 30 years ago), or a remake kind of reimaging BSG style?

I wonder if that gun was real or a "park issue" one too? (Sure you know which one I'm talking about).

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                        Yes i know, and another way in the alternative ending lol.

I'm actually not sure, is this Westworld a continuation of the film (hence the reference to the failure 30 years ago), or a remake kind of reimaging BSG style?

I wonder if that gun was real or a "park issue" one too? (Sure you know which one I'm talking about).
                        Well as far as im aware no one has said that it's a remake or a reimagining but have stated it is based on the film. So that has been speculation that the failure 30 years ago is a reference to the film. But personally I don't agree. if it was a reference why would have we only heard about westworld so far, and wouldn't they already have an idea about the AI becoming more intelligent realizing what is going on.

Comment

I agree, I need to rewatch ep2 again as in certain parts the
                          Spoiler:
                          company logo is supposed to be different hence why some people are thinking we're seeing two different stories at the same time

Comment

Hi Ian, what did you mean, alternate ending? I've never heard of an alternate ending. You mean the book or what?

EP 3 was awesome in my opinion

Comment

Film:
                              Spoiler:
                              He was ripped apart on a torture rack, but that scene got chopped and replaced with the acid, maybe we're talking about the same thing.

I thought the endings were:
                              Big fight
                              Acid in face
                              Ripped apart on rack

It's been a long time since I watched the film

Episode 3:
                              Spoiler:

Hopefully that's put to bed the theory of two different times stories running together. I need to rewatch but I swear I saw the two guys in the same shot as that android who keeps getting killed though, and then with the girl turning up to their camp at the end.

They're defo playing with us though, making it look like the android killed that guest, and the other one committing suicide.

I do get the feeling that regardless of remake/reimaging/continuation everything is going to happen in Westworld and we're not going to see the others for a while yet.

Severe lack of beewwbs this episode too grrr.

Comment

Working...
                              X