Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I will be interested what happened with MIB as the extra scene clearly shows that the system remembers him when he has badly hurt his own fingers. And I am a bit confused how many days he was outside then.
    This scene is far in the future according to the producers

Default Re: Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

I still don't understand why we needed the ShogunWorld, if it has added almost nothing to the main plot. The whole story would have been more enjoyable, if they show the events after each other not like a nonstoply shaking puzzle. So even if season 3 was ordered, I am not sure if HBO won't axe it and probably we won't get a 4th season.
    The ShogunWorld was an intro to what's coming on Season 3. From what I gather, and from the interview of the producer, he says and I quote ''We have no intention of repeating ourselves'' aka we might not ever come back to Westworld. As for your comment on the shaking puzzle, I think this is what defines this series. You are confused throughout the whole season and get a bomb dropped on your head in the finale, so many plot twists I love it. Some don't, which is understandble

PS: I've heard they got 5 seasons mapped out, and judging from the ratings I don't think this show is going to get cancelled. Don't forget they have big names acting in there, Hopkins, Ed Harris, etc.

I am pretty late to this thread but I'd love to discuss with any WW fans! Spoilers ahead, you've been warned.

So I had to watch S2 twice to make sure I understood everything. Man is this show a mind trip! I've seen a lot of negative comments in regards to our characters
    Spoiler:
    leaving the ''western'' park. Especially considering the amount of time we've seen the same scenes in the saloon, I think a change of scenery is a good thing.

The Man in the Black Hat (TMITBH):

This is my favorite character in any TV series / movies I have ever seen. Ed Harris knows how to play a villain that's for damn sure. Absolutely on level with Hopkins performance, which I adore as well. I was proud of myself figuring out pretty early on that TMITBH was in fact the same William we see in his past life on his first time in the park. I've read a funny interview transcript with Harris where he says that neither him or the actor that plays young William were aware of this plot twist before the very last moment. Harris said he might've changed his portrayal of the character, but I think it was intended from the writers to keep it that way. Great work.

Still unclear on his fate at the end of S2, I'm getting really suspicious that he's in fact a Cylon. How quickly does he heal? I mean in late S2 he gets shot 4-5 times and still manages to move around. I also predict a major plot twist in S3 in regards to his daughters death. My bet is that TMITBH was successful in his experiments on Stello and had his consciousness uploaded in a skinjob. On a sidenote, man I had the feels for the old Stello pal. He's been resurrected, experimented on and went through so much emotional traumas over and over again for years! Glad he's been put out of his misery by Leslie, poor guy. Nobody should ever experience that.

Floki aka Karl Strand aka Gustaf Skarsgård

Man I might've been spoiled too much by Vikings, but Gustaf in this role seems really odd to me and out of place. Every time I watch him on WW I have the feeling he's holding back not to go back into Floki's role and give us these small maniacal laughs after every single line.

I love how everybody in this show have their hidden agendas, which seems to be the case with Karl.

I will follow S3, but I am not really happy the new direction of the WW. The finale and the whole second season was a disappointment. Everybody can be killed then revived, we don't know who is human and who is host now. Then even hosts are in other hosts. Sorry, but the writers overcomplicated this metaplot.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

I will follow S3, but I am not really happy the new direction of the WW. The finale and the whole second season was a disappointment. Everybody can be killed then revived, we don't know who is human and who is host now. Then even hosts are in other hosts. Sorry, but the writers overcomplicated this metaplot.
    The hosts switching bodies didn't really bother me. To be honest, I expected it since S1 and find it perfectly logical, you can swap a hard drive in a new computer can ya?

I saw a lot of similar comments towards S2, for my part I really enjoyed it. It gets confusing with the ''flashbacks'' and the ''flashfowards'', especially in the finale. I think the scenes where we see Dolores testing Bernard is far, far away into the future (Dolores says ''This is Test 17 thousands something, when interviewing Bernard).

Don't worry, I will still watch season 3. Maybe my disappointment and confusion will fade away until that time.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Captain

Regarding fun facts, re Ed Harris and Jimmy Simpson, Simpson worked it out quiet early himself because the makeup artists kept adding features to his face which he thought strange, until he saw a photo of Harris on the desk in character and it clicked, but Harris had no idea.

Also I read somewhere (Reddit AMA with Jeffrey Wright I think) that the only members of the cast that knew about the season 2 post credits scene before it aired were Harris and the lady who played his host-daughter, no one else knew other than the obvious and it came as quiet a shock to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    Regarding fun facts, re Ed Harris and Jimmy Simpson, Simpson worked it out quiet early himself because the makeup artists kept adding features to his face which he thought strange, until he saw a photo of Harris on the desk in character and it clicked, but Harris had no idea.

Also I read somewhere (Reddit AMA with Jeffrey Wright I think) that the only members of the cast that knew about the season 2 post credits scene before it aired were Harris and the lady who played his host-daughter, no one else knew other than the obvious and it came as quiet a shock to some.
    Hey Ian, I read that too, quite funny. I love how they kept the actors out of the loop so to say, makes their performance much more believable. Don't you love Ed Harris? Man is he a good villain. (I remember in S1 when he promptly shut the host off saying : Shut the f**k up I'm on vacation . Brings back memories of O'Neill getting framed for Kensey's murder that kept saying: I was on vacation!

Platschu, I would recommend to give the S2 another shot, personally I had to watch it twice to appreciate and understand all the little twists and innuendos. If you do, pay special attention to Bernard. I watched S1 when it came out, and decided to re-watch both seasons back to back.

Maybe I really need a re-watch. But it will still not revive the dead humans and dead hosts. So they saved almost everyone from season 1 only to kill them off again in season 2. Meh.

Maybe I really need a re-watch. But it will still not revive the dead humans and dead hosts. So they saved almost everyone from season 1 only to kill them off again in season 2. Meh.
    Hmm... Not all of them are dead and some that are might not be dead for good. I've learned to expect anything off this show. But I get what you're saying, they did kill a lot of them. But... are they really? Who knows.

Captain

They were told to trim the cast, it was too big.

BTW that scene where Harris told the guy to shut up cos he was on holiday it wasn't a host but a human as he was wanting to thank MiB as his foundation had saved his sisters life.

Also if you've watched all of season two, and go back and watch it again, it's interesting to see where and when Tessa Thompson changes her acting style very subtly in certain scenes to, well, you know why, all I'll say is watch her eyes in relation to her head and compare that to, erm, well you know. When she plays herself, she moves here eyes with her head when looking, when she's erm, you know, she moves her eyes first, then her head. I never rated her as an actress in season one, she seemed the worst of the bunch, but actually she's grown on me in season two.

Regarding the cast, I think everybody in the forge won't be returning, the remainder will be.

Somebody said that she appeared with two different hairstyle in season 2 and that should have been the little clue if she was herself or the host version.

Captain

Yeah the hair was slightly different too

Yep noticed that on my second watch, love the subtleties. I remember on my first watch noticing something that was strange but I was oblivious to everything until the end.

In regards of the cast size, I am absolutely not surprised. I mean they had a lot of big names and I can't even imagine the portion of the total budget that went into paying the salaries of big shots such as Hopkins and Harris.

Also read an article about the lady that plays Dolores, she complained that she wasn't paid as much as Hop and Har.

They have got such a huge budget that I doubt the salaries are the problem. They advertised season 1 as the most expensive tv season of all time. It has cost 100 million dollar / 10 episodes because of the large sets and special effects.

They have got such a huge budget that I doubt the salaries are the problem. They advertised season 1 as the most expensive tv season of all time. It has cost 100 million dollar / 10 episodes because of the large sets and special effects.
    That's insane, I guessed they had a big budget but that's just crazy.

The WestWorld set has also burnt down in California.
    https://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-set-...r-fire-2400886

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    That's insane, I guessed they had a big budget but that's just crazy.
    That's comparable to the per-episode budget on Game of Thrones, and is the same per-episode that Lucasfilm is paying for their upcoming series The Mandalorian.

You're right though -- that's a ton of money.

The WestWorld set has also burnt down in California.
    https://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-set-...r-fire-2400886
    Man, the production on this series really is cursed.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Cannot. Flippin'. Wait.

(B*itch!)
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life