Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

Have you seen the 2x07? One ofthe best and most confusing of the second season. Half of it was really brilliant with deep philosophical conversations, but the other half is a complete mess. The madness restarted there, but they tried to explain at least what was going on in 2x01-2x06. I still don't understand why we needed the ShogunWorld, if it has added almost nothing to the main plot. The whole story would have been more enjoyable, if they show the events after each other not like a nonstoply shaking puzzle. So even if season 3 was ordered, I am not sure if HBO won't axe it and probably we won't get a 4th season.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Default Re: Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

I have seen 207. Best of this season by far, beginning to end.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I have seen 207. Best of this season by far, beginning to end.
    Agreed, Im really enjoying this season.

I watched season 1 after knowing some of the spoilers so I like the mysteries an trying to work stuff out this season.

Captain

Yeah let's not forget season 1 was more than 3 years I the making, season 2 barely a year because HBO needed to rush it out to replace GoT, I think we can cut them some filler slack, it's still better than 98% of shows on to atm.

Probie

Smile Re: Westworld (HBO 2016) Series Starring Anthony Hopkins: Discussion/Spoilers

I agree completely. What I find most interesting is the ethical questions raised about AI, but also where simulated intelligence ends and conscious thought begins. Are the hosts truly AI or are they simply working to a program that makes them look intelligent and interactive. The first season was great and the second is excellent.

Captain

My personal opinion, despite what CradleFord said, is

Spoiler:
    only Maive is truely sentient AI, the rest just think they are and are still running a narrative, yes a narrative that involves "burning this place to the ground", but a narrative all the same, they are free to make their own decisions about how they carry out that narrative, but not free to decide whether they follow it or not.

CradleFord said she was "free", not that she was "sentient", for anybody else I wouldn't read anything into it, but this is Ford we're talking about so they are two completely different things lol.
    Last edited by Ian-S; June 10th, 2018 at 02:47 PM.

I believe the twist will be that the outside world, the shiny skyscrapers will be part of the FutureWorld. That will break Dolores that her little rebellion was for nothing as the park is part of a bigger park.

Or they make an HBO serieses mega-crossover and Westeros will be the MediavalWorld, while Rome will be RomanWorld.
    https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aAD6YM2_460s.jpg
    Last edited by Platschu; June 10th, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Captain

Interesting, hadn't thought of it that way.

I wonder if William will end up in the same position as James Delos though, his (William's) daughter seem pretty intent on making him suffer, but without actually killing him.

I believe William is also a host, but he doesn't know it about himself. Maybe Ford has replaced him long time ago, so that would explain why he has spent years in the WestWorld.

Captain

That's why he

Spoiler:
    starts cutting into his arm in episode 9 after he thinks he killed his daughter (I don't think she is dead, he took a few bullets too and is still limping around), I think even he is starting to suspect whether he is a host or not, and we already know that as soon as James Delos became aware he was a host, he'd go nuts.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a host, me and a friend talked about that in season one and came to the conclusion that it would be a too obvious plot point and a bit of a disappointment, but thinking about it, it would be a good twist now that they have introduced Emily and seemingly she wants to punish him for his past, wouldn't it be cruel irony for her to try and scan his brain into the system to find out he is already in there? Especially if he does dig into his right arm to look for the use port and doesn't find one (it's in the left lol).

I was getting confused when Bernard was popping up in 2 different locations seemingly in the same timezone

Captain

Which one was that? I've seen someone else mention that but couldn't work out what they were referring too.

Remember the two main timelines (party massacre and two weeks later) have almost caught up to one another, the Ghost Nation guy Dolores executes in episode 09 party massacre timeline is the same guy they take the 'brain' out of in episode 01 just after Bernard wakes up on the beech which is the beginning part of the 'two weeks later' story.

It's all very confusing lol

2x10

This one was one of the worst season finale what I have ever seen in my life.I have not been so misleaded and disappointed since the series finale of LOST. This episode was a complete disaster on every level. No real character improvments at all, it was just a philosophical debate mixed with same action scenes. The average viewers won't be able to follow the overcomplicated storylines now about in and out and deeper in and wilder out. Chaotic. It was a complete disaster to finish the season with this story as there was nocatarsis, no cliffhanger at the end. I am not joking, it was really, really that bad. Probably I will still watch season 3, but this show has jumped the shark and I can only hope that HBO will quickly axe it to finish off this misery. I am at edge of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    Which one was that? I've seen someone else mention that but couldn't work out what they were referring too.

Remember the two main timelines (party massacre and two weeks later) have almost caught up to one another, the Ghost Nation guy Dolores executes in episode 09 party massacre timeline is the same guy they take the 'brain' out of in episode 01 just after Bernard wakes up on the beech which is the beginning part of the 'two weeks later' story.

It's all very confusing lol
    When he was with the woman we all thought he killed, they were headquarters (I think it was headquarters) and he was also with that crazy lady in charge being interrogated. I think it was established that it was actually different periods in time after all. It was hard keeping track of all the different characters and varying timelines

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    2x10

This one was one of the worst season finale what I have ever seen in my life.I have not been so misleaded and disappointed since the series finale of LOST. This episode was a complete disaster on every level. No real character improvments at all, it was just a philosophical debate mixed with same action scenes. The average viewers won't be able to follow the overcomplicated storylines now about in and out and deeper in and wilder out. Chaotic. It was a complete disaster to finish the season with this story as there was nocatarsis, no cliffhanger at the end. I am not joking, it was really, really that bad. Probably I will still watch season 3, but this show has jumped the shark and I can only hope that HBO will quickly axe it to finish off this misery. I am at edge of it as well.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

* freeze all motor functions *
    * rewrite DigiFluid's loyalty *

Here is a nice WW timeline chart. SPOILERS :
    https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images...-960-12124.png
    Last edited by Platschu; July 1st, 2018 at 11:32 PM.

Captain

I think it's you that needs to enter analysis mode lol.

The finale was as expected, tied up all the storylines, used a maguffin to fix everything (DoloresHaleBot) and generally gave us what we all wanted. The only things that annoyed me were:

Lack of clarity, only one line was needed from one of the techs to say they had patched Clementine and so she was immune to Maive's SuperAdmin privileges, they had plenty of time to slip it in, all it was needed during the demo was Hale asking if Maive could stop her, and the tech saying no, we patched her. Because without this, it made the entire Valley Beyond scenes pointless because as soon as Clementine rode up, Maive should have used the mesh network to shut her down.

Lack of more HaleBot, in season 1 we worked out Bernard and Arnold because of the special little thing they slipped in, in this season they aparantly didn't tell Tessa Thompson until very late she was playing Dolores in certain scenes so it's only in the finale do we see her doing the eye thing (looking with her eyes first, then moving her head to follow like Dolores does), so the continuity of it was all wrong because she should have been doing that in all the two weeks later scenes but wasn't.

This is the only HBO thing I watch other than John Oliver, so can a GoT fan tell me, did they tone down the nudity in season two of that too? Or did it continue to the level of season one? I know I'm probably way off base, but I wonder if the lack of nudity in season two has also contributed to the skydiving viewership figures for Westworld.

Oh and how the heck did that bear get in the map room?
    Last edited by Ian-S; July 2nd, 2018 at 02:21 AM.

SEASON 1-2 SPOILERS

Somebody said that Hale's hair style was the clue whether she is Hale or Dolores.

Nudity was toned down. Maybe the metoo campaign had an effect on the show as there were some news how the extras must have signed a contract to perform nude scenes. 2 years have passed since seaosn 1, so maybe they didn't want to repeat the same negative gossips.

I will be interested what happened with MIB as the extra scene clearly shows that the system remembers him when he has badly hurt his own fingers. And I am a bit confused how many days he was outside then.

The only reason I was so pissed off with the finale as they have thrown away all the characters. I mean the hosts can be resurrected any time. So even if Maeve and her crew's death were dramatic, then why would the viewers worry about them in the future? What was the role of the Japanese girl? She looked like a wasted character as she hasn't done anything useful after shooting a few arrows.

Then they have sacrificed 3 important human characters. Now we know that even they can be rebuilt from memories, but this is also a cheating from the writers. I was not happy to see Elsie die in season 1, but that was an unexpected dramaturgic plot twist. Then they have brought her back, but she hardly had any major role in this season then following Bernard.

I didn't like how they sacrificed the writer guy (Lee Sizemore). Now he had his famous speech, he became the man what he always wanted to be. But then? I believe he died for nothing.

Because I would accept the crazy twisted timeline game, but I have felt we were cheated in this season. When they kill everyone in a season finale episode as part of the cliffhanger then normally they never kill off anyone. So I expected a bit more creativity from the writers, but we will see how season 3 will work.

Captain

Well, we didn't see Sizemore laying dead on the beach (there were piles of hosts on one side, and neatly laid out humans the other - he wasn't in either), so until it's confirmed, you know what they say, until you see the body, he isn't dead, they also paid special attention to MiB's daughter being in the dead human line too.

I suspect Elsie may be reserected by Bernard next season, he said earlier in the season she was the only person he could trust, so yup, we know human/host hybrids work if they are built from the memories of a donor host, they just don't work when The Forge tries to build them from brain scans it's collected over the years. It would also be a fittingly ironic arc for her character all things considered.

Everybody in The Valley Beyond is not coming back according to the producers, they are gone forever, which is good because there were some that were annoying. But then they said the same about Ford so hey ho.

Btw, the co-ordinates of where Dolores sent The Valley Beyond was South Korea, we all assume Arnold's house was mainland China, but what if it wasn't? You see what I'm sayin? Maybe she beamed it to a server in Arnold's toilet?

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Linda06 View Post
    When he was with the woman we all thought he killed, they were headquarters (I think it was headquarters) and he was also with that crazy lady in charge being interrogated. I think it was established that it was actually different periods in time after all. It was hard keeping track of all the different characters and varying timelines
    That was a memory, indicated by the quick flashing of black before switching timelines. Whenever we switched timelines with Bernard, they'd do that strange strobing thing, similar to how they did the timeline switching for Dolores with the fade to black in season 1/2.