Supergate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supergate

I'm confused about something said TAoT. They used the ZPM on Odyssey to open the supergate to the Ori galaxy, but Carter they couldn't keep it open indefinitely. However, I was under the impression that the black hole would/could keep it open forever. So which is it?

The black hole doesn't power the gate. It's just that time dilation ensures that much less energy is needed to keep it open. (as the gate's time lags behind the rest of the universe)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      The black hole doesn't power the gate. It's just that time dilation ensures that much less energy is needed to keep it open. (as the gate's time lags behind the rest of the universe)
      You're right about that. The "black hole" doesn't power the gate, it's the singularity that makes up the black hole that powers the gate. How else would you explain Odyssey opening the super gate from the black hole in the Pegasus galaxy that could potentially keep the gate open forever. The same way the stargate on Kallana was kept opening past the 38 minute window when they tried to create the first super gate in Beachhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
        You're right about that. The "black hole" doesn't power the gate, it's the singularity that makes up the black hole that powers the gate. How else would you explain Odyssey opening the super gate from the black hole in the Pegasus galaxy that could potentially keep the gate open forever. The same way the stargate on Kallana was kept opening past the 38 minute window when they tried to create the first super gate in Beachhead.
        No. A planet-mass black hole couldn't power a lightbulb if it tried. (output for a 1-earth-mass black hole is 10^-18 watts)

How to explain it? via the mechanism of SGA's "Home". Only an initial power surge is needed to open the gate. After that, the other side can take over. For dialing the Ori galaxy, we already know their side powers it primarily. With the (dual) black holes you basically only need power for 1 second to run it for, say, 10 due to the time difference. Odyssey can power the initial surge with a ZPM and then the Ori galaxy takes over.

With "Pegasus project" it's safe to assume the Supergate's own powersupply is enough for a short-range (compared to the ori connection) connection. It doesn't take a ZPM to dial Pegasus, far less in fact. Atlantis dialed home regularly (weekly i believe) with no impact on the ZPM, and even a near-dead ZPM could make the connection. I bet an ori mothership's power supply or an Aurora's reactor can easily do it. The supergate's basic powersupply (IE to keep it running, recognizing incoming connections etc, what the DHD does in the MW) is likely on a similar order and this it's safe to assume it can easily power such a connection.

In a way, milky way and pegasus gates not having their own internal power supply (in stead needing a separate DHD) is probably their biggest flaw.

Anyway, supergates are massive and easily could have the Ori version of a ZPM in every segment. I don't see why, after all their godly and sometimes insane feats of power (IE a planetary shield) they would suddenly not be able to just jam their form of ZPM into everything including Supergates. I never understood why the writers made the "blackhole powering comment" when the black hole never powered the connection in the very episode they mentioned. Even "A matter of Time" did not have the black hole powering the gate: By time dilation, the gate stayed open. It never broke the 38 minute rule, it's just that time has slowed so much that barely a second passed in the time that hours passed for us. In perhaps thousands of years the gate would've disconnected.

Comment

Then how do you explain the Earth's stargate not shutting down when they dialed the planet in A Matter of Time????? The black hole wouldn't let the SGC shut down their gate. It took the blast of a nuke to force the wormhole to jump to another gate

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
            Then how do you explain the Earth's stargate not shutting down when they dialed the planet in A Matter of Time????? The black hole wouldn't let the SGC shut down their gate. It took the blast of a nuke to force the wormhole to jump to another gate
            Because the 38 minute limit hadn't passed.

Comment

Working...
            X