Michael Weatherly in "Bull"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Weatherly in "Bull"

Well. Premier ep of this new show of our beloved "tony Di'nozzo" is a wrap.. Interesting premise, a Jury 'selection group', geared to ensure the jury votes your way.. Though i wonder.. Is that legal? Could it be seen as jury tampering/manipulation??

Not if its before the trial. The prosecution and defense does that all the time to pick the people they think will side with them
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Before the trial they can pretty much do what they want. BUt they cannot speak to any member of the jury during the trail. Nor can the jury members speak to them. Even saying 'hello' in the hall can be seen as inappropriate.

I was once up for a jury where the rules were laid out.

Trying to pick the jury that will vote your way is legal and is often done in high profile and high stakes trials. In the more mundane cases it's often up to the lawyer to try and pick someone they think will vote their way.

the show might be OK, but also if it's nothing more than the rich using the service to get their guilty selves off, i can see it striking a bad chord with viewers. But if it maintains the whole 'solve the mystery' that might hold peoples' interest.

At this point in time, however, I don't see it lasting beyond a season. Tucked between the two NCIS' it has an advantage and probably more ratings than it'd have on its own.

In a lot of ways, I saw Tony DiNozzo in an almost Gibbs role....confident in how he reads people and being a bit of a smart aleck and rather cynical.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        the show might be OK, but also if it's nothing more than the rich using the service to get their guilty selves off, i can see it striking a bad chord with viewers. But if it maintains the whole 'solve the mystery' that might hold peoples' interest.
        It did kind of have that sort of feel to me too, since using those sorts of services are pricy from what i hear..

Comment

Oh yeah, you often get the best justice money can buy. :/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Well. Premier ep of this new show of our beloved "tony Di'nozzo" is a wrap.. Interesting premise, a Jury 'selection group', geared to ensure the jury votes your way.. Though i wonder.. Is that legal? Could it be seen as jury tampering/manipulation??
            This happens in many trials around the country, so apparently it is legal. It's been going on for many years.

Comment

True, and one of my fave "jury trial based" films was the one, Runaway jury where, John Cusack and Rachel Weist dick over Gene Hackman cause they DO manipulate the jury...

Comment

There is a whole industry based on choosing the best jury for your client. However, there are limits. Each attorney has a limited number of what are called pre-emptory challenges to jury members (for which they don't have to give a reason) as well as being able to challenge for cause (e.g., the potential juror is the sister of the victim). And a biased jury is grounds for an appeal of a criminal conviction.

Of course, only convicted criminals can appeal. If the suspect is found not guilty, the prosecutor generally can't do anything about it (except withhold one of the charges, go out and find more evidence, then retry the criminal on the new charge [note, since it's a different charge, this is not considered double jeopardy], if there is one).

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I enjoyed Michael Weatherly as always but I thought this first episode was kinda predictable.
                  We'll see how other eps go.

Comment

Its like the reboot of macgyver....gotta give it an episode or three to see how it goes before I declare it as a hit or miss

sigpic

Comment

My BFF watched it (MacGyver) and from her description it doesn't seem to be any different from any other adventure show. The independent, do it all myself aspect, and the pacifism are both gone.

Do you agree?

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Not to go too horribly off topic, or maybe we need a mac reboot thread but....the pilot was pretty cliche.
                        Spoiler:

I love George Eads but, and maybe this is me watching him for years on CSI, but it seems like he is playing a character older than him and I just can't see him as ex Delta Force.
                        The actor playing Mac, well he could be a stunt double for Matt Smith so I kept expecting him to whip out a sonic screwdriver and run into the Tardis....and he also seems way too young for the experience he's supposed to have.
                        I have no issue with them turning Pete Thornton into Patricia, however, in the pilot anyway, we're back to the SHeppard and Rodney defying Weir who lets them get away with it cause it all turns out well in the end thing. Why put a female in charge if the subordinate male leads will just ignore her and do what they want anyway?
                        To be fair, I think mac did defy Pete more than once, but the role didn't seem written well.
                        I didn't see enough of the new female to make a good judgement on her, wel'll see what she's like in following episodes.
                        Mac's girlfriend and ex teammate going rogue and pretending to be dead...pretty cliche.

It's not MacGyver, it's Team Phoenix, it's a team show, not one guy slipping in to fix things.

Honestly, if you're looking for a 'team fix things' show, go for Scorpion.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          Not to go too horribly off topic, or maybe we need a mac reboot thread but....the pilot was pretty cliche.
                          Spoiler:

I love George Eads but, and maybe this is me watching him for years on CSI, but it seems like he is playing a character older than him and I just can't see him as ex Delta Force.
                          The actor playing Mac, well he could be a stunt double for Matt Smith so I kept expecting him to whip out a sonic screwdriver and run into the Tardis....and he also seems way too young for the experience he's supposed to have.
                          I have no issue with them turning Pete Thornton into Patricia, however, in the pilot anyway, we're back to the SHeppard and Rodney defying Weir who lets them get away with it cause it all turns out well in the end thing. Why put a female in charge if the subordinate male leads will just ignore her and do what they want anyway?
                          To be fair, I think mac did defy Pete more than once, but the role didn't seem written well.
                          I didn't see enough of the new female to make a good judgement on her, wel'll see what she's like in following episodes.
                          Mac's girlfriend and ex teammate going rogue and pretending to be dead...pretty cliche.

It's not MacGyver, it's Team Phoenix, it's a team show, not one guy slipping in to fix things.

Honestly, if you're looking for a 'team fix things' show, go for Scorpion.
                          Wrong thread dude..

Comment

Garhkal, she was specifically answering a question I'd asked. I wasn't aware that short digressions were impermissible. I'm sorry.

I've decided that Bull is not my kind of show. I generally don't watch legal shows (because all the things they have to get wrong for the sake of the plot drive me nuts), and this one is all about trials, to boot.

Seaboe

Comment

Bull is rather dry and I can't say that I have any loyalty to it. I think I'd rather switch over and watch dungeon cove or wish that agents of shield was on at 8

It can be interesting to see how they manipulate people, however once you see it a few times it'd old hat.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X