Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Major General

Default ABC's Designated Survivor

An interesting looking new show with Kiefer Sutherland, The Designated Survivor is going to start airing this coming Wednesday on ABC..
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/state...ry?id=28329585

The premise is rather intriguing and i will be giving it a whirl.. Anyone else?

Default Re: ABC's Designated Survivor

I'm planning on giving it a try.

I will try also
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Me too. It looks interesting. We'll see if it has a good story or if it gets too caught up in solving some grand conspiracy and gets lost in the intrigue

Major General

Well, the premier ep is in the bag, and i am liking it. I loved how that we initially had no idea who he was, then they did the "15 hrs earlier" aspect.. Though why the 'rebellious drug peddling teen kid" i don't know.

And looking at it, i am seriously wondering was that bombing a set up BY the US military (or some other entity to cause chaos for their own ends... Certainly looks like it with how the US military general in that room seemed to act..
    And i LOVED how Kiefer handled himself against the Iranian ambassador!

Spoiler:
    Totally agree about the no kid gloves approach to the Iranians.

I don't think the military carried out the attack or sponsored it. I think that General is just an opportunistic type who considers the new POTUS as too weak to lead the country. Based on Kiefer's handling of the Iranians, I suspect he's in for a surprise.

Looks like an interesting show, I've tagged it for DVR'ing. Just have to see how it plays out.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

(Moderator)

IF anyone masterminded the bombing
    Spoiler:
    it's whomever thought they'd have Keifer's job and would have been prez, but he didn't get fired/reassigned fast enough.
    I do tend to agree, the general is simply scared pooless and thinks the prez is a weak geek and feels the need to bluster and take command.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    And i LOVED how Kiefer handled himself against the Iranian ambassador!
    He basically went 95% Jack Bauer in that scene.

Major General

Well, 2 eps in and i am actually liking it.. Though one thing that gets me.. OK we had the west wing, which focused on the democratic admin, Madam Secretary, also focusing on/around democratic hot topics, and several other tv shows/films on the white house/president, and most of them also had it being democrats.. And now this one, ALSO democrat.

Is it just me, or is there one heck of a willful bias there on that angle?

The media is heavily biased to the left. The only way you'll ever see a major network air a series about a Republican administration is if it is portrayed as crooked, incompetent or otherwise undesirable.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

(Moderator)

Without this dissolving into political junk (which it wont) the cliche for a republican admin is that it's conservative and 'hard right' leaning.....not exactly in line with a network show trying to show and/or not run afoul of more liberal leanings....and viewers.

Make a show based around hard right conservative mindsets and the producers will face no end of crit about being predjudice, sexist or racist. Making it based around a more liberal administration then they avoid that crit.

Would a network show survive if it portrayed those trying to ban abortion, or women's rights or gay marriage as the heroes?

I've personally never saw Madame Secretary to be liberal. I don't think they ever stated the political party of the current adminstation. The issues presented in that show occur no matter the political party
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Without this dissolving into political junk (which it wont) the cliche for a republican admin is that it's conservative and 'hard right' leaning.....not exactly in line with a network show trying to show and/or not run afoul of more liberal leanings....and viewers.

Make a show based around hard right conservative mindsets and the producers will face no end of crit about being predjudice, sexist or racist. Making it based around a more liberal administration then they avoid that crit.

Would a network show survive if it portrayed those trying to ban abortion, or women's rights or gay marriage as the heroes?
    And what about the critics about the consistent liberal bias?? Do those criticisms not count?

(Moderator)

There is nothing in the world that isn't criticized or that someone gets their knickers in a knot over.

What some see as a liberal bias others see as catering to a popular opinion. And vice versa.

I'm 15 minutes into episode two and this show is screaming political opinion. It will be impossible to discuss many aspects of the show while at the same time avoiding politics.

Perhaps a thread for the show can be created in Off-Topic Chatter.

I'm getting the same vibe off of the FBI agent? Hannah as I did from Allison on "The Last Ship". She's a plant for someone.

Major General

The one who found the bomb being a possible plant?
    I don't get that vibe from her..

(Moderator)

I'm betting someone else was originally supposed to be the DS. A last minute change altered who was supposed to be the next president

Major General

Well, that was an interesting 3rd ep..
    Spoiler:
    First off, the hack coming THAT close to when the President ranted at those mil brass about "Get me proof", and loooky here, here's the proof he just so happens to need. TOO coincidential for my liking. Now while i MIGHT be able to believe a terror group could hack in and knock out power, i can't see them hacking into the white house, ONTO one specific computer and then planting a video "confirming it", seems VERY suspicious..

Then came the whole showing of that video to the blond senator. Especially coming right after HE himself told everyone else, "This doesn't leave this room"..
    And ON her, i find it highly suspicious that the republicans would have done their OWN DS without anyone else knowing about it like it seems they did..

Then onto the whole how he handled the Leaker.. Rather than accepting his resignation (heck imo he should have JAILED him for releasing a national secret like that), he PROMOTED him to his chief of staff, doing exactly what the generals wanted?? Man was that one hell of a dunce move..

IMO the only real good positive i found in it all, was that one FBI agent who did the research finding out that the one 'survivor' mysteriously decided to walk off 6 seconds or so after the camera's went out, just before the big boom....

Major General

Loved today's ep.. Especially liked how he stood up to that general and fired his ass, AS well as arrested the governor from Michigan. BUT i wonder what he is going to do with that general who not just ignored him, but said in essence "I don't recognize you as commander in chief"...

I also liked how the speech writer stepped up like that to chat with the press..