No announcement yet.

ZPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if he built a zpm... he must have used ancient genetic gifts to get it to work.... because they couldnt replicate it

Comment

Originally posted by pro View Post
      Maybe they came up with ZPMs in the galaxy of Ida.
      Remember that O'Neill built a ZPM when he had the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded in his brain and that he dialled the gate to the Ida galaxy
      O'neill did not built a ZPM. A ZPM extracts vacuum energy from an artificially created region of subspace time. O'neill's device did not do that. The only thing that they have in common is that they were both able to produce enough energy to dial another galaxy, but a number of things could theoretically do that including the energy sources used by the Asgard.

where the Asgard said "The Ancients moved on from this place a long time ago"

It is quite possible that the Ancients came up with ZPM technology there, maybe..
      To be more accurate, he said "our region of space." That is more likely a reference to their cluster of galaxies, which includes the Milky Way. The Asgard also have nothing to do with ZPMs (they use neutrino-ion generators), so I'm not sure how Jack looking to them for help removing the Ancient knowledge from his head makes you think the Ancients built ZPMs in the Ida galaxy. The information in his head didn't take him to the place where the information to make his device came from, it took him to the Ancient's technologically advanced allies because he rightly assumed they would have the technological capability to help him.

Comment

zpms could have been researched anywhere in thoery, they may not even have been researching energy at first but interdimensional travel and the work may as well have been part of their efforts to explore higher planes of existence that lead to useing pocket universes as a theortical energy source

Comment

Originally posted by pro View Post
          Maybe they came up with ZPMs in the galaxy of Ida.
          Remember that O'Neill built a ZPM when he had the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded in his brain and that he dialled the gate to the Ida galaxy where the Asgard said "The Ancients moved on from this place a long time ago"

It is quite possible that the Ancients came up with ZPM technology there, maybe..
          No no no, that's wrong. O'Neill built a CAPACITOR, not a ZPM. It was a device simply meant to channel more energy from Earth's power grid into the gate without destroy the circuits.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
            We know that Atlantis was built on Earth as indicated by the pilot where it was seen taking off from Antarctica. So obviously the Ancients made their own ZPMs to power it. The expedition that found Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy had access to all their knowledge. So why can't McCay figure out how to make their own ZPMs?
            This is very easy question: in database was not information about how to create ZPM + does not have materials for create ZPM.

McCay is genius but without information and materials he can't create their own ZPM, it is just impossible to do.
            sigpic

Comment

eh they do not need zpms either way, they should work on more efficient batteries
              then use fusion neutrino energy to charge said batteries, or naquadriah generators... if they could get naquadriah to stay predictable useing ancient data that might work, or asgard data etc

Comment

Hey!

You guys seem to really like ZPMs, I write fanficition and need some help with the science behind how ZPMs are made.

Do you think you could provide me with your best guess on how a ZPM would be made?

Thanks
                sigpic
                JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
                Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
                Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

Originally posted by John's PuddleJumper View Post
                  Hey!

You guys seem to really like ZPMs, I write fanficition and need some help with the science behind how ZPMs are made.

Do you think you could provide me with your best guess on how a ZPM would be made?

Thanks
                  Here's a video that talks about zero point...not sure if the writers had this in mind or not. However the conclusion of the video doesn't lend itself to the plausibility of using Zero Point energy to fly Atlantis.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh898Yr5YZ8

He sounds like Carter though so...brace yourself.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

a zpm is somewhat like a white hole... which they later approached in a series they made called dark matter useing the same cast etc

basically i always pictured a zpm has a sustained micro scopic black hole, it acts as a battery and energy is charged into it, and the blackhole is stable somehow not sustaining hawking radiation effects for the most part.... which is linked to why it doesnt expand or crush anything either... just a way i imagine a zpm holding that sort of power while being rechargable, why else would it be removable like that? if it was a dimensional bridge .... well it looks too much like something that would contain everything it needs in itself without any thing else.... of course maybe black holes are bridges to other universes who knows... sooo

oh on a sidenote heres something really cool... it feels like they may be right with thier theory, which is pretty awesome in a way, but freaky deaky also... uhhh anyways... its probably only a part of a very complex and far far beyond even their theorie's truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Here's a video that talks about zero point...not sure if the writers had this in mind or not. However the conclusion of the video doesn't lend itself to the plausibility of using Zero Point energy to fly Atlantis.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh898Yr5YZ8

He sounds like Carter though so...brace yourself.
                      thanks, my head has just imploded with over load It was very informative.
                      sigpic
                      JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
                      Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
                      Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

Comment

Working...
                      X