ZPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZPMs

We know that Atlantis was built on Earth as indicated by the pilot where it was seen taking off from Antarctica. So obviously the Ancients made their own ZPMs to power it. The expedition that found Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy had access to all their knowledge. So why can't McCay figure out how to make their own ZPMs?

Perhaps the fact we have not found any actual info in the database on how to do so.. Plus the tech to do so we have not located either.

Comment

Or quite simply, McKay is too stupid to do it, a.k.a not Ancient-smart.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Or quite simply, McKay is too stupid to do it, a.k.a not Ancient-smart.
        I'll agree there. McKay is of course convinced otherwise. I expect that somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy is a long disused ZPM factory....

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy72 View Post
          I'll agree there. McKay is of course convinced otherwise. I expect that somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy is a long disused ZPM factory....
          Highly unlikely.

Considering the lifetime of these things, i'd put my money on each being custom made as needed.

Comment

And how do we know that ZPM factory is Only in the pegasus galaxy? Remember they took atlantis FROM HERE to there..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              And how do we know that ZPM factory is Only in the pegasus galaxy? Remember they took atlantis FROM HERE to there..
              The "factory" would almost certainly have to be on Atlantis. The same way the chamber that McCay used to open to matter bridge to an alternate universe was located. Given that fact that there ZPMs scattered throughout Pegasus and entrusted to the "brotherhood" for safe keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
                The "factory" would almost certainly have to be on Atlantis. The same way the chamber that McCay used to open to matter bridge to an alternate universe was located. Given that fact that there ZPMs scattered throughout Pegasus and entrusted to the "brotherhood" for safe keeping.
                Atlantis is a city, not a factory. It has no facilities that hint at anything industrial. In fact, the ancients have nothing that hints at any form of industrialism, as the closest we got is Destiny.

And why would they? Anything the ancients built lasted millions of years. They're not like us, they're not replacing their cellphones ever 2 years. Three near-depleted ZPM's kept Atlantis functioning for 10 000 years. How long would full ones last? We've seen them do crazy stuff forever again and again. I'd be surprised if they needed more than a ZPM per millenium. A single well-equipped lab is probably all they need, and that lab is probably doing other things right now.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Atlantis is a city, not a factory. It has no facilities that hint at anything industrial. In fact, the ancients have nothing that hints at any form of industrialism, as the closest we got is Destiny.

And why would they? Anything the ancients built lasted millions of years. They're not like us, they're not replacing their cellphones ever 2 years. Three near-depleted ZPM's kept Atlantis functioning for 10 000 years. How long would full ones last? We've seen them do crazy stuff forever again and again. I'd be surprised if they needed more than a ZPM per millenium. A single well-equipped lab is probably all they need, and that lab is probably doing other things right now.

good point, but obviously they had some power needs the ZPM's didn't fulfill - the episode McKay and Mrs Miller and the lab they worked in - the universe-bridge to pull power from other universes was a sign of that.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy72 View Post
                    good point, but obviously they had some power needs the ZPM's didn't fulfill - the episode McKay and Mrs Miller and the lab they worked in - the universe-bridge to pull power from other universes was a sign of that.
                    That device was based off the Arcturus reactor from "Trinity" , it wasn't originally built by the ancients

Comment

And didn't the ancients MAKE that reactor, but shut it down cause it was flawed?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        And didn't the ancients MAKE that reactor, but shut it down cause it was flawed?
                        You mean the Arcturus device? Yup. However the one in atlantis we built, as "brainstorm" proves we can make such matter bridges ourselves. Presumably we dug up the blueprints of Arcturus (or got them from the facility before it blew up).

Comment

I find it hard to believe that the 10k year Dr. Weir didn't ask Janus what the Ancients was for the ZPMs. If the expedition knew the actual name of them they could find the blueprints in the database and make their own

Comment

Ancients name, i meant

Comment

In the interest of our curiosity, we should discover it in our time. With great power, comes great responsibility and humankind is simply too young to handle that kind of power.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X