Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished watching Farscape for the first time ever in 2016! [spoiler alert]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching Farscape for the first time ever in 2016! [spoiler alert]

Hi everyone, I just finished watching Farscape for the first time ever!! from season 1 - 4 and the Peacekeeper Wars and it's 2016!! and i'm actually kind of depressed, not because it was a bad thing but because i loved it so much and now it's over, so I had to find a place to share my feelings.

I'm a 36 year guy that works a 9-5 and I live by myself, i don't really have a life so i like to escape in movies and sci-fi (i'm pretty good at it)... I started watching Farscape about 3 months ago, an episode at a time before I went to bed. At first i didn't really like it and thought it was B-grade, I thought John talked funny like he was slow and always slurring, and i was never really into the other aliens, i thought they were too over the top and the show felt boring with old graphics. And i couldn't get attracted to Aeryn, at first i didn't think she was pretty and her voice was kinda of coarse and i was like how am i going to get into this (i mean this is why guys get hooked into series and all right). But i said keep going because of so many good reviews out there and that this was the normal process of starting a series i told myself. (i'm not a big tv series watcher, more into movies).

Then I don't know how but the show started clicking for me. I started seeing how funny it could be and that it was witty I guess, for me anyways.....and how each episode was like a little adventure where they had to get out of a jam with some adolescent but witty humor thrown in. It's strange but the first character to make me keep watching was Rygel, his jokes would just crack me up and I'd always look forward to him swooping in and letting off a funny one liner. (I think he was the funniest in season 1 and they made him more of an unlikable character after that because he was stealing the show But that can be for another discussion).

That and i'll say the episode where John was viewed as being the alien instead of the other way around is when the show really started clicking and i saw just how intelligent it could be.

And then it hit me. I don't know exactly when but it was definitely a slow building up, but all of sudden out of nowhere it just hit - WHAM - i could see just how gorgeous Aeryn was!....and then i just started noticing it in every scene.....like how pretty her hair was and and how perfect the little strands would fray away from her forehead and ears in her pony tail. And it was just like every single thing about her, the scene where her and John start going at it when their trapped in that little ship with no oxygen (and the music score, like how it was some sort of romantic revelation) It turned out to be so fitting because, yes, I was having my own revelation about just how much of an absolute goddess Aeryn Sun was (is). Or the scene before her and John make love for the first time and she's sitting blankly on the bed with John beside her and her gorgeous neck is perched ever so slightly.

I was hooked and i started rewinding scenes over and over, like the first episode in of season 2 where there hugging each other on the ground by pilot!!....i loved it so much lolll.....and how i wished so much i could be John lollllll.........(i know i'm a loser, but i loved every moment of it!)....

Anyways i started watching the show more and more, sometimes 2 or 3 episodes a night. There were so many memorable moments but Season 4 was just spectacular and every episode was like an intense stand alone drama piece. They nailed it in season 4 and i found myself savoring each show limiting myself to only one per night, i was like "please don't end please don't end". And then the last episode of season 4 was like, my heart and stomach just fell out from underneath me. I was seriously effected but I didn't want to know how it all ended because I still had Peacekeeper Wars to watch and i was like "yes! yes!" when i found out it was to be continued and there was a part 2. I was able to prolong my one joy in a life a short while longer but it's ended now and i'm feeling kinda of depressed because the series ended like 15 years ago,...and then i start thinking about all that and how we all kinda wish we could back in time and everything.....

Anyway, it's why i sought a forum to get that out, and i did (do) actually love the Farscape drama and i kinda do feel better by seeing just how much of a loser i am for being too hung up on this as i was writing this (i actually googled "depressed after watching tv series" and one of the recommendations was to vent about it in a forum.....ya it kinda works)

Anyways, i've started watching all the old interviews and i'm going to get into the comic con stuff. I am crushing on Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) so badly right now (i think that's a big part of my feeling so empty right now) so i'm just youtubing everything about her even though it's making me crush on her even more which is making me sadder in many ways. I've already downloaded Stargate SG 1 season 8 and i'm just gonna jump right to the episode where she makes her first appearance. Or at least i'm gonna save that for later as i haven't fully gotten Farscape out of my mind. And i kinda don't want to really because it was just so wonderful, and like you don't want to betray it.....you know that feeling?...after you've read an awesome book or finished an awesome series!!... and you just want it to linger on for a while longer..

You may think I am a total loser lol.......I can understand that, but I just loved the whole Farscape experience and wish it didn't end and writing this is a form of personal therapy. When i first saw screen shots of it, I said to myself there is no way it could be better than Firefly and it took me so long to take the plunge and start watching it because of that. After watching, I can say that Farscape is definitely better than Firefly, it's got more depth and more world. (Here's where i give a shout out to Scorpius. The guy was genius.)

I hope i didn't give any spoilers away so i will put a spoiler alert in the title just in case cuz i hate when you're reading about something and the story is given away.

As I was writing this i was thinking of the title for this thread. It's "I Love Farscape in 2016"

okay, i'm gonna go sulk a little more that the show is over and how pathetic my life is....

edit: used a different title for this thread

There's also a Farscape video game you can play. And Season 5 exists in comic book form.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I stayed away from Farscape for years, having saw the Peacekeeper Wars before I watched any episodes. So knowing how it ended, I didn't care much to see how they got there.

I was being an idiot.

I watched it around December or January for the first time and when I was done, I've been on a sci-fi kick all year haha. I finally finished the 3rd season of Enterprise even.

Comment

If you like, you can always join the rewatch -- we're just passed season 2's episode Beware of Dog, and generally watch 2 episodes every weekend (due to time being limited for most rewatchers participating).

That way, you don't have to suffer after-Farscape-blues.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks, i remember when i finished watching Firefly i was like, i'm going to read all the comics and follow their video game but never ended up doing it. One thing is for sure, nothing can replace the real life beauty of Aeryn Sun for me.

I may get into the rewatch thread but i don't know if i'm ready for it yet. I just finished the entire series 2 days ago and i think it might break me emotionally or something. I just want to cherish it as a whole a while longer and try to find new things to add to my life. The ending of Farscape has actually shown me just how empty my life is and how i want those relationships and things (especially Aeryn lol j/k) in my life. Depressing in a lot of ways but also inspirational. I'll definitely be reading the posts though. Some awesome reviews in there and you guys are light years ahead.

Upon watching some of the extras and reading up on Farscape, i saw some scenes that i didn't recall and it turned out that i must have accidentally skipped at least 2 episodes in separate seasons so at least i've got that for now ...don't know how that's gonna be considering my emotional state and having yet to rewatch episodes (and out of order) but I can't wait for the music to hit. "Strengthen up there John!" (that's my inner Harvey speaking)

Farscape definitely grows on you. This may not be a common view but apart from the perfection of season 4, season 1 was what really did if for me and it's perhaps next to my favourite season, if not my favourite. I found that each episode and adventure was just wacky (more raw maybe with less boundaries) so you know never knew what they were going to get into.... kinda like space.......and of course, it was when John and Aeryn start to show their attraction for one another which is always the most exciting part of a relationship (for me anyways). 2 and 3 were more emotional in my opinion but 4 was just the perfect mix. (that's my quick review)

I'd just like to add that it does take a little coaxing to get into Farscape. One major tipping point for me to start watching was my colleague who told me it was just like Firefly, and that it came out before Firefly and that Firefly actually borrowed a lot from Farscape and that I should give it a try because i'd probably like it. Yup, glad i listened to him.

Comment

I have to admit sacrilege... I never really cared for season 4 for some reason. Maybe it was the missing time between seasons 3 and 4, but I sort of felt like I'd gotten disconnected from the characters, and was struggling to really understand their motivations. It's like they were totally different people all of a sudden.
            Plus, the political overtones kind of took away from the charm the first three seasons had.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I never took to the intro theme -- actually, if I can skip it, I will.

Comment

I can kinda see what you mean about season 4, it was like "where's Aeryn, why has John been living in solitude for so long and isn't freaking out about trying to find Aeryn, and who is that girl with the orange hair". Then you had the few episodes where they got caught up in some side missions which I understand because they wanted to build up the reunion.

One awesome scene I remember during that time was right at the end when they get word from Pilot of Moya's coordinates and they started the prepping up and that close up and fade on Chiana and she said like "home sweet home" and it was such a powerful moment for me cuz I knew it was the last season and i was like, yup, you guys have gone through so much and I know how you feel.

Then when John reunited with Aeryn, she seemed distant and alien and Scorpius was her ally now and we didn't know the motives (still kind of a mystery that wasn't fully explained or her time in between)..........so ya I can kinda understand how you say that.

But after when they get back to together, all i could remember was each episode had so much at stake and they played it so well, especially with the final ending scenes, and at that point Aeryn was like the star of the whole show (if you ask me), like they knew she was the main draw and so her relationship with John took front and center and she could influence it either way, and they just milked it with shots that showed off her vulnerabilities and sex appeal (pardon me for saying that)....and I was just loving it....and they just kept going into more dangerous and dangerous territory and the stakes kept getting higher and higher, .....I don't know but that's how i remember it. (i have short term memory problems as you can see as i've only finished watching it a few days ago)

And ya, i remember how they changed the opening intro in the 3rd season and it took me a while to get used to it, even to forget that there was even a change. I can't exactly remember if the outro changed too but that's the music I was referring to.....but ya it's a little strange...exotic, alien of course, i pictured it being Luxan or part Chiana's race, wild.

It was also another thing I didn't like at first (speaking of outro) but it grew on me like everything else and i was was cheering at the end of every episode like "yes, this is so awesome...bring on the next one!"......

Comment

Plenty of Scifi left to watch out there after Farscape.............
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    There's also a Farscape video game you can play. And Season 5 exists in comic book form.
                    don't bother with the game, it is EXTREMLY disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Plenty of Scifi left to watch out there after Farscape.............
                      Yup, like Stargate SG1 season 8 episode 12 when Aeryn Sun comes back but i don't know if i'm ready yet, it's the only the thing i have to look forward to and i don't know how i will take it once it comes to end. I will never abandon Farscape, never...and i still have some deleted scenes and unwatched episodes to watch......it's like the 2 Crichtons and how Aeryn couldn't love again........i know how she feels!!...and i totally understand her but in reverse because i wanted to be the John but i totally know how she feels now........i'm not ready yet, i'm not ready.......it's so truuue...it's soooo true!!....omg lol...

Comment

When talking about wanting to be something for a woman, I am not sure the term "John" might be appropriate..............

I'm not saying you should "give up" Farscape, just that there are some great Scifi out there......
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Firefly!

Battlestar Galactica (new - and except for boring season 3)

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            When talking about wanting to be something for a woman, I am not sure the term "John" might be appropriate..............

loll...i get it now...(i think)...i thought you meant that John didn't always treat her good, like especially in season 4, like the i trust you with my life but not my heart, or how he took that drug to forget about her and how he snubbed her so many times in the hallways and probably tons of other stuff that i can't remember right now. Still though he was the only guy to win Aeryn's heart so i'd still like to be him no matter how you look at it!

Going back to season 4, i just wanna say that when John ignored Aeryn in Moya's hallways, those were some of the most powerful end scenes i could remember and you just knew that that the production level and the stakes were at an all time high (for me) because it was done so well, and subtle, and Aeryn was there for him, like actually opening up, and he was ignoring her and she didn't know what to expect anymore and neither did i, and i was like so worried like what's going to happen with them and she looked so vulnerable for the first time ever, and it was the 2000's by that time, and her look got all modern and she was like this total siren on the screen (lol) and it was like Aeryn wasn't peacekeeper anymore but like a human and John was screwing up the whole thing!!...ya John was a jerk to her sometimes ........but ya, i just remember Aeryn alone in the hallways were some of the most dramatic end scenes in season 4 for me, like it hooked me so bad to see the next one, and it was all new stuff cuz she was going after him and she was actually showing how she cared for him openly, and if you ruined that, you'd ruin everything, not to mention all the crazy stuff like going into areas where even the Scarrans wouldn't go (if i remember correctly).

I think because i knew Farscape would only be 4 seasons, it just made all of that seem more dire and final and i was afraid John was going to lose her for good.

I also just want to say that the scene when he rescued her from the Scarrans and brought her back to Moya, i couldn't believe he didn't say i love you at that time when she was lying down. That was the perfect time and i was like omg John, what are you doing man! I wonder if that was a topic many years ago because i just couldn't believe it, it would have meant so much to her! You had to have said it to her because that was the whole point! Alls i remember was he's going say it, he's gonna say it but what we got was the John lolllllll....(i take that back, it was still a beautiful moment between them)...what i meant was, that would have meant so much for her if he said it then, but he didn't....except for everyone one watching....I think i might have said it too... but i don't fully remember...

TLDR: Ya John didn't always treat Aeryn the best, especially in season 4 but the production quality and drama was at an all time high (for me)
                            Last edited by Mr.Sun; 09 September 2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

*waves at Mr Sun*

Yeah, come and join the re-watch thread! We're up to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' so there's plenty more to go! And there's always something that the other reviewers have noticed that I've missed, where I go, "oh yeah, right!".

I've rediscovered Farscape this year too. I'd watch some as a kid, but obviously not appreciated certain... aspects ... *coughbenbrowderinleathercough*.

We are a little late to the party though, so the fandom doesn't seem to be particularly active.. there's not a lot of new discussion. artwork, videos, stories etc.

Although, ooo... having said that ... let me push my video at you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwAl6L39u8. It's intended as a three minute Farscape fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X