Couple SGU questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple SGU questions

Comet TV just aired the last SGU and are repeating from the beginning so I'm trying to re-watch. Also sorry in advance for the spelling.

When the people were on the Inarus planet and being attacked could they have gated back to earth?

I know Rush was trying to solve the 9th Chevaron (I warned you about the spelling) puzzle so was the 9h Chevaron Destiney?

Last night I re-watched Air where they go to the planet and get what they need to renew the scrubbers and now can breath. Right at the end the song comes on and then you see the rear of Destiney flying away and something flies off of it. Shuttle with the Senator in it, something to do with the blue aliens that come in later episodes, don't think it has anything to do with the later drones?

Last question and this happens in multiple episodes later on. Rush is alone in Destiney and sees a women and they talk. I remember he saying he needs rest and he is making mistakes. She appears in more than one episode and sometimes the next thing you know she turns into Dr. Franklin. Who is this women ... his wife who died? I am not talking about his smart friend that is paralyzed and comes back via the stones to help on the FTL drives and then again later in episodes. Thanks!!

In the last post last paragraph one of the sentences should read:

I remember hersaying he needs rest and he is making mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerdog View Post
      Comet TV just aired the last SGU and are repeating from the beginning so I'm trying to re-watch. Also sorry in advance for the spelling.

When the people were on the Inarus planet and being attacked could they have gated back to earth?
      That was deliberately left open to interpretation, Rush's explanation to O'Neill and Young could be correct could be made up.

I know Rush was trying to solve the 9th Chevaron (I warned you about the spelling) puzzle so was the 9h Chevaron Destiney?
      The 9th chevron was Destiny, but that was not known, nor was it said on the Atlantis database, where the hint to the 9th chevron was hidden.

Last night I re-watched Air where they go to the planet and get what they need to renew the scrubbers and now can breath. Right at the end the song comes on and then you see the rear of Destiney flying away and something flies off of it. Shuttle with the Senator in it, something to do with the blue aliens that come in later episodes, don't think it has anything to do with the later drones?
      It's a Nakai (blue aliens) ship.

Last question and this happens in multiple episodes later on. Rush is alone in Destiney and sees a women and they talk. I remember he saying he needs rest and he is making mistakes. She appears in more than one episode and sometimes the next thing you know she turns into Dr. Franklin. Who is this women ... his wife who died? I am not talking about his smart friend that is paralyzed and comes back via the stones to help on the FTL drives and then again later in episodes. Thanks!!
      That was Destiny in the form of Rush's wife Gloria.
      sigpic

Comment

With hindsight:

Had Rush not dialed destiny, the Lucian Alliance would've been in control of the ship.

While Rush may have dialed another planet to escape to, there was nowhere truly safe. The stargate could easily have overloaded and killed all survivors on both ends. By dialling destiny he was also providing an energy sink that could've bought a few minutes of time.

Comment

I've watched all of SGU I think and have seen the Lucian Alliance in episodes. Also Comet TV had SG-1 on @ noon and have watched a bit of that and seen them there. Darn Comet no longer has SG-1 at that time starting yesterday.
          My question is who are the Lucian Alliance? Are they human that originated from earth? They seem to be a bunch of outcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxerdog View Post
            I've watched all of SGU I think and have seen the Lucian Alliance in episodes. Also Comet TV had SG-1 on @ noon and have watched a bit of that and seen them there. Darn Comet no longer has SG-1 at that time starting yesterday.
            My question is who are the Lucian Alliance? Are they human that originated from earth? They seem to be a bunch of outcast.
            That was never answered. However, they simply seem to be humans that overthrew local goa'uld control and took their technology. In Sg1 they seemed to be a loose association and not a true force, whereas in SGU they had seriously professionalized. I'd wager the latter is due to earth-like planets mixing in, bringing professional armies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              With hindsight:

Had Rush not dialed destiny, the Lucian Alliance would've been in control of the ship.

While Rush may have dialed another planet to escape to, there was nowhere truly safe. The stargate could easily have overloaded and killed all survivors on both ends. By dialling destiny he was also providing an energy sink that could've bought a few minutes of time.
              I also don't think Rush lied when he gave that explanation to O'Neill and Young, but I wanted to give an explanation that is as neutral as possible. However, I think the writers left that open, don't they?
              Last edited by Artemis-Neith; 31 August 2016, 12:38 AM. Reason: deleting a wrong word
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                I also don't think Rush lied when he gave that explanation to O'Neill and Young, but I didn't want to give an explanation that is as neutral as possible. However, I think the writers left that open, don't they?
                It's one of those things you can nitpick about for 10 years and never reach a proper conclusion.

Dialing earth: Borderline insanity, as it endangers 7 billion people.
                Dialing anywhere: Potentially hostile circumstances, may strand them on a planet that can't dial out (like that never happened before!). Even if the receiving end is safe, the energy buildup on Icarus may translate through the gate and at the very least murder all survivors and at the worst may blow up two planets.

Compared to that, dialing destiny isn't quite so insane. The risk of overloading is mitigated by requiring a lot of energy, the system for which they just figured out thanks to Eli. It also requires massive amounts of energy so at least locally the planet is more stable and the connection acts as an energy sink. The risks (hostile environment, backlash through the gate) were present anyway. Considering how rare the Icarus planets were, it may very well have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Considering the later episodes, the Lucian Alliance would've possessed the ship.

So was Rush justified? At least partially. Was he doing it for the right reasons? Probably not. Were there better options? possible but not certain. Was he in a position to make elaborate arguments and weigh his decisions? no.

Sometimes life gives you bad cards and you can't win.

Comment

I decided (for myself) to go with "Rush did the right thing for the wrong reasons".

Your arguments are going more to the direction that he did the right thing, though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Your arguments are going more to the direction that he did the right thing, though.
                    Maybe. Maybe not. It's possible that rather than a desperation fight for the second Icarus base, without people to save they'd be more cautious and prevent it's blowup. Thus, they get a proper second attempt.

It depends on what the evacuation plan was (Is there a standard protocol "evacuation" world?). It depends on how Earth would've reacted differently. Lean slightly one way and it was a horrible decision. Lean slightly the other way and it was the best outcome.

Comment

The way it was handled looks like there wasn't a real "evacuation plan." If there was one and Rush sabotaged it by dialing the 9th chevron address, Young for sure would have rubbed it into his face, and we'd learn about it.

I also guess, if the SGC had a better understanding of the technology, well knowing what could happen, they'd be more cautious. And as the setting looked in the beginning, the Icarus base was a minor outpost, with little attention from earth. A place for a bunch of less important scientists and soldiers to do some minor scientific work, and a place to where they transferred one of their colonels with a severe PTSD problem to give him some rest.

I guess the attack hit them without any kind of preparation, therefore, no protocol, no precautions, no further plans, because: "what could go wrong?"
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess the attack hit them without any kind of preparation, therefore, no protocol, no precautions, no further plans, because: "what could go wrong?"
                        I do wonder one thing. The planet was really close (21 lightyears) to earth. Do you think that it was a poorly defended outpost because Homeworld Command didn't think the Lucian alliance would be bold enough to attack an outpost so close to earth?

Comment

This is of course nothing but mere speculation, but the way the whole attack happened, gave me the impression the planet was so unimportant that nobody lost a thought it could happen.

Other question: would you give the command of an somehow important (because relatively close to earth and harbor a mostly scientific earth base) to a soldier who is suffering from PTSD and a relatively small company of other soldiers?

Wouldn't you set up an often trained and therefore working emergency plan to make sure the crew san be evacuated and rescued safely and in time?

I mean, if there was a chance for such an attack, SGC would be better prepared, wouldn't they?
                          sigpic

Comment

I mean, if there was a chance for such an attack, SGC would be better prepared, wouldn't they?
                            I agree

Comment

Working...
                            X