Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 SGA and SGU books.

Hello all!

Long time lurker here and big fan of the franchise.

Given that I am really into the new Season 6 SGA Comic it got me thinking about other media and what I potentially could be missing out on. Thats when I learnt about the books; but they seem to be all over the place.

Is there somewhere a definitive list of the books and their reading order? Can someone recommend where to start?

Also what are the audio books like?

The audio plays produced by Big Finish Productions are no longer available for sale; their licence expired several years ago. From what I can gather they were very difficult to get recorded, and very poor sellers, so BF didn't bother to try to renew the licence. The only place you can find them now is via third-party resellers--eBay, the criminally overpriced Amazon vendor partners, those sorts.

As to the books...I will say simply good luck. There are a lot of them, and they are definitely not known for their attention to continuity.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Did any of the original actors reprise their roles in the audio plays?
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        Did any of the original actors reprise their roles in the audio plays?
        Big Finish did 18 of them in total, presented as though one of the characters was telling the whole story. All 18 of them featured at least one of the main cast.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Season 1 and 2 of Big Finish were generally one main cast member telling a story with a secondary actor supporting. Season 3 was more of a full cast audio drama, split into 2 3 part stories. You should be able to pick up Season 1 and 2 easily enough second hand. Season 3 is criminally priced. It's a shame they didn't sell well - then again, I was guilty of not picking up the second part of Season 3 but I really enjoyed them.

The books aren't as bad as DigiFluid insinuated earlier. They have the odd hick-up but they're generally great reads. There's a couple of threads in the respective Merch boards that should be able to provide you with more information.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Ok, so avoid the audio books and try to get my hands on the novels.

Any particular novels I should start with or is it just find what you can and read from there?

Comment

The audio books were all one offs anyway. Generally good, nothing massively amazing nor nothing massively disappointing. Worth picking up around a 10er apiece if you can.

The books are all largely standalone too. A few 2 parters and the Atlantis - Legacy series is an alternate Season 6 that you really want to read in order but otherwise, just check out the synopsis and see which ones tickle you. I'm sure people will be able to provide some specific opinions of those particular books too.

The only one I strongly recommend skipping is Power of the Throne. Awful, awful book.
              sigpic

Comment

Did any of the novels finish or clarify a missed/forgotten thing from the show? Like say one went into what happened to Daniels grandfather from crystal skull..
                or one went into whether the clava thesaurus ignatus was real or not??

Comment

They all tend to pick up on points between episodes. Usually focus more on the character aspects. City of the Gods did serve as sequel to Crystal Skull though. Sacrifice Moon was the novel of the first mission you never saw on the show. Matter of Honor/Cost of Honor was about SG-13 (I think?) who got stuck on the blackhole planet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Did any of the novels finish or clarify a missed/forgotten thing from the show? Like say one went into what happened to Daniels grandfather from crystal skull..
                    or one went into whether the clava thesaurus ignatus was real or not??
                    Could also try the other sort of fanfic -- they tend to fill in blanks a lot.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                    X