Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't the Atlantis Expedition bring with them any Goa'uld tech or weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the Atlantis Expedition bring with them any Goa'uld tech or weapons?

I am currently watching SGA rising episode and wondered why they didn't have any Zat guns of Jaffa Staff weapons? I know that the Zat guns were used as a non-lethal option, but it seems that the Atlantis Expedition did not bring any non-lethal weapons like the Zat guns. Of course later they get their hands on Wraith weapons, which apparently are non-lethal, which make sense since they would want to kill their food supply (humans), in stun them. However, I would think having Zat guns and staff weapons would be a useful option. After all, they were not 100% sure their standard military weapons would work on everything they might encounter in a new galaxy. A lesson they should of learned from Anubis' Kull warriors. Lastly, I wonder how much Ancient tech found in Atlantis, for example the lifesign detector, has bee reversed engineered and become common equipment used by SGC teams back in the Milk Way Galaxy. Considering they still had a lot of exploring to do, I would assume the SGC is still running even after Atlantis returns to the Pegasus galaxy. I haven't read any of the novels, so someone can shed some light as tho what has happened since the end of Atlantis besides the events of the Stargate universe series.

Because this was originally not planned as a SG1 redux show, but a stand-alone spin-off show. And thus they have their set of weapons to discover, Ancient or Wraith, or Asuran.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well, most SG teams don't use staff weapons anyway. And Zat weapons would have been redundant in Pegasus. Plus didn't the writers mention they didn't like how they wrote themselves into a corner with how Zat guns work? I noticed in later seasons nobody, even the bad guys, used the second and third shot ability of the Zat'nickitels.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

They did have good old fashion tasers. As to why no Zats, I would guess there was a supply issue. Yes, they have a bunch in the SGC armory, but did they have a surplus beyond what they need to keep SG teams supplied with them? That I do not know. However, if that's the case perhaps they were more concerned with making sure there were always Zats on hand for SG teams than splitting them up and sharing some with the expedition. Then the expedition started getting their hands on Wraith stunners and it became a non-issue.

Staff weapons, meanwhile, are largely considered to be inferior to automatic Earth weapons, having been designed as instruments of fear and intimidation rather than war. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped collecting them once they had enough to try to reverse engineer the technology so that they could one day create better energy weapons of their own.

What I found a bit disappointing was that they never transported a Goa'uld cargo ship or two over. In the later seasons of Sg-1 they collected about four of them if I'm remembering correctly (I had a count going at the time). They're easy to transport on an F-304 and a small cloakable ship with hyperspace capabilities (in addition to Mckay's experimental jumper or in place of depending on the time period) would've been of use to expedition when an F-304 wasn't available.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 17 March 2024, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          What I found a bit disappointing was that they never transported a Goa'uld cargo ship or two over. In the later seasons of Sg-1 they collected about four of them if I'm remembering correctly (I had a count going at the time). They're easy to transport on an F-304 and a small cloakable ship with hyperspace capabilities (in addition to Mckay's experimental jumper or in place of depending on the time period) would've been of use to expedition when an F-304 wasn't available.
          Atlantis was its own show (at first anyway), not an SG1 redux.
          They have their own technology to tinker with.

Comment

They did have good old fashion tasers. As to why no Zats, I would guess there was a supply issue.
            This. Zats are alien-supplied and i don't think our allies are terribly happy about shipping masses of alien weaponry to a planet that doesn't even reveal the stargate.

Furthermore, if a Zat for whatever reason breaks down, it's likely that few if anyone on the Expedition can fix them whereas guns are technologies we're familiar with.

Lastly, considering we thought we may make first contact, it may have been better to not create unintended wrong impressions by using essentially stolen alien technology.

Comment

What's the wrong impression to make? Monoculturalism vs. multiculturalism? Isn't that like saying Ronon's blaster makes the Atlantis Expedition "look bad" ? It doesn't...

Comment

Originally posted by FlipORican View Post
                I am currently watching SGA rising episode and wondered why they didn't have any Zat guns of Jaffa Staff weapons? I know that the Zat guns were used as a non-lethal option, but it seems that the Atlantis Expedition did not bring any non-lethal weapons like the Zat guns. Of course later they get their hands on Wraith weapons, which apparently are non-lethal, which make sense since they would want to kill their food supply (humans), in stun them. However, I would think having Zat guns and staff weapons would be a useful option. After all, they were not 100% sure their standard military weapons would work on everything they might encounter in a new galaxy. A lesson they should of learned from Anubis' Kull warriors. Lastly, I wonder how much Ancient tech found in Atlantis, for example the lifesign detector, has bee reversed engineered and become common equipment used by SGC teams back in the Milk Way Galaxy. Considering they still had a lot of exploring to do, I would assume the SGC is still running even after Atlantis returns to the Pegasus galaxy. I haven't read any of the novels, so someone can shed some light as tho what has happened since the end of Atlantis besides the events of the Stargate universe series.
                Writing error (yes: Error because they kept the shows closely connected, hell major characters show up in both and some minors become majors (McKay!))

It really makes no sense!

Especially since fully charged staff-weapons can last for ages, talking about centuries here! (no running out of ammo - at least not quickly!) Same for Zats!

We also know that Zats work on Wraith (!) - Teal'c uses one when defending the SGC against them!

Then again:

A Goa'uld shield or a Kul-Warrior armor would also work well in fighting Wraith...but the writers didn't want that (despite it being obvious to bring a few of either)

Same for figuring out that ancient shield device...

Hell, I've recently read 2 fanfictions were the writers had the SGC use staff-weapons to make staff-rifles (better for people who haven't had Jaffa-Training), one even had them strap to cut down staffs above each other to double the fire-power or firing-rate (via a selector: Fire both at he same time or after one another!)

So, yeah:

Writer oversight (also they probably wanted the shows visually distinct from each other!)

Note: McKay and Zelenka can probably fix Goa'uld tech (compared to ancient tech that's not overly complex!)

greetings LAX
                ps: I agree on smaller Goa'uld ships (you could probably arm a cargo ship if you want to, I mean they showed a heavily modified one in season 9 (I think it was season 9...it was one of the Vala-Episodes!), so you'd have a pretty capable platform to run covert missions from! Hell, give it a shield and it can probably engage a Wraith cruiser (go in close, de-cloak, fire and then run like hell!))...then again: Even SG-1 didn't have a ship as often as they really needed one
                Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 21 December 2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Atlantis was its own show (at first anyway), not an SG1 redux.
                  They have their own technology to tinker with.
                  Yes, but that's the behind the scenes explanation. The point of this thread was if it made sense within the context of the show's story.

Comment

Yes, but that's the behind the scenes explanation. The point of this thread was if it made sense within the context of the show's story.
                    It wouldn't -- why take technology which, if you look at it from an historical point, is less advanced than the one you're going to?

As "advanced" as Goa'uld technology is, Ancient technology is more advanced and thus preferable, even if they would have to learn how to use it first.

Besides, they sorta had Goa'uld technology with them anyway -- namely the naquadah which the Goa'uld use as powersource.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      It wouldn't -- why take technology which, if you look at it from an historical point, is less advanced than the one you're going to?

As "advanced" as Goa'uld technology is, Ancient technology is more advanced and thus preferable, even if they would have to learn how to use it first.
                      Huh? First of all, you said it wouldn't [make sense within the story's context] and then proceeded to provide a defense of how it makes sense within the context of the story. Second of all, they took a lot of technology with them that was less advanced than Ancient technology. The reason obviously being that they didn't know what they would find and needed to be well supplied and prepared. The question was why they weren't even better supplied with Goa'uld technology. I don't see how you think this is an answer to why they took stun guns with them but not ZATs, for example. Mind you, I have my own explanation for that as outlined in my previous post, and perhaps that is wrong, but there's some logic behind it. I don't get your reasoning at all.

Besides, they sorta had Goa'uld technology with them anyway -- namely the naquadah which the Goa'uld use as powersource.
                      Technically, the Goa'uld use naquadah in their power sources. The actual technology of their powers sources and Earth's naquadah generators (which were developed by non-Earth humans) are different. If we went to another planet and found an alien species who were independently using coal to power their cities we wouldn't say they were using human technology, "sort of" or otherwise.

Comment

Initially, it would have made sense to take some zats, eventually they were bound to run out of bullets...kinda surprised they didn't run out of bullets. The best I could figure out is that there was no telling how ancient tech would react to advanced alien technology versus primitive projectile weapons.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

I always figured they had a set amount of Zats and didn't have enough to give them. I wish this was addressed in the show though. Or they could have had them find different weapons on Altanis.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X