Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID4 #2 does poorly.. will that impact the SG reboot films?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID4 #2 does poorly.. will that impact the SG reboot films?

So, many of us predicted that whether Devlin and co would get the green light for their reboot trilogy for the Stargate films, would be based on how well ID4 Resurgence did..

Well, it bombed at the box office it seems... So does that mean the green light is off the table for SG??

What does ID Resurgence have to do with SG? And Hi, I am new here.

Comment

It had a budget of $165 million and has made $362.6 million so far.. Hardly "bombed" The Marvel movies have ruined what it means to have a successful movie. They don't all have to break $1 billion to be a success.

And since the Stargate movie has been announced, and no one has declared the project dead and abandoned after the "failure" of Independence Day only making slightly more than double its budget so far.. It should go ahead as planned. Whether it gets sequels or not depends entirely on how the first Stargate movie does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

It had a budget of $165 million and has made $362.6 million so far.. Hardly "bombed" The Marvel movies have ruined what it means to have a successful movie. They don't all have to break $1 billion to be a success.

And since the Stargate movie has been announced, and no one has declared the project dead and abandoned after the "failure" of Independence Day only making slightly more than double its budget so far.. It should go ahead as planned. Whether it gets sequels or not depends entirely on how the first Stargate movie does.
        The rule-of-thumb I always heard is that it has to make 3x it's budget to be considered a success. It's about $130m short of that right now.

The question is whether or not MGM will trust RE and DD with $100m+ for another sci-fi blockbuster given how this one performed.

I'd rather they trust Robert Cooper and Brad Wright with about $40m to make a new season of SGU
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by Starbie View Post
          What does ID Resurgence have to do with SG? And Hi, I am new here.
          They are both being made by the same directors/producers. So there was talk that since ID4 #2 was done first, ITS success or failure might seriously impact whether the executives would greenlight the new SG films.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            They are both being made by the same directors/producers. So there was talk that since ID4 #2 was done first, ITS success or failure might seriously impact whether the executives would greenlight the new SG films.
            I don't think there's a hard 1:1 case between ID2 and SG2, but yea a serious negative impact of ID2 would likely have stopped SG2.

Comment

i hope mgm deletes the reboot idea and gives the franchise future back to the tv franchise. #hopesbigtime
              sally

sigpic

Comment

I hear ID4 is best to be avoided at all costs. However, I doubt they'll call it a failure.

Depending on what D&E envision for the Stargate reboot, I'd say MGM won't have much problem giving them a nice budget. It is one of their star franchises after all.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't think ID4 would effect a StarGate film, however, getting JJ Abrams to direct or Joss Whedon would be number one on my list. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mezzum View Post
                    I don't think ID4 would effect a StarGate film, however, getting JJ Abrams to direct or Joss Whedon would be number one on my list. Thoughts?
                    No on JJ. Yes on Josh.
                    But neither would be interested.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I hear ID4 is best to be avoided at all costs.
                      It was a fun movie. At least, i had fun watching it. It's basically Independance day: Independencedayer.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i hope mgm deletes the reboot idea and gives the franchise future back to the tv franchise. #hopesbigtime
                        So do i... I would MUCH rather SG1/SGA/SGU get a proper finish, before they even think of rebooting it anyhow.. However these days, its just that. Wishful thinking, since the sets all got sold off.

Comment

So do i... I would MUCH rather SG1/SGA/SGU get a proper finish, before they even think of rebooting it anyhow.. However these days, its just that. Wishful thinking, since the sets all got sold off.
                          Considering many other shows i've seen since, we should be happy we got this far at all

Comment

Looking it up on line, they are all ready plotting out the ID4 #3 sequel.. where they go INTO space to take the war to these aliens..

Comment

I watched ID: Resurgence. It was a film with a piece of **** for story with a lot of eye candy here and there. They couldn't even get Will Smith to be in it. So that has to mean something, right? Apart from him feeling superior to every other star and all the other stuff he does in public, his choice of not participating was the right call.

In the end RE&DD showed yet again that they are capable to give a fairly mediocre film an even more mediocre sequel. I think they have even lost the right to call their film anything else than ID4equel. If another ID sequel comes out they should just put a number after the sequel like sequel 2,3, 4...etc.

I still worry though, because nowadays it doesn't matter for films how big they tank in the box office. If the studio decides it there, will be sequels. Like the Transformers. All of those movies were a piece of **** with inconsistent story telling and ****ty acting trying to hide behind the eyecandy galore. I expect nothing more from these two f***ers.

I'll no more consider canon the new SG films than I did SW 7. To me the expanded universe is CANON and Disney Wars can go f@#*k itself.
                              sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                              X