Lost In Space (Netflix 2018) News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Dunno about Black Mirror, but The Expanse is a SyFy network show, they may be running prior seasons on Netflix. I would describe it as human greed and corruption carried along as mankind expands to colonize the solar system. Not exactly my cup of tea.

But would it be a good show to start?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      For anyone else that watches Netflix what is Black Mirror and The Expanse like?
      Black Mirror is an anthology series (like the Twilight Zone) that kind of shows weird/messed up versions of the future (not necessarily the far of future though) and how technology can be used. I haven't watched all of it, but I really like it.

The Expanse is based on a book series, it's basically like Annoyed said, but I think it's really well done and I love it. It's pretty much my favorite show on right now (though Westworld is coming back, so that will probably end up being my favorite again once I get back to watching that lol).
      sigpic

Comment

Hey fun speculation time.

They were watching a promotional video for the Alpha Centauri colony which showed a row of Jupiter ships all parked near each other like some kind of flying RVs which is essentially what they are. Anyway that looked so utopian and nice but I can't shake the feeling it's a lot darker then what they show.

Even Judy comments on this in the first episode while they are all playing cards.

There's just something very elitist about the colony ahem. For one thing people like Don are not allowed to land there and live but it's fine to use them to haul your stuff from Earth and anyway he has a nice side job bringing them all their vices with his smuggling. But it seems he won't be allowed to live there and that was based on how disgruntled he was with them and dialog.

So I get the feeling it's all really stinky what they are doing and for all we know there isn't a colony at all but something darker.

Comment

Yes, the colony does seem rather elitist... Actually reminded me of Land of the Dead... (Well, except that we've not really seen anything about it...)

I somehow don't expect to see the colony however any time soon - assuming we get any more episodes - I would expect they would stay away from the colony (being the presumed end game) for a few seasons, and once the Robinsons do arrive, it would then be the question of whether it's where they really want to be at all...
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
            Yes, the colony does seem rather elitist... Actually reminded me of Land of the Dead... (Well, except that we've not really seen anything about it...)

I somehow don't expect to see the colony however any time soon - assuming we get any more episodes - I would expect they would stay away from the colony (being the presumed end game) for a few seasons, and once the Robinsons do arrive, it would then be the question of whether it's where they really want to be at all...
            Well, there was a screening process people had to go through to be on the Resolute and assigned to a Jupiter. If you recall, Maureen had to make a deal with someone because Will failed the tests. So they weren't just taking all comers.

From a viewer perspective, I rather like the idea. I'm tired of the recent trend of Sci Fi shows that focus on the dark underbelly of a broken society. I'd rather see the "best and the brightest" dealing with exploration and other challenges of space travel.

Comment

Well, I'm up to episode 5. Taking things slowly...then I'll do a rewatch. I agree with the comments that the promo video showing the colony seems a bit utopian, but I'm betting this is more of a dystopian story. We shall see how things go!
              sigpic

Comment

Well, there was a screening process people had to go through to be on the Resolute and assigned to a Jupiter. If you recall, Maureen had to make a deal with someone because Will failed the tests. So they weren't just taking all comers.

From a viewer perspective, I rather like the idea. I'm tired of the recent trend of Sci Fi shows that focus on the dark underbelly of a broken society. I'd rather see the "best and the brightest" dealing with exploration and other challenges of space travel.

But is it?

What about those old people on the other Jupiter? Surely yeah best and brightest, but not the fittest are they? Are we really sure this colony isn't just for "the great and the good?"

Translation for the rich.

Comment

It's ok...

They'll all get wiped out when someone uses a dirty telephone.
                  back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                  "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                  "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                  and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    But is it?

What about those old people on the other Jupiter? Surely yeah best and brightest, but not the fittest are they? Are we really sure this colony isn't just for "the great and the good?"

Translation for the rich.
                    It probably is "just for the rich & connected", that's the way most things are in the real world, too,.

Comment

It probably is "just for the rich & connected", that's the way most things are in the real world, too,.

I wish that wasn't the way....

Comment

Speaking of people selected. Anyone recognize the male Dr. Smith in episode 1? He was Bill Mumy who played Will Robinson in the original LIS. Too bad he wasn't the one to play Dr. Smith. I sortta miss Dr. Smith's barbs with the Robot.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Speaking of people selected. Anyone recognize the male Dr. Smith in episode 1? He was Bill Mumy who played Will Robinson in the original LIS. Too bad he wasn't the one to play Dr. Smith. I sortta miss Dr. Smith's barbs with the Robot.
                          Pretty damned hard to trade barbs if they can't understand each other. Maybe (hopefully) it will change as time goes on, but they can't really communicate with it at this point.

Comment

Episode 6 nearly brought me to tears. I know how conflicted Will must have felt but you could see the robot was scared and yet Will made him suicide.

Comment

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is the day supposedly Netflix is going to make an announcement regarding renewal or not. For the money spent on this show, and the mammoth amount of money spend worldwide on advertising you think they would.

Has anyone seen outdoor or indoor advertising for the show? Some huge building size posters around some US cities.

Comment

I hear Monday is when we find out if it's renewed or not.

Meanwhile a random thought or two about the timing of events.

This show is supposed to take place in 2048 or 49 as the producers said it was set 30 years in the future.

But that also brings up a huge headscratcher (for me anyway) with the timing of all this. If it's 2048 the Resolute has so far made 23 trips to Alpha Centauri with Jupiter ships onboard and no mishaps, that we know of. Now if that's the case these trips happened before the show started, and the big point for me is how long did it take to build the mothership and all the Jupiter ships if so many trips had been done?

When did they start building? To me I'm thinking 2025 or even 2030 to be a little conservative so there's a huge lot of backstory I think behind events in the series. I hope it all gets fleshed out.

Comment

Working...
                                X