Lost In Space (Netflix 2018) News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost In Space (Netflix 2018) News/Discussion/Speculation

Netflix has announce an Lost In Space Remake.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/lost-in-...ix-1201780931/

I hear Netflix has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Lost in SpaNetflix Logoce, a remake of sci-fi master Irwin Allen’s 1965 cult TV classic, from Legendary TV. The streaming service landed the project for development in November in a competitive situation, with multiple bidders. It is eyed for a 2018 premiere.

Neil Marshall Marc Helwig The new Lost in Space takes its cues from the original series, centering on the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. It was written by feature scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold), who executive produce with Zack Estrin (The River), who has come aboard as showrunner, Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni of Synthesis Entertainment, as well as Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig of Legendary TV-based Applebox. Marshall will serve as producing director and direct several episodes of the series.

“The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience. The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world,” said Cindy Holland, VP Original Content at Netflix.

Lost in Space has been a longtime passion project for Burns, founder and president of unscripted production company Prometheus (Kendra, The Curse of Oak Island). In 1999, Burns, along with Jashni, formed Synthesis Entertainment, aimed at bringing new life to Allen’s creations with remakes and sequel projects. The company first tried reviving Lost in Space at NBC as a telefilm, but that project went away following the death of original co-star Jonathan Harris. During the 2003-04 season, a reboot of the series landed at the WB in a bidding war, where it went to pilot written by Doug Petrie and directed by John Woo but was not picked up to series. Meanwhile, a feature adaptation was released in 1998, written by Akiva Goldsman and directed by Stephen Hopkins. Burns had been working closely with Irwin’s widow, Sheila Matthews Allen, and since her death in 2013, he has been solely spearheading Synthesis’ efforts.

When Jashni was president and chief creative officer at Legendary, he and Burns re teamed in their efforts to launch a Lost in Space series, first when Legendary TV was pod at Warner Bros TV and later when the company launched as independent. The project gained momentum in 2014 when Sazama and Sharpless were attached as writers, with Marshall and Helwig coming on board as part of their first-look deal with Legendary TV. The four worked on the pitch that was taken out, landing at Netflix in November. (Jashni left Legendary in February and will now exec produce through Synthesis.)

At Netflix, Lost in Space is believed to be part of a push in the arena of big scale, four-quadrant family entertainment led by Brian Wright.

lost-in-space The 1965 series, set three decades into the future (1997), revolved around an attempt by the U.S. to colonize deep space by sending a single family, the Robinsons, on a 5 1/2-year journey to another planet. But an enemy agent, Dr. Zachary Smith, sabotages the mission, causing the ship to veer off course and become lost in space. Above, watch the show’s opening credits to the theme music by John Williams, who would go on to score the biggest space opera of all time, the Star Wars movie franchise.

legendary-pictures-logoThe original series aired on CBS for three seasons and ended its run after 83 episodes over a combination of softening ratings and rising costs. It was produced by 20th Century Fox, which continues to syndicate the existing episodes but does not hold rights or have any underlying ownership in the franchise.

Looking forward to seeing how they handle this. Especially as the traditional family unit doesn't have the resonance it did back in the 60. I really do hope they base it on the first season of the show, where it was more serious attempt at scifi, than the later seasons where it turn into a bit of a comedy, carrot aliens! Netflix tend to provide plenty of cash for their programs, so I'm expecting truly alien planets here.
    Last edited by knowles2; 23 November 2016, 11:34 AM.

I've always liked Lost in Space, ever since watching it as a kid. I hope they do this well.

I hope they keep the design of the the original Jupiter 2, rather than the cheesy launch sequence in the 98? movie with the dropaway shell that looked like the J2, but contained a much different looking ship inside.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      Looking forward to seeing how they handle this. Especially as the traditional family unit doesn't have the resonance it did back in the 60. I really do hope they base it on the first season of the show, where it was more serious attempt scifi, than the later seasons where it turn into a bit of a comedy, carrot aliens! Netflix ten to provide plenty of cash for their programs, so I'm expecting truly alien planets here.
      That is a valid point. With the "traditional family unit" having been completely altered in society today, will they make it 2 male parental units? 2 Female parental units?

Comment

The characters have been cast,

Molly Parker - Maureen Robinson
        Toby Stephens - John Robinson

Taylor Russell, Max Jenkins will be playing the kids.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainmen..._buzz_106.html

Comment

I will wait to see a preview before i pass judgement.

Comment

Like you Knowles2, I had high hopes for the series and enjoyed the first dozen or so episodes. But it then became increasingly a space traveller/monster of the week and usually done with tongue very much locked in cheek and much soap. I understood the use of Dr Smith and the Robot as the main characters because the story lines became so fundamentally repetitive. Quite frankly, other than Smith, I thought by the end, the robot had the better lines and personality than the rest of the cast. Bill Mumy was fine for a while and then became just a precocious little brat. Angela Cartwright's Penny was cute, but though she was supposed to have a high IQ they played her dumb. The two young adults drove me mad trying to work out why they were there, and I got frustrated no romance ever seemed to bring them together...like yeh that was realistic. Mum was someone out of Father Knows Best and 'Zorro' Guy Williams seemed tamed from his Don Diego days.

It had a lot going for it in the first number of episodes, but like Terra Nova, it had great opportunity with new world wonders, and stuck with the soapie issues. Hope the new one learns from the first number of episodes of the past series and not the last two seasons.

Comment

Dr Smith will be played by....Parker Posey?

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-...n-space-series
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just saw the news myself, never heard of the actress, so we shall see how she does. I hope they fact she mostly played comedy parts isn't a hint at the direction they are taking with this show.

Personally I would have cast Robert Picardo in the role.

Comment

mina-sundwall to play Penny,

http://deadline.com/2016/12/lost-in-...ke-1201871961/

Ignacio Serricchio To Play Don West

http://deadline.com/2016/12/lost-in-...st-1201869801/

The production on this seem to be going much smoother than Star Trek Discovery.

Comment

Alot will have to happen with this reboot to impress me. I was disappointed when I heard of a female Dr. Smith. I don't care what anyone says but for me it was Smith who made the show for me. Some think he should've been left out of the show.

Comment

I agree. A Male sniveling dr smith is part of whta MADE Lost in space so fun to watch..
                      BUT i eventually liked the switch of Starbuck in BSG to a female vs male.. SO maybe we could learn to love this switch.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat5986 View Post
                        Alot will have to happen with this reboot to impress me. I was disappointed when I heard of a female Dr. Smith. I don't care what anyone says but for me it was Smith who made the show for me. Some think he should've been left out of the show.
                        I have no problems with a female villain. Equal rights and all.

I just hope she isn't the driving force of the show as Harris's version was.

Comment

OMG! My inner-geek is excited! I remember watch the original series as re-runs when I'd come home from school when I was a kid. I am so looking forward to this series being released on Netflix!!

sigpic

Comment

From IMDB:
                            The year is 2046. A Mother Ship containing a number of Jupiter Class Colony Ships are on their way to colonize a distant planet when they are attacked and, after passing through a rip in space-time, some of the Jupiter Ships crash-down on an unknown alien world. The Robinson Family on the Jupiter 2 must struggle to survive while reuniting with the other Jupiter colony ships, face-off with human and non-human adversaries as well as other situations they encounter in their new environment while traversing the alien terrain in their Chariot vehicles. Written by Zakkaari Rokkanno
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              OMG! My inner-geek is excited! I remember watch the original series as re-runs when I'd come home from school when I was a kid. I am so looking forward to this series being released on Netflix!!

I remember watching the original back in the 60's, and it was one of my favorites. Bought the BD box set a few years back.

Comment

Working...
                              X