Create your own SG team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create your own SG team

I guess this is more of a curiosity thing. When I read ideas for fan-made stargate spin offs they come up with enemies and settings but they always overlook one of the things that made SG1 and SGA great: the characters.

So, let's say you were part of the writing crew for a new stargate spin off: who is the new team? Give a name, their position on the team, a character description, maybe even a backstory.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

I wrote the story with the original SG1 team but I added a few new characters like Daniel's girlfriend-lover-financee'. She's loosely based on me, she looks like me and she acts a lot like me just she is slightly taller in the story and her job background is different. She gets chosen to join the team not just because of her love and support of SG1 but she has Ancient blood in her like Jack so she's able to interpret languages that Daniel is not! I had her adopted (which I am not) and because of not knowing her parents she was adopted by a couple when she was very young and later became a nerd/geek like Daniel and Daniel met her at at library. He discovers her gift of languages and persuaded the team to add her on, she's not a Go'auld or anything like that but the Go'auld are fascinated by her and want her for themselves.
    sigpic
    Fate makes our relatives; choice makes our friends-quote I found in my dad's senior year of high school under his name

"Give me a pen and I'll write the words"
    http://avp60685.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      I guess this is more of a curiosity thing. When I read ideas for fan-made stargate spin offs they come up with enemies and settings but they always overlook one of the things that made SG1 and SGA great: the characters.

So, let's say you were part of the writing crew for a new stargate spin off: who is the new team? Give a name, their position on the team, a character description, maybe even a backstory.
      This is a rather broad question and really depends on what exactly the "Stargate spin off" entails. The make up of an SG team in a spin off focusing on a new batch of recruits joining the program decades in the future after the Stargate has become common knowledge world-wide would differ greatly from the make up of a team in a spin off focusing on the adventures of the Chinese ship Sun Tzu and her crew circa 2009.

Assuming 1) the spin-off in question doesn't diverge too drastically from the SG1/SGA/SGU formula and is set in roughly the same time frame as the other shows and 2) I don't have to worry about things like budget or ratings for the purposes of the thought-experiment then I would like to see the main SG team headed by someone other than an Anglo-Saxon American. And I'm not saying this out of any "S.J.W." motivation -- by the time events of Stargate: Atlantis role around 21 countries are contributing to Stargate exploration and yet all the important main Tau'ri characters with reoccurring roles are American (with the exception of the Canadian Dr. McKay and the Czech Dr. Zelenka). Sure USA may very well be contributing the most and, as the ones who physically control the Stargate, have the final say on who gets top positions but you could explore some interesting interpersonal interactions if you have characters from different and possibly rival countries.

To give an example, I always thought it would have been interesting if Col. Checkov got what he was asking for in episode "Redemption" and a Russian was placed on SG-1 to replace Dr. Jackson. It would be rather fun to see the Russian character banter with O'Neill who, due to his Cold War spec-ops background, has certain mistrust towards them. One could explore how they both have their professional and cultural differences but eventually bond as team-mates in face of common obstacles (this was kind-off glossed over when it came to Jonas Quinn IMO).

This is a bit of an aside, but I was on-again-off-again working on an alternative universe fanfic where one of the divergences from canon involved Col. Alexi Vaselov becoming the head of SG-1. Progress is slow though so I'm not sure if that fic will ever see the light of day.

Comment

Working...
      X