Anton Yelchin dies in freak accident at 27 years of age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    Yeah. Even the garages can't fix all cars at once, even if he did get the notice. That said, if he had received the notice one would expect him to be extra careful about not getting out of the car while the engine was running, even to pick up the mail.

Sorry to rain on what was a tragic accident, but I'm honestly sick of the American blame-shifting where people get into accidents they could have avoided with due diligence and then sue. And in the case of celebrities in particular, they often win too.

That said, carmakers usually don't publicize their recalls as much as they should because they want to avoid the bad publicity that goes with not getting it right the first time.
    I'm not sure this is recall or lawsuit-worthy either.
    Nowhere is it written that cars must continue to use the traditional shifting mechanisms, with notches and such, just as it is not written that they must continue to use keys to start them.

I think the more important question is did the owner read and understand the owner's manual description of how to shift the vehicle and the mechanism malfunctioned or did the owner not bother to rtfm and assumed that he knew how to operate it?

If the former, fine, hang Chrysler out to dry. By rights, they should have gone out of business in 1979 anyway. But if the latter, that's on the owner, not the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
    X