Characters we might not miss: Major Samuels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Characters we might not miss: Major Samuels

Hi, I was watching the Pilot and a smattering of episodes from the first season of Stargate SG-1 recently and for some reason my DVD was getting stuck around the time that Samuels visits O'Neil again at his home. I have no idea why but it did get me to think about Major Samuels.

Samuels was originally envision as the XO for General Hammond in the SGC. Unlike many other views, to me he did not neccesarily come across as slimy to me in that first episode. He did his job and appeared Loyal to Hammond. I think they were trying to make him come across as too officious for O'Neil but again if they didn't it didn't have much of an impact.

Later he was assigned to the Pentagon and fell in with Senator Kinsey in Politics until finally we see him and the Go'auld Buster Missiles in the Serpents Grasp. He was obviously the person charged with their development but his rather pedestrian views on weapons technology probably didn't survive.

Again it got me to wondering if he was always destined to disappear for so long from the series.. or disappear at all.

Im not exactly sure WHAT his role would of been in the series. Would he of been the one involved in the mission briefings instead of Hammond? Sent to negotiate on behalf of Hammond? I think we would of lost out on many good Hammond scenes if Sammuels had stayed around but I think he might of actually been a good addition to the series in general.

What's everyone elses view of what Major Sammuels might of added to the show in the Long term?

To be honest, i had to check the omnipedia to see who he was.

I don't think there was much room for the character, which is why he probably got axed.

Comment

I think he could've been a frenenemy for the SGC. They could've had him be a character that would get in the way of SG1/SGC because he disagrees with their methodology but would sometimes support them because he supports their end goal.

They could've had him in Line of Duty as someone who wanted to take Carter away to interrogate what they assumed was a Goa'uld and the SGC could fight back saying they value her life more than what information it could provide. Then when the truth about the Ashrak and the Tok'ra are revealed he could then order his men to protect Carter.

Hammond often puts his faith in SG1. Samuels could have scenes arguing with Hammond about this.
      In Into the Fire he could be arguing that Hammond shouldn't send and risk so many people to rescue SG1 and stonewalls him from sending more but then, when he hears Teal'c has a small jaffa brigade, agree to loan them some extra armor and staff weapons they've collected in the past. Samuels would even offer to "loan" them a present which would turn out to be a spare death glider that Teal'c and Hammond would pilot instead of the needle threader.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I think the whole "opposing SGC" thing was difficult to pull off considering the SGC had little choice and little to lose. There wasn't much room for exploring the grey areas of Gate Travel versus an opponent that's undeniably evil.

Comment

Interesting thought, we never really saw much of the higher up people Hammond had to deal with. I think it worked out better that way.. it was like he was covering things up at times for them, and when it did come out in the open (threats against his family etc.), it made for some good story episodes.

Comment

I think Davis is actually the 'good' version of Samuels. Perhaps what Samuels might have been if they made him less antagonistic... a lot less.

Davis was great for the show. He was brought in as needed and was a great officer.

Comment

Maybe the reason we never see him again, is cause they gave us davis instead..

Comment

I'm thinking Samuels could possibly have turned out to be 'Maybourne' if the writers decided to go down that road. Maybourne was no different to Samuels when we first meet him I've always thought. He was just as 'antagonistic' in his belief he was doing the right things and as irritating as Samuels was!

Comment

Working...
                X