The Warcraft Movie (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Warcraft Movie (Spoilers)

The full trailer for next summer's Warcraft movie came out today. I used to be a huge Warcraft fan for a while, so I'm rather excited about this. Anyone who ever played World of Warcraft might recognize a similar aesthetic from that game, but this movie is a prequel, telling a rough approximation the first contact between humans and the orcs from the 1994 game "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans."

Also EVEN more Ryan Robins!
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 06 November 2015, 03:44 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

I´m still skeptical about this movie, but hopefully it will manage to be good.

Comment

It looks better than i expected, and i'm hugely hyped for a Warcraft movie series. The story of Warcraft I-II-III is way too good to waste on just an old game most computers can't run properly anymore.

What bothers me about the trailer is that it makes it look like a generic Good VS Evil LOTR clone, even though the real Warcraft world (and story) is full of morally grey races filled with people that jump at the chance to make life just that bit better, and occasionally going so far that they alienate themselves.

What makes characters like Illidan and Arthas shine is that they tried to do the right thing but went so far down the rabbit hole that they became the very thing they were fighting. And yet every decision along the way makes sense.

I personally hope the movie itself shows the proper story, of the Orcs being driven into a corner and forced to abandon their planet, of the orc Gul'dan making a deal with the literal devil and both saving and dooming his race in the process. About colorful humans that both want to help or destroy the Orcs and about colorful orcs that want to help or destroy humanity.

EDIT:
      i should add, i only briefly played WOW but felt it was way too grindy and slow. For me, Warcraft canon is the RTS canon.

Comment

Personally, I thought that trailer was about what it ought to be in terms of the morality of the orcs and humans. I think the trailer makes the orcs more sympathetic than the games did because they added Durotan's story to the events of the First War. The orcs are the invaders - they should be the primary villains of the story, but we are getting characters that humanize them and believe in a better future.

I believe the backstory of first two games was that the Orcish Horde was a race of bloodthirsty warmongering demon worshipers that exterminated most life on their world and came to Azeroth because they hungered for more conquest after exhausting the resources of their own planet. Even in Warcraft III we see a few members of this Horde and they are pretty one dimensional in their evil. And even in the current version of lore that retconed some of the orcs (like Ogrim) to be more honorable, Gul'dan was still a monster who sold out his own people for power.
        Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 07 November 2015, 08:27 AM.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

For all my fond childhood/teen memories of hours upon hours of playing WC1, 2, and 3...that trailer was dreadful.

It looks like a horrendous B-movie. A horrendous B-movie that somehow scored an unlimited budget for VFX and costuming, but wasn't allowed to spend on anything else. Hopefully the movie turns out a lot better than this.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I completely disagree. I thought it looked awesome. That trailer actually gave me goosebumps.
            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 07 November 2015, 11:48 AM.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

WOW never did grab my attention; I was an avid Everquest player at the time, but I did apply and was accepted for the Beta of WOW. I decided against it when I learned that they were using P2P or bittorrent to distribute their game updates.

I'm not about to open a hole in my firewall for that to work, and if you didn't, updates took forever.

Sorry, I'm not about to provide the bandwidth for some company's game updates. They want to make and charge for a game, they provide the d/l servers.

In addition, the graphics were too cartoonish for my taste, and gameplay wasn't up to Everquest standards.

There was talk of making an Everquest movie, but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

Comment

Lord of the Rings has a lot to answer for.

Comment

It's pretty, but it's gonna be bad ... IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                    It's pretty, but it's gonna be bad ... IMO
                    I hope it's going to be great, but everyone knows the history of game movies, so the odds are definitely in favor of it being really really bad.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                    Gul'dan was still a monster who sold out his own people for power.
                    True, though you can wonder how much a lowly being retains of himself in the face of the Burning Legion and the truly insane power it wields. The orcs had monsters among them but so do the humans. most of them -in my view- seemed to fight mostly because everyone else fought and the concept of diplomacy seemed very alien to...well everyone?

It doesn't help that the Orcs were fighting for resources in their world, then for resources on Azeroth, and basically continuously were at war for survival.

Comment

By the laws of averages surely there will one great game to movie adaptation. Prince of Persia wasn't half bad.
                      Will this be it, I honestly don't know from the trailer.

All I know is Duncan Jones is a talented director and I think we haven't seen the best from him yet but this is a massive step up for him.

Comment

Really didn't like the CGI as soon as it switched to the Orcs and their environment - too obviously CGI that it is jarring against the live action performances. I think this will be bad.

Comment

So.. A film based on WoW.. I was actually surprised how good it was, even with me not being a WoW player, i was engrossed from start to finish, and how it was left off.. I can easily see 2-3 more sequals..

BUT as a long time ADND player, i was surprised that critters so BIG were called orcs, when they are more akin to what ADND classes as ogres...

Comment

In Warcraft, Ogres are something else that are even bigger.

I personally really enjoyed it (despite the reviews said), but as a fan I felt they left out some key things from the story, and for non fans they should have added more establishing scenes early on.
                            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 12 June 2016, 07:42 AM.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

One of the gripes i heard from several in the auditorium was WHAT was up with the elves eyes glowing like that?? They all seemed to have it...

Comment

Working...
                              X