This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something went wrong with this site...

This morning I opened my browser and came to this site. Everything was normal. I posted a few comments on some topics and after my 3rd post ... the layout of every page has changed to plain text. There are no more graphics anywhere. Everything is black text on a white background with blue links.

The standard layout is no longer formatted. For instance, this page looks like:

Log Out
    My Controls
    My Profile
    Notifications
    No new messages
    Inbox
    Welcome, Science

Forum
    Private Messages
    FAQ
    Calendar
    Community
    Groups
    Albums
    Friends & Contacts
    Forum Actions
    Mark Forums Read
    General Settings
    Edit Profile
    Quick Links
    Today's Posts
    Subscribed Threads
    Open Contacts Popup
    View Site Leaders
    Who's Online
    GW Home
    Episodes
    Omnipedia
    News
    Interviews
    Gallery
    Podcast

etc

I closed my Firefox browser and other apps, rebooted my computer, and came back to this site. Same problem. I updated Firefox to the latest version and I disabled all Firefox Add-On's. That didn't help either. I also logged out of my account to see if maybe it was something in my profile, but it remains the same. I went to Firefox's Privacy Options and I deleted all cookies containing the search phrase 'gate'. Nothing I do seems to help. I can click on the links for Episodes, Omnipedia, News, Interviews, and Gallery and those work fine. So I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the forum only. No other website that I've been to has this issue.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Using the latest version of Firefox. Add-on's enabled. Multiple tabs open. All cookies in place.

Site is showing just fine.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. I downloaded Opera and this site looks fine in it so it must be something with my Firefox. The weird thing is that I didn't change anything just before it happened, and I had automatic updates turned off for everything. So I have no clue as to what could have started it. I'll have to search around and try to find help for the problem.

Comment

That occasionally happens to me. However when it happens to men, a refresh is enough. Sounds like this must be different.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

It sounds a little bit like a bad connection -- it connects, receives some of the site data, then hangs long enough to sever, and your browser just displays what information it has.

If that is/was the case, it's unfortunately difficult to diagnose, because the hiccup could be at any number of hops between your own computer and the server that the forum is run off of.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

All fine here as well, I am on the latest version of firefox as well though lately FF gave me troubles on other sites, like Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm pretty sure it has to be something with my Firefox since no one else is having problems. speedtest.net says my download speed is 187.43 Mbps and I can watch movies from Netflix and Amazon Prime without any issues. So I don't think it's my connection. Plus, this computer is directly connected to the router so it's not a WiFi issue. I'm going to backup my bookmarks, uninstall and reinstall Firefox (with no add-on's) and see where that takes me.

Comment

I hope it'll work *crosses fingers* I'd go to use Chrome myself since FF acts up lately for me too but Chrome eats to much RAM on my PC

Comment

It's fixed!

After I un/re-installed Firefox this site worked again. I installed Add-On's one by one and this site was fine until I installed AdBlock Plus. I manually disabled AdBlock Plus for forum.gateworld.net and the site works like it should.

*whew* I'm so glad this site looks normal again.

Comment

Odd, I use Adblock Plus and have no issues. Weird.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That is weird. The strangest thing is that the problem started randomly - in the middle of me posting comments. Everything was fine, then BAM!

Comment

I use AdBlock as well and all fine but then again, don't we all know that technic stuff sometimes has a mind on its own?

I am glad though it works again for you now

Comment

Working...
                        X