Is MacGyver worth watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is MacGyver worth watching?

Now that I'm getting into SG-1 I've found that the guy who plays O'Neil was also on a show called MacGyver. I was thinking of checking it out. What's your opinion of it?

I've seen all the original MacGyver episodes with the younger RDA. I watched a trailer for the rebooted version of the show, but it doesn't do anything for me. If RDA makes a guest appearance then maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
      Now that I'm getting into SG-1 I've found that the guy who plays O'Neil was also on a show called MacGyver. I was thinking of checking it out. What's your opinion of it?
      That's O'Neill with two "ll's", as Jack says in one episode of SG1.

As for MacGyver, it was very popular in it's day. I'm not so sure the new version will be as popular, but we never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
        you can catch some of it on you tube, from what I remember, it was impossible campy thrills and fun, and the reason I got the swiss army knife I still have today, and use, so , for me, I say yes, sit back and enjoy the fun.

Comment

I grew up watching MacGuyver and I loved it!

Like epg20 says, it's campy, full of thrills and funny. It's definitely worth the view.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I did love it, but when i got the dvds and started to watch it again i fell asleep Couldnt watch it anymore, but, give it a go, if youve never seen it it might be good fun for you
            sigpic

Comment

I loved it way back when, but it's been ages since I've tried to rewatch it.
              sigpic

Comment

I think I'll also give it a watch now; it sounds fun. Thanks for the opinions guys
                Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
                Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
                Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

I'm considering the same thing. Just looking at RDA's IMDB page now.. hmm, wonder what Jack was like in General Hospital as Dr Jeff Webber, his first role

Comment

There are 7 seasons but the last is rather short in comparison. Maybe it was canceled early. Then there are 2 TV-movies to be viewed after you watch the series.

Season 1: 22 episodes
                    Season 2: 22 episodes
                    Season 3: 20 episodes
                    Season 4: 19 episodes
                    Season 5: 21 episodes
                    Season 6: 21 episodes
                    Season 7: 14 episodes
                    Movie 1: Lost Treasure Of Atlantis
                    Movie 2: Trail To Doomsday

You can buy the complete Seasonal collection on Amazon for $50 on DVDs. It comes with both movies. Not a bad deal really if you want a physical copy of it. You can also get 2 movies together for $10. If you have Amazon Prime you can watch all 7 seasons for free. The movies are not available on Prime.

Netflix has all 7 seasons for rent on DVD, and as Streaming video. They have the movies as a single rental on DVD, but they are not available for Streaming.

So you'll need to rent or buy the movies if you want to see them.

Just for a time reference: MacGyver started in 1985. The last 2 episodes of Season 7 were recorded in 1992. The two movies were made in 1994. Stargate came about in 1997.

Last year they were talking about making a new MacGyver series. On May 18th this year (that's last Wednesday folks) they released the first preview of the new MacGyver show on CBS. A guy named Lucas Till has replaced Richard Anderson as MacGyver. I couldn't find a release date for the show, but I'm guessing it won't be long before it starts. You may know Lucas Till from when he played Alex Summers (ie Havok) in a few of the X-Men movies.
                    Last edited by Science; 23 May 2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

And where does "MacGruber" fit in? Heh, just kidding.

I wonder if our view of Jack O'Neill will change after watching MacGyver..

Comment

Two very different characters. COuldn't be further apart, I think (or as I can remember).
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The TV movies suck rocks. They are horrible (and I say this as someone who owns both).

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

MacGyver is worth watching - but you cannot expect to see a young Jack O'Neill!
                            RDA is a handsome young man in the eps, clever, inventive and always lucky.
                            I love watching it while doing the housework - I can listen to the English language and have a look now and then when I know the going gets tough.
                            Don't compare the roles, they are like ying and yang.
                            Some eps are very touching (The Widowmaker/ The Spoilers), some are funny (Good Knight MacGyver).
                            It's worth a try. Have fun.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

MacGyver would despise Jack O'Neill, and Jack would think Mac was an a**hole scientist and pacifist. That's actually part of the fun, to me, that one actor could create two such different characters and make you believe in them both.

One thing to watch is how Mac starts out with brown hair and gets blonder and blonder as the series progresses. RDA was 35 when the series started, and 42 when it ended. It's my theory that the bleaching was intended to cover up the fact that his hair was going gray.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                              X