Main Battle Tanks in Stargate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Battle Tanks in Stargate.

Probably due to budget constraints, armoured ground vehicles have never been seen in Stargate. For an army like the ones owned by a System Lord (thousands of Jaffa infantrymen), it would seem logical to have some form of ground armour to fight. I found some nice sketches on Google Image for a Goa'uld hover tank :
    [RESIZE=100]http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1...ches_tank2.png[/RESIZE]
    I would assume that since it is a hovertank, it could be a much bulkier, heavy version of the Death Glider with heavy weapons, and unable to effectively fight while flying high.

And for a Tau'ri equivalent, if the Tau'ri decide to have a similar vehicle, the design of the HT-95 Levkov from Battlefield 4 (a videogame) would be perfect :
    [RESIZE=100][/RESIZE]

I was thinking of this for a geo-political styled hypothetical war scenario between the Free Jaffa, the Tau'ri and the Lucian Alliance after the Ori were defeated.

What do you think ?

True land warfare was always something that was overlooked in Stargate with a greater emphasis on the air component. Conventional warfare dictates that a strong land army, including a mechanised force, is required for seizing and holding ground. That said, the Goa'uld employed their air component in a terroristic way which is very reminiscent of the colonial inter-war 'air policing', just with a much more substantial effect. The Goa'uld did not have a military based on conventional combat, they had one based on a similar such colonial enforcement strategy. They don't need to hold ground, unless fighting other Goa'uld system lords. They either need to induce fear or destroy - aerial forces are good at that.

By extension, given that SG teams engaged in combat with Goa'uld forces were dealing with an enemy who operated with almost complete control of the air, it's highly unlikely that a strong Tau'ri ground element would be beneficial. First rule of multi-platform operations is to ensure a localised favourable air situation. SG team MBTs or lesser armoured vehicles would only be of substantial use if such a favourable air situation could be achieved. This would require primarily an anti-air capability, either in the form of ground based air defence systems or fighter assets. Given, however, that very rarely were SG teams attempting to seize and secure ground, the question is whether or not there's much point in trying, when any successful counter-air strategy significantly neutralises the bulk of the enemy threat.

It's no wonder, therefore, that SG teams focused more on a non-mechanical manouverist approach to combat, with an increasing emphasis on air assets as the technology become available. I'm simply surprised that there weren't more covert missions requiring teams to live within the populace and foster hearts and minds. Beyond that, SG teams operated in a largely commando style role which is definitely in keeping with the required approach to combat. It's no wonder why most of the combat units were Marines, that's very much their speciality.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Certainly a very interesting and detailed analysis, thank you (and have some rep once I figure out how it works) !
      My idea was that the development of a Tau'ri MBT specifically designed for extra-terrestrial incursions would have happened after the Tau'ri had acquired battlecruisers (like the BC-304, circa 2005), in which case they would have acquired ground superiority after air/space superiority.

Comment

Even so, the majority of planets are pretty underdeveloped. Warfare in the majority of the galaxy would simply consist of orbital bombardment.

What races are out there that this doesn't apply to.. we're better off avoiding war at all. The galaxy's pretty big.

Comment

For the Goa'uld it would've made good sense to give their troops personal energy shields. Remember they need to keep their conquests alive for use as hosts. Blowing them away with tanks or orbital bombardment wouldn't result in anyone being captured.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
            For the Goa'uld it would've made good sense to give their troops personal energy shields.
            Since they didn't trust their underlings with much power, no it wouldn't.

Comment

My story for the tanks here rather fitted a total war scenario between the Lucian Alliance and the Tau'ri, as they would both have to enslave worlds to keep arge production going (and recruitment for the Tau'ri since there wouldn't be able to draft enough people from Earth without disclosing the program)

Comment

The Lucian Alliance has no interest in WAR - they fight the Tau'ri when necessary and avoid them most other times - they are a ****ing criminal organisation (and their main goal is not to topple governments, no they just want to make MONEY (or naquada or whatever else that is worth something))

As for MBTs - interesting, but an APC would make more sense (if it has air defenses (like short range SAMs)) especially since it is faster and its main gun (which could be replaced with a staff-cannon!) is enough to engage Jaffa!

But something like a Puddle-Jumper would make even more sense (with propper armaments and no vulerable window (!)...and a shield in addition to a cloak (and maybe a hyperdrive for emergencies! Like say if someone beams the ****ing gate away or keeps it dialed in order to spring a trap!))

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Since they didn't trust their underlings with much power, no it wouldn't.
                  Well, not exactly true - minor lords did have shields, they didn't trust their Jaffa!

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                    Remember they need to keep their conquests alive for use as hosts. Blowing them away with tanks or orbital bombardment wouldn't result in anyone being captured.
                    The Goa'uld don't really need to maintain human populations to ensure a supply of hosts like the Wraith need to do so for food. Hosts are fairly durable, capable of lasting thousands of years, humans are everywhere so it's not that difficult to find one if a new host is needed, and the Goa'uld are small in number due to the system lords eliminating competition by not allowing all those larva that the millions of Jaffa run around with and replace every few years to take a host in maturity by killing a lot of them.

They therefore have no compulsion about bombarding human worlds that are a threat to them. Particularly as those worlds need to be bombarded because they had been ignored for hundreds of years and they came back to the Goa'uld's attention as a result of their irksome technological advancements. They are essentially forgotten populations, so it's not as if they're killing off resources; they maintain their slave populations pretty well by regularly sending their underlings to intimidate and keep them down.

What are valuable to them are Jaffa because there's training involved and replacing them by modifying more humans is not a great idea; they need to come up in a culture of indoctrination (unless you have Hathor around to love slave them into submission). It is for that reason that Jaffa are among the spoils of war that a system lord will try to take when they defeat another system lord. For that to work, the Jaffa have a culture that stresses honor based warfare. They don't exist to force advanced worlds into submission, that's what orbital bombard is for, and they are supposed to intimidate and scare primitive populations into continued submission, rather than slaughter them (hence the famous scene where Jack explains the difference between staff weapons and P90s, with the latter being actual weapons of war). Similarly, with each other, the goal is again not slaughter other groups of Jaffa because a system lord would then lose the ability to take enemy Jaffa as their own after defeating their overlord, and they would also have a reduced ability to effectively defend themselves against another system lord. If the Jaffa were made to be insanely effective killing machines, not only would they slaughter enemy Jaffa, but they would take such heavy loses of their own that a system lord who initiated a war would come out of it weaker than before, opening themselves up to outside attack, rather than strengthening their position at the conclusion of a successful conquest, as is currently the case.

It's a system that works great as long as all parties agree to it but if an outside party comes along with weapons and tactics designed for wars of destruction and has the means to protect against the orbital bombard option, the results are not great. For what it's worth, Anubis tried to adapt with the creation of his Kull Warriors, but the rest of the Goa'uld remind me a bit of the 18th century British, continually not understanding why their enemy doesn't fight "honorably" and having problems using the superiority of their fleet to decisively end the conflict because of the ability of the colonials to retreat away from the coasts and because of help from France's fleet.
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 10 January 2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

The Goa'uld didn't have land tanks, but they did have cannons to defend a position or tear down doors.
                      https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20111108104929

Comment

I understand why armored vehicles were not used in the production of SG-1 as they cost money to film.

That said, if I was running the SGC, it would be in some large dome out in the desert where I could seal it for medical containment, but I could also bring in M1 tanks, Bradley APCs, M109 self propelled howitzers, etc. You would need to build some special bridging equipment, but they would all fit. I would be taking ground where I could and taking the fight to the system lords where I could. All those worlds where SG1 finds that the Goauld have not visited in a long time would become potential colonies IMO. Manpower would not be a problem as the whole world would have known at the end of season 1. There would have been no way to keep that secret.

Comment

1697371115433.jpg The problem of unprotected fighting vehicles is now solved. Im presenting the LRPDP/AirDefenceSystem. Set with a 25mm Gatling Gun (from 20mm to 25mm for higher projectile movement as same as higher kinetic energy production. The combat range stands between 400m to 1500m. Any Goa'uld fighter needs for an succesfull attack on tanks low speed and lower altitude. This Gatling fires between 30 to 40 projectiles a second. Used are Naquadah full metall jackets. As soon as the extern radar module has contact, will the gun tower rotate to the targets position and fires automatically. In case if the enemy starts attacking the vehicle an grenade launcher modul produces a wide smoke cloud for cover. Optional is a laser block wich will focus the enemy's cockpit.

Comment

Working...
                          X