X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2
    Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
    PK Tech Girl

Bit late in m’ watching this week. And jelgate and Squirrely have already excellently covered a lot of the content.
    Not that late. Still waiting for FH. I had to rush myself to write the review. Well have to do it again. Frell these double shifts.
    Before we get to the shipping, the editing point of view:
    Or we could not talk about the shipping.
    Not so many moving shots in this episode, but great colour: yellow, red and cyan lights on close ups that work well for vidding, particularly in the scenes on the Zelbinian. CGI is passable, although not as good as other episodes.
    CGI was fairly new at the time. You ever notice how the Zelbinian looks like an old factory and quit different from Crais' command carrier.
    Definitely worth editing this episode up if you are making a John/Aeryn video, despite the fact that they don’t actually physically do anything with each other. Lots of longing/ ‘what am I feeling?’ looks.
    Where is that vomit bucket?
    Similarly, from a *cough* purely aesthetic *cough* pov, Crichton discards the IASA ‘ I’m wearing a sheep’ jacket about half way through in favour of short sleeve white T-shirt.
    I just assumed it was hot since they were in the engine room
    Like Squirrely, the John/Aeryn love story is my favourite Farscape arc. Jelgate, you probably won’t be happy to learn that the video I’m working on from editing up the rewatch is a shipping vid…
    Their is my vomit bucket. I'm going to need. Joking aside, I'm not blind. I know a lot of people love the John/Aeryn story. I'm not against it like SQ would believe. My issue is its overuse at the expense of other character. I think Pilot gets 1 episode devoted to him.

Yep, totally agree, the show’s lack of a reset button is what make the love arc stand out. I also like the fact that their relationship and emotional maturity isn’t linear, sometimes they move backwards (just like real life!). But it is always in response to an event or an internal block they’ve come up against.
    That I can agree on. It takes a huge back in S3 with Aeryn's stupidity. But we will get to that later. SQ knows what episode I am talking about

It interesting to get different viewers angles on when they see them 'falling' for each other isn't it? I think Aeryn falls for Crichton from the very first episode. She takes a risk for a complete stranger by speaking up for him against Crais; that’s not a particularly peacekeeper-sort of thing to do. Nor is it particularly wise strategically and Aeryn is normally a smart cookie.
    Nope. She stood up for John because she genuinely believed he was innocent. It wasn't love but here sense of right and wrong. It was naïve trust in the military of the Peacekeepers.
    In this episodes there’s some dialogue that the penalty for being ‘irreversibly contaminated’ is death.I think this is the first time that it's mentioned: Crichton certainly looks surprised. He didn’t necessary clock before just how big a leap Aeryn took by trying to defend his crash as accidental. There is also a line in I think Bad Timing that could be read as
    Spoiler:
    if Aeryn on some level knew she loved him from the very start, something like:

John: What worries me, is that from the beginning I could never see the end.
    Aeryn: What worries me is that I always could.
    I think it was kind of obvious what the penalty was. I suppose you could make an argument this was the first time it was directly mentioned. Aeryn probably didn't think Crais would get so overemotional about his brother. She expected him to think in rational terms. Its not love just a misguided judgment on Aeryn's part.
    Crichton is a little harder to read as to when he starts having feelings for Aeryn. But to me, there’s a line in episode 3, when he says (of the Aeryn copy) “It was exactly like you. The way it moved. The way it felt.” There is then a definite moment. Yes, I’ll admit it subtext, but there is a beat.
    That is just him saying how the clone looked just like Aeryn. He could of said the same of Zhaan or Rygel.
    And by this episode, the fact that he leaves Gilina to go ‘clear the air’… well there’s something there at least.
    Its John's feelings of compassion. He doesn't want anyone to feel upset. Its not any different than when he talked to D'Argo about how he feels betrayed
    That said, I do like Gilina. And I think that she and early series ‘gee-whiz, isn’t the universe wondrous’ John work well as a couple. She’s good with science, doesn’t seem to want to kill anyone or screw them over (quite a novelty in the Farscape universe), is able to express emotions… in fact pretty much the opposite of Aeryn at this point.
    I agree. They share mutual interests.
    However, I think it’s interesting
    Spoiler:
    that by the end of series 1, she will totally not be what darker, more world weary Crichton needs, particularly post-Scorpius. By then, he needs someone who’s harder, who’s going to keep him alive…
    the best way to explain was for me to gif-set a paralleling of blocking I noticed in some later episodes ( see link below)
    Seasons. In American shows its called seasons not series This point I will concede on. Call it what it is. John needs someone more insane like him.
    BUT WARNING: these are very spoilery for both season 1 and PK wars. Do not click if you haven’t seen the whole of Farscape yet.

http://thebluemeany.tumblr.com/post/...hip-priorities
    I'll admit I clicked link and was totally confused on what I was seeing
    I also enjoyed that Aeryn and Gilina’s interaction wasn't really to do with Crichton. That was refreshing. They weren’t rivals in terms of how they acted to each other. In fact they have a nice connection by the end of the episode with Aeryn giving advice, and Gilina taking hold of her hand.
    Except for the scene where John and Aeryn kissed. Besides that you were. You could use Gilina as a comparison if Aeryn hadn't been contaminated.
    Oh, and I also note that the old ‘I have something in my eye’ routine works in other galaxies too. That’s good to know.
    I use it often.

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
    @ Bluemeany....first off YAY!! So glad to meet another shippery person about the John/Aeryn love story. We will undoubtedly drive jel crazy. *snort* I can't wait to see your shippy vid, I actually have done a lot of vidding myself, but I have never made one of John/Aeryn...so I may just do one now...as a sort of challenge. We'll see. Maybe this summer.
    You underestimate how much time I have been around the rabid actions of shippers. Making videos of any kind are beyond my ability. And I'm to lazy to care to learn.
    As far as when John/Aeryn first really started "falling for each other" I think it was pretty close from the start for both of them. John I think clung onto her because she was the closest thing to human he had found up to that point, and her being female was even better. I'm sure he was pretty much elated. However, he was dealing with trying to cope in this new world and the other team members that he really thwarted his thoughts of her in that way IMO. I think John just continued to push it to the back burner because he recognized that Aeryn wasn't ready or receptive for that matter. Unlike the pliable (and no that's not a play on words ) Giliana. Let's face it Aeryn at this point is hard to love. She pushes people away and is very hardened. Giliana is what John finds refreshing because she accepts his advances and succumbs quite easily to him. Aeryn is going to prove a much harder catch for him and I think it's that dance (that you mention) that draws me to this ship so much too because while it can be frustrating for some to watch I really feel like this is how true companionship works alot of times...you know one step forward, two back. So I like that you pointed out that
    Spoiler:
    John and Aeryn's relationship is not linear by any means but it's that rocky path that makes it so titillating and interesting and makes you really want them to be together at the end for that pay off they both deserve.
    If we call this this episode the start I'll agree. I mean we are not really that far in. I agree about Aeryn being hard to love because she has this emotional barriers. Like I have said before Gilina is because they similar. But remember the opposites attract cliché.
    Love the gifs and can we use some of them with your permission?
    Don't do it blue. She can't be trusted
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

@ Bluemeany....first off YAY!! So glad to meet another shippery person about the John/Aeryn love story. We will undoubtedly drive jel crazy. *snort* I can't wait to see your shippy vid, I actually have done a lot of vidding myself, but I have never made one of John/Aeryn...so I may just do one now...as a sort of challenge. We'll see. Maybe this summer.
      Yep, we are going be insufferable You should definitely do a Farscape vid! There a lack of recent ones round now; they’re all about 10 years old. So an entire decade of new songs to pick from

Although that said, I’m using a 70’s song so…

Love the gifs and can we use some of them with your permission?
      Oh totally, no need to ask … I might make some more as we go along in the re-watch…I was messing around this morning with a Doctor Who/ Farscape parallel gifset that you might like since I think you mentioned you were a DW fan? http://thebluemeany.tumblr.com/post/...s-factories-of

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Don't do it blue. She can't be trusted
        Oh no! I replied and then scrolled down and I read your post...eeek! Too late...

Comment

Seasons. In American shows its called seasons not series
          Ah yes, seasons not series over there, sorry, forgot that.

Doesn’t usually come up in the UK, as (with a few notable forty year plus exceptions) British TV tends to only make 6 or 12 episodes of a good thing before moving on to something else The standard response of the wider world being‘ What! Was that it?!What do you mean that’s the end?!! Where’s the rest of it?!’

I'll admit I clicked link and was totally confused on what I was seeing
          I was trying (badly) to show that there’s a parallel scene of Gilina and Aeryn not shooting/shooting the big bad of the season… and world-weary post Scorpius Crichton's needs fit best with the latter one.

I don’t think Aeryn/John are ‘fated’ to be together from episode one… I think the universe Crichton experiences pushes him towards fitting with Aeryn and up until a certain turning point (IMO Human Reaction, but we’ll get to that when we get there) their relationship is by no means a ‘sealed’ deal.

Before then, John and Gilina are probably a better fit. ‘True loves’ in the Farscape universe depend on what ‘time’ or stage of life a character is at… it isn’t all destiny like it is in most films and TV.

Comment

You forget who you are talking too. We have known each other for 9 years. I know how dirty you can be.

Anna Galvin
            Damn it!
            Anna -- she's just... ah, who am I kidding... yes, I admit... dirty, dirty, dirty mind I have.

Not that late. Still waiting for FH.
            Watched the episode last night before moving onto the season finale of The Flash and two of the last four of Arrow. And then I went to bed... Today, I had vacuuming to do before I could turn my attention to fannish stuff.

Anyhoodle -- you guys pretty muched summed it all up.

PK Tech Girl

It's a fun little story where all the characters have their part to play except perhaps Pilot and Moya. Zhaan using Ka D'Argo to fool the scavengers (who spit fire?!?), John does a little Kirking, Aeryn finds out what happened to her unit. You can tell, she's upset by the notion. Rygel gets to confront his demon, Durka, and upsets the DRD's -- see, they're not just little robots, they have feelings too. -- I should really build one. --

Aeryn walking in on John and the tech girl kissing, and their "air cleaning" in the hallway -- *snort*
            Well now, Aeryn, are you jealous?
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That Old Black Magic
              This is a Zhaan episode disguised as John episode. Zhaan is my favorite character so its my turn to rave. And if you don't like SQ, I'm taking your rubber cement. This can be off putting because this episode establishes magic exist. I know some science fiction fans can be put off by that. I am not one of those people. Its the rules that matter and what makes Maldis so fun to watch. The magic fuels his desire. To keep it Maldis must kill. I say its disguised as a John episode because he is in a lot of the episode but ultimately John does nothing for 90% of the episode. Maldis tricks John with his deepest desire to straighten things out with Crais. I think we all knew that wasn't going to work out. Crais is too emotionally driven to listen to reason. Speaking of that, I liked the magic flashback. To me his father's wish to watch his brother is a big part why of Crais wants to kill John. Reason does not matter as Crais' brother is dead because of John. So we knew he was going to try to kill John regardless. The whole John scenes is just the two fighting and running. It get repetitive after awhile and like I said nothing really happens until their final fight where Maldis promises to let one of them live. I always have an issue with this fight. I for one struggle to believe John would be able to kill Crais. He should have the advantage with his military training. Now on the part I love. This is a Zhaan episode. Its about her leaving behind her peace attitude and doing what be done. I love the part on how she is reluctant to kill again because of the darkness it brings and how much she is afraid to lose herself. I find myself agreeing with the priest in that repressing it solves nothing in that sometimes peace is not enough and sometimes you have to fight to stop the evil. Like D'Argo said, sometimes you have to choose the lesser of the two evils. Even after Zhaan agrees you can still see reluctantance when her and the priest finally attack Maldis with the way she is shaking. Finally, I think the scene with Aeryn on Moya speaks to me with how it offends her. I can understand how hard it is for a person who does nothing but try to find peaceful solutions resort to violence. It is sadly sometimes necessary. Special funny mention to how much she liked hurting Rygel. I don't think I would blame her. Speaking of Rygel I loved his comedic moments. First when he skips over the death ceremony to steal John's things and then when he lies to John about being careless. I will end in saying the whole freezing of Aeryn and D'Argo seems to resonate that the writers didn't have a clue to do with these characters in this episode. I love this episode so do your worse SQ
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Ah yes, seasons not series over there, sorry, forgot that.

Doesn’t usually come up in the UK, as (with a few notable forty year plus exceptions) British TV tends to only make 6 or 12 episodes of a good thing before moving on to something else The standard response of the wider world being‘ What! Was that it?!What do you mean that’s the end?!! Where’s the rest of it?!’
                I have enjoyed my fair share of British TV. I used to love Merlin when it was on until they butchered the show in the final season

I was trying (badly) to show that there’s a parallel scene of Gilina and Aeryn not shooting/shooting the big bad of the season… and world-weary post Scorpius Crichton's needs fit best with the latter one.
                Fair enough. You also said that in text which I agreed with.
                I don’t think Aeryn/John are ‘fated’ to be together from episode one… I think the universe Crichton experiences pushes him towards fitting with Aeryn and up until a certain turning point (IMO Human Reaction, but we’ll get to that when we get there) their relationship is by no means a ‘sealed’ deal.
                I must learn to separate your shipping from SQ. I could agree with your analysis but as you said we will save that for later.
                Before then, John and Gilina are probably a better fit. ‘True loves’ in the Farscape universe depend on what ‘time’ or stage of life a character is at… it isn’t all destiny like it is in most films and TV.
                I don't believe in true love. I do agree about the Farscape part you said on the charater's stage
                Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Damn it!
                Anna -- she's just... ah, who am I kidding... yes, I admit... dirty, dirty, dirty mind I have.
                If only we still had the rules
                Watched the episode last night before moving onto the season finale of The Flash and two of the last four of Arrow. And then I went to bed... Today, I had vacuuming to do before I could turn my attention to fannish stuff.
                I usually watch them back to back. They are one of my favorites shows. I can't even go into the Arrow folder anymore. SQ can do your vacuuming. She is on a 3 month vacation from her daily naps
                Anyhoodle -- you guys pretty muched summed it all up.
                You know I have that effect on people
                PK Tech Girl

It's a fun little story where all the characters have their part to play except perhaps Pilot and Moya. Zhaan using Ka D'Argo to fool the scavengers (who spit fire?!?), John does a little Kirking, Aeryn finds out what happened to her unit. You can tell, she's upset by the notion. Rygel gets to confront his demon, Durka, and upsets the DRD's -- see, they're not just little robots, they have feelings too. -- I should really build one. --
                They explain how they spit fire in a later episode but we will come to that later. I agree you see Aeryn is upset. I forgot about the DRDs. Makes me long for 1812
                Aeryn walking in on John and the tech girl kissing, and their "air cleaning" in the hallway -- *snort*
                Well now, Aeryn, are you jealous?
                SQ will disagree but this is the first hint of the ship
                Jelgate is right

Comment

@ jel - re: your comments on my comments about PK Tech Girl Sorry I'm too lazy to quote. But Yes I liked Zhaan's idea of telling the little white lie. You didn't get my clever little Good, Bad Ugly reference? Zhaan's "Little bit of bad" was in the bad portion of my review. Hence in this case bad is good. LOL I like that Zhaan has this deep down bad side. And soon when I do my review of That Old Black Magic we'll see alot more of that!

@Bluemeany - and Jel to an extent. I think we may all have some slight disagreements about when we see the first sparks of the ship with Aeryn and John and that's ok. Suffice it to say for me I think there was some minor sparkage in the very first ep when he met her but it was quickly pushed to the back burner as I mentioned because John can't really pursue his curiousity about her because too much **** is going on. So yeah.....PK Tech Girl I think is the ep when it's more realized on screen. And it only goes on from here. YAY! Yes we will be insufferable and I will probably make the John/Aeryn vid now cuz my vidding is getting rusty and I need to do something this summer.

Thanks for the gif's ....mwhahahahahahahaha jel look out!! I'm armed and dangerous.

@Falcon Horus - *snort* You crack me up at how accurately succinct and humorous your reviews can be. Here I go on for days and you pop on and just put it right out there and it's hilarious!
                  Originally posted by jelgate
                  This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

That Old Black Magic

Ok so here we go...the gang goes to the circus, Zhaan meets up with a drug dealing pimp *cough* priest and Crichton goes on a magical field trip. Seriously, I don't know what these writers are smokin but this ep was fun and you have to appreciate the diversity of the world they deliver in this ep.
                    Lesser of Two Evils....
                    I don't have a clever little way to break this down except for maybe by character again because this was a huge Zhaan ep and to jel's point up there (Ok I'll let him have this one) *sigh* but I too like Zhaan and it's interesting to note that her and Aeryn's character arcs are on opposite trajectories it seems. Aeryn is all about softening up and becoming less warrior like and Zhaan had to become less peaceable and more warrior like. I think it's all summed up at the end when Aeryn calls her a warrior and well Zhaan didn't like that so much. Then we see Zhaan's discussion with John admitting she was a "savage" in the past and she's worked hard to put that aside. Only to end the ep with a horrified John at the thoughts of "gee just what is Zhaan capable of?"

So I did really like the Zhaan bits. And especially when Aeryn and D'argo go about defaulting to their usual "weapon" of choice only to be shot down by Zhaan literally when she tells them quite calmly that their weapons will not work on this "magic". Aeryn's response was hilarious. "well then...by all means!".. or something to that nature. So for Aeryn and D'argo they sort of regressed back a bit again both of them choosing the rifle over any other methods.

As for the magic element, it doesn't bother me, what bothers me is if there was this kind of power in existence then why all the clamor from the PK's about
                    Spoiler:
                    what weapon they want that we know is in John's head later in the series.
                    That sorta seems tame by comparison in a sense. Why not just conjure up another one of these Maldis wizards and make him do your bidding. That is my issue with magic in any show as it can become too overpowered and then what do you do? How do you squelch that power and make it so it cannot be used over and over again? I think they solved that issue with Zhaan using her combined strength with the Hippie Priest, but I honestly think I heard Zhaan say he was just "dispersed" and he could conjure up again or something? I had to worry a bit about that a little.

Fight and Flight
                    So this brings me to John and Crais. I really enjoyed it when they were finally able to come face to face. You gotta love John for trying to reason with Crais but then by the end when John is realizing he just will not be able to successfully do that as he's talking into his recorder, he notes that one of them will end up dead. I don't have issue with their fight scenes. I think they looked pretty believable. Remember jel, Crais is alot older than Crichton and he's been in a higher command position so his hand to hand combat training is probably rusty. I think John, because he is younger and probably a lot more physically fit (astronauts go through alot of rigorous training...and well lets just say that he's been on the run since he's been with the team), so I would say that John could easily have one over on Crais. But John doesn't want to fight Crais and he holds back...this proves to Johns disadvantage. My issue with the fighting is only when John's shoulder gets dislocated. That would pretty much be a devastating injury, one that would take a long time to heal and rehabilitate. I have injured my shoulder recently, not nearly as severe as that and I can say that it's dang painful and really limits range of motion and strength. So for John to bounce back from that injury so soon is highly unlikely.

I now Pronounce you DEAD

Rygel was being Rygel and I too liked the death ritual ....that he only performed so he could proceed to take John's stuff. LOL Then when John finally wakes that scene of John Not being in Kansas.....OMG that's it!! I could've used the whole Wizard of Oz theme for this review...oh well. John kissing Rygel.....gotta love it!

All in all this ep was a fun, magic carpet ride in which you just had to go with it and enjoy where it was taking you and the characters. Another great one to help the characters grow and develop and gel more as a team.

Comment

That Old Black Magic

Jelgate and SQ have both done detailed, insightful analyses of this episode above. My contribution is therefore going to focus on Ben Browder’s switch to a grey T-Shirt

I already have all the episodes queued up in my editing programme, so glancing down the list I can see that there’s a trend of: first third of season 1 = mainly white T-Shirt, middle third of season 1 (starting with this episode) = grey T-shirt, last third = black T-shirt.

Y’all going to tell me I’m reading too much into it, but I think the costume department might be trying to reflect the arc Crichton undergoes. He comes to the realisation he’s gonna have to kill Crais in this episode… his morals ( and therefore his T-shirt colour) shift towards the darker end of the spectrum.

Any vidders out there: if you’re looking to not edit up all 90 episodes, this could be on the ‘don’t bother’ list. Whilst it’s a fun episode to watch as a viewer, the moving shots are all a bit …samey… basically Crichton/ Crais fight sequences. Similarly, Zahn tackles the problem mostly with her mind and by being still. Probably not worth the trouble of ripping the whole episode.

The exception to this is if you are doing a Crais video… but even then the footage of his family/backstory comes up again in a condensed form in Hidden Memory so it’s probably easier to just go and get that.

My favourite bit is when D’Argo says ‘ It won’t work’ about Aeryn’s plan, and there is an immediate jump cut to Maldis saying ‘ It might work’.

Comment

@Blue...hope I can just call you Blue? If not let me know.... I like how you always look at the ep from the vidders perspective. I hadn't even noticed John's t-shirt. All I noticed was that he started with his orange jumpsuit on. Where did that go actually? I made a note mentally of how hot that thing must be and why on earth (or another planet) is he wearing that jumpsuit on this little field trip? The planet seemed really pretty tepid. And with Aeryn and her little crop tops, when the two of them are together and he has his Orange Jump suit on, he always seems over dressed.

I like that you caught the progressively darker t-shirt color...like you said...this could be a symbol for John slipping darker and darker down that rabbit hole and going just a little bit crazy. I do love the lighter (white tshirt) days of carefree fun loving John! Oh let's just hold on to these days for a little longer cuz soon....you're right he is gonna be smack dab into that dark path.

Comment

That Old Black Magic

Sidenote: Every single time I see this title, the song starts playing in my head. It's weird. And to top it off, I see a smokey WWII era bar.

Anyway...

Zhaan --

This was another episode where I had more or less forgotten what it was about again, so Zhaan's darkness took me a little by surprise.

It's a Zhaan episode. There's no going around that. Sure, John and Crais are having their heart-to-heart with the "help" of Maldis, and D'Argo and Aeryn are being complete knuckleheads. Rygel is conveniently left out of the picture, along with Moya and Pilot.

So, in search for a medicine to cure Rygel's flu or whatever it was he was suffering from, John goes and gets himself in trouble in a sort of dreamscape. He gets his wish to talk to Crais, whose only goal in life is to avenge his brother's death (the flashback to his father telling him to look after his brother explains his fierceness for the cause). I remembered he killed his second-in-command but couldn't remember when -- it was this episode. I don't understand, though, why. She was clearly loyal to him, fiercely so.

D'Argo and Aeryn choose brute force to battle the problem, but have to admit defeat as Zhaan is the only one strong enough (with the help of the red priest) to go up against Maldis' power. However, the journey will take her down a dark path she clearly worked hard to leave behind. She can't even bring herself to hurt the two-headed bird (which as it screamed made one our cats look up from his sleep, wondering where the kittens were hiding). It's as if the pain she's inflicting upon the creature reflects right back to her. And then she turns her focus on Rygel when the dude asks her to. Not for a moment does she consider the implications of focusing her deathray on Rygel. It doesn't seem to cross her mind that he's a shipmate - someone who shared PK-imprisonment. She's only worried her mind won't be able to reach that far. WTF Zhaan! A little consideration... even if he's a whiner. He didn't deserve that (good thing John kisses it all better later ).

As John and Crais are playing hide-and-seek, Zhaan is being prepared to become the Dark Lord and in the meantime D'Argo and Aeryn have been frozen in time. Also very convenient writer's strategy to not have to deal with these two while Zhaan is performing her Darth Vader trick on Maldis, who has by now had enough of John's reluctance to kill Crais. Also, that dislocating and relocating of the shoulder..... OUTCH!!!

Zhaan saves John, who has been declared dead by Rygel ... what does he need John's boots for anyway? They don't fit his froggy feet.

Now that Zhaan's walked that dark path again, she has to come to terms it will always be part of her. It's going to be lurking in that corner in the back of her mind. Aeryn didn't seem phased she insulted Zhaan. D'Argo seems to better understand the full meaning of her insult, even if it wasn't meant as such. And john was like "Wow Zhaan... WTF?".

Overall, not a particularly bad episode, but I'm longing for the later episodes.

Any vidders out there: if you’re looking to not edit up all 90 episodes, this could be on the ‘don’t bother’ list.
                          Depends on what kind of vidder you are really. I let the music tell a story, so I don't look at episodes so much as I look at scenes I can use to tell that story. The music is key.

All I noticed was that he started with his orange jumpsuit on. Where did that go actually? I made a note mentally of how hot that thing must be and why on earth (or another planet) is he wearing that jumpsuit on this little field trip? The planet seemed really pretty tepid. And with Aeryn and her little crop tops, when the two of them are together and he has his Orange Jump suit on, he always seems over dressed.
                          I figured with his limited wardrobe he doesn't have much to choose from so he'll wear that jumpsuit when his pants is in the wash.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

@Blue...hope I can just call you Blue?
                            Sure thing I notice that everyone else seem to be a Lieutenant Colonel, General or something equally impressive… so as a Probie I think I have to pretty much answer to whatever you want to call me.

All I noticed was that he started with his orange jumpsuit on. Where did that go actually? I made a note mentally of how hot that thing must be and why on earth (or another planet) is he wearing that jumpsuit on this little field trip? The planet seemed really pretty tepid. And with Aeryn and her little crop tops, when the two of them are together and he has his Orange Jump suit on, he always seems over dressed.
                            Yep, in-universe it is a bit strange. But I think orange jumpsuit is a good decision production wise. It’s still early in the show's run and tells a new viewer flicking channels (and who might have missed the title music) that Crichton is a NASA astronaut(EDIT: sorry IASA astronaut) most likely from the present day… hence he’s clueless due to circumstances, rather than just being…slow…

Comment

@ jel - re: your comments on my comments about PK Tech Girl Sorry I'm too lazy to quote. But Yes I liked Zhaan's idea of telling the little white lie. You didn't get my clever little Good, Bad Ugly reference? Zhaan's "Little bit of bad" was in the bad portion of my review. Hence in this case bad is good. LOL I like that Zhaan has this deep down bad side. And soon when I do my review of That Old Black Magic we'll see alot more of that!
                              The Good, Bad, and Ugly is a little before my time. I wouldn't call it a bad side. Its a realistic side. Pacifism usually doesn't work for a reason.
                              @Bluemeany - and Jel to an extent. I think we may all have some slight disagreements about when we see the first sparks of the ship with Aeryn and John and that's ok. Suffice it to say for me I think there was some minor sparkage in the very first ep when he met her but it was quickly pushed to the back burner as I mentioned because John can't really pursue his curiousity about her because too much **** is going on. So yeah.....PK Tech Girl I think is the ep when it's more realized on screen. And it only goes on from here. YAY! Yes we will be insufferable and I will probably make the John/Aeryn vid now cuz my vidding is getting rusty and I need to do something this summer.
                              My line about how shippers see things that aren't there seems to apply here. I will concede on PK Tech Girl shipping. As for you viding, I don't care one way or another.
                              Thanks for the gif's ....mwhahahahahahahaha jel look out!! I'm armed and dangerous.
                              The poof room is ready
                              @Falcon Horus - *snort* You crack me up at how accurately succinct and humorous your reviews can be. Here I go on for days and you pop on and just put it right out there and it's hilarious!
                              You don't know how to do succinct. Some of your posts ramble on about something that can be covered in one or two sentences.
                              That Old Black Magic

Ok so here we go...the gang goes to the circus, Zhaan meets up with a drug dealing pimp *cough* priest and Crichton goes on a magical field trip. Seriously, I don't know what these writers are smokin but this ep was fun and you have to appreciate the diversity of the world they deliver in this ep.
                              Have you been sniffing rubber cement again? It was a market and it was more of a pharmacy than a drug dealer. I think the writers wanted to explore more of John and Crais and show how the latter was unable to listen to reason
                              Lesser of Two Evils....
                              I don't have a clever little way to break this down except for maybe by character again because this was a huge Zhaan ep and to jel's point up there (Ok I'll let him have this one) *sigh* but I too like Zhaan and it's interesting to note that her and Aeryn's character arcs are on opposite trajectories it seems. Aeryn is all about softening up and becoming less warrior like and Zhaan had to become less peaceable and more warrior like. I think it's all summed up at the end when Aeryn calls her a warrior and well Zhaan didn't like that so much. Then we see Zhaan's discussion with John admitting she was a "savage" in the past and she's worked hard to put that aside. Only to end the ep with a horrified John at the thoughts of "gee just what is Zhaan capable of?"
                              I usually organize by plot and let the character stories flow from there. I think you are missing a point about Zhaan. Its about keeping in control. If she lets go of control she could get psychotic. Zhaan suggests as much with her conversation to D'Argo about lesser of two evils. I think Rhapsody in Blue explains this in more detail. Its not about learning to be peaceful but not loseing control of your demons.
                              So I did really like the Zhaan bits. And especially when Aeryn and D'argo go about defaulting to their usual "weapon" of choice only to be shot down by Zhaan literally when she tells them quite calmly that their weapons will not work on this "magic". Aeryn's response was hilarious. "well then...by all means!".. or something to that nature. So for Aeryn and D'argo they sort of regressed back a bit again both of them choosing the rifle over any other methods.
                              D'Argo and Aeryn are warriors. In these earlier episode like many soldiers they don't know how to use anything but their weapons. I think Aeryn has trouble realizing her limits which is why she gives that sarcastic response.
                              As for the magic element, it doesn't bother me, what bothers me is if there was this kind of power in existence then why all the clamor from the PK's about
                              Spoiler:
                              what weapon they want that we know is in John's head later in the series.
                              That sorta seems tame by comparison in a sense. Why not just conjure up another one of these Maldis wizards and make him do your bidding. That is my issue with magic in any show as it can become too overpowered and then what do you do? How do you squelch that power and make it so it cannot be used over and over again? I think they solved that issue with Zhaan using her combined strength with the Hippie Priest, but I honestly think I heard Zhaan say he was just "dispersed" and he could conjure up again or something? I had to worry a bit about that a little.
                              To be fair
                              Spoiler:
                              wormhole weapons were primarly Scorpy's thing.
                              . I guess we have to ask is how common is power like Maldis. It seems like he is a rareity and most people's magic is about as strong as Zhaan. She couldn't fight a whole army
                              Fight and Flight
                              So this brings me to John and Crais. I really enjoyed it when they were finally able to come face to face. You gotta love John for trying to reason with Crais but then by the end when John is realizing he just will not be able to successfully do that as he's talking into his recorder, he notes that one of them will end up dead.
                              You would think John would have known after the pilot that Crais can't be reasoned. He is blinded with rage.
                              I don't have issue with their fight scenes. I think they looked pretty believable. Remember jel, Crais is alot older than Crichton and he's been in a higher command position so his hand to hand combat training is probably rusty. I think John, because he is younger and probably a lot more physically fit (astronauts go through alot of rigorous training...and well lets just say that he's been on the run since he's been with the team), so I would say that John could easily have one over on Crais.
                              One can't argue that John isn't physically fit. However he has no military training. He is not that older than John. Even if he is in command, Crais should be able to hold his own against a person who has no military fighting training.
                              But John doesn't want to fight Crais and he holds back...this proves to Johns disadvantage. My issue with the fighting is only when John's shoulder gets dislocated. That would pretty much be a devastating injury, one that would take a long time to heal and rehabilitate. I have injured my shoulder recently, not nearly as severe as that and I can say that it's dang painful and really limits range of motion and strength. So for John to bounce back from that injury so soon is highly unlikely.
                              We could probably make an argument for adrenaline kicking in and numbing the pain. Plus John wasn't really there. He was really getting his posessions stolen from Rygel.

I now Pronounce you DEAD

Rygel was being Rygel and I too liked the death ritual ....that he only performed so he could proceed to take John's stuff. LOL Then when John finally wakes that scene of John Not being in Kansas.....OMG that's it!! I could've used the whole Wizard of Oz theme for this review...oh well. John kissing Rygel.....gotta love it!
                              Classic Rygel. He is greedy and always stealing stuff that will make him look better. I liked the part where her tries to convince john of noble intentions.
                              All in all this ep was a fun, magic carpet ride in which you just had to go with it and enjoy where it was taking you and the characters. Another great one to help the characters grow and develop and gel more as a team.
                              I don't think I would call it a team episode. If anything it helped the crew understand Zhaan better.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

That Old Black Magic

Jelgate and SQ have both done detailed, insightful analyses of this episode above. My contribution is therefore going to focus on Ben Browder’s switch to a grey T-Shirt
                                Don't let that hinder you. SQ repeats stuff I say all the time mostly because we agree on things. Their will come a time we passionately disagree. I promise you this
                                I already have all the episodes queued up in my editing programme, so glancing down the list I can see that there’s a trend of: first third of season 1 = mainly white T-Shirt, middle third of season 1 (starting with this episode) = grey T-shirt, last third = black T-shirt.
                                I'm of a mind its just the wardrobe available. No hidden message. After all he eventually ditches his IASA clothes for more common clothes in the Uncharted Terrorties.
                                Y’all going to tell me I’m reading too much into it, but I think the costume department might be trying to reflect the arc Crichton undergoes. He comes to the realisation he’s gonna have to kill Crais in this episode… his morals ( and therefore his T-shirt colour) shift towards the darker end of the spectrum.
                                I do think you are reading too much into it. You would have to believe John is a lot deeper than he really is
                                Any vidders out there: if you’re looking to not edit up all 90 episodes, this could be on the ‘don’t bother’ list. Whilst it’s a fun episode to watch as a viewer, the moving shots are all a bit …samey… basically Crichton/ Crais fight sequences. Similarly, Zahn tackles the problem mostly with her mind and by being still. Probably not worth the trouble of ripping the whole episode.
                                Are you calling this episode boring? Those are fighting words
                                The exception to this is if you are doing a Crais video… but even then the footage of his family/backstory comes up again in a condensed form in Hidden Memory so it’s probably easier to just go and get that.
                                I think Crais is at his best in S3. But I am keeping spoilers to minimium.
                                My favourite bit is when D’Argo says ‘ It won’t work’ about Aeryn’s plan, and there is an immediate jump cut to Maldis saying ‘ It might work’.
                                I think the point of this is to show how magic still has limits and the laws of physics still apply

@Blue...hope I can just call you Blue? If not let me know.... I like how you always look at the ep from the vidders perspective. I hadn't even noticed John's t-shirt. All I noticed was that he started with his orange jumpsuit on. Where did that go actually? I made a note mentally of how hot that thing must be and why on earth (or another planet) is he wearing that jumpsuit on this little field trip? The planet seemed really pretty tepid. And with Aeryn and her little crop tops, when the two of them are together and he has his Orange Jump suit on, he always seems over dressed.
                                The spacesuit always seems out of place. It doesn't seem practical on an alien planet. Especially if Peacekeepers show up
                                I like that you caught the progressively darker t-shirt color...like you said...this could be a symbol for John slipping darker and darker down that rabbit hole and going just a little bit crazy. I do love the lighter (white tshirt) days of carefree fun loving John! Oh let's just hold on to these days for a little longer cuz soon....you're right he is gonna be smack dab into that dark path.
                                [/QUOTE]
                                If memory serves the first time I saw a glimpse of John going insane was mid season 2. The Princess trilogy. I personally don't believe the t-shirts mean anything. A cigar can just be a cigar
                                Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                That Old Black Magic

Sidenote: Every single time I see this title, the song starts playing in my head. It's weird. And to top it off, I see a smokey WWII era bar.
                                I kept on seeing Doc Brown on last Saturday's episode
                                Anyway...

Zhaan --
                                I know. It was awesome
                                This was another episode where I had more or less forgotten what it was about again, so Zhaan's darkness took me a little by surprise.
                                I have liked forgetting some episodes. It makes it fun to watch
                                It's a Zhaan episode. There's no going around that. Sure, John and Crais are having their heart-to-heart with the "help" of Maldis, and D'Argo and Aeryn are being complete knuckleheads. Rygel is conveniently left out of the picture, along with Moya and Pilot.
                                Agreed. I said something similar.
                                So, in search for a medicine to cure Rygel's flu or whatever it was he was suffering from, John goes and gets himself in trouble in a sort of dreamscape. He gets his wish to talk to Crais, whose only goal in life is to avenge his brother's death (the flashback to his father telling him to look after his brother explains his fierceness for the cause). I remembered he killed his second-in-command but couldn't remember when -- it was this episode. I don't understand, though, why. She was clearly loyal to him, fiercely so.
                                I love how no one cares about what happens to Rygel. I loved the flashback. As for the lieutenant, it was to keep the crew loyal to him. Without her, no one knows Command wants Crais to return. If the crew did find out, it increases the possibility of munity
                                D'Argo and Aeryn choose brute force to battle the problem, but have to admit defeat as Zhaan is the only one strong enough (with the help of the red priest) to go up against Maldis' power. However, the journey will take her down a dark path she clearly worked hard to leave behind. She can't even bring herself to hurt the two-headed bird (which as it screamed made one our cats look up from his sleep, wondering where the kittens were hiding). It's as if the pain she's inflicting upon the creature reflects right back to her. And then she turns her focus on Rygel when the dude asks her to. Not for a moment does she consider the implications of focusing her deathray on Rygel. It doesn't seem to cross her mind that he's a shipmate - someone who shared PK-imprisonment. She's only worried her mind won't be able to reach that far. WTF Zhaan! A little consideration... even if he's a whiner. He didn't deserve that (good thing John kisses it all better later ).
                                I attribute that to Zhaan's nature. She is a healer and a priestess. Causing pain goes against her peaceful way. That is why she is shaking when she harms Rygel or the bird. They have done nothing wrong.
                                As John and Crais are playing hide-and-seek, Zhaan is being prepared to become the Dark Lord and in the meantime D'Argo and Aeryn have been frozen in time. Also very convenient writer's strategy to not have to deal with these two while Zhaan is performing her Darth Vader trick on Maldis, who has by now had enough of John's reluctance to kill Crais. Also, that dislocating and relocating of the shoulder..... OUTCH!!!
                                That is one thing that is annoying about these early episodes. Getting rid of characters who have no impact. In later seasons everyone gets to do something no matter if the episode pertains to them or not. Well except Jool, but I hate her
                                Zhaan saves John, who has been declared dead by Rygel ... what does he need John's boots for anyway? They don't fit his froggy feet.
                                Knowing Rygel, he was probably planning to sell the boots for money
                                Now that Zhaan's walked that dark path again, she has to come to terms it will always be part of her. It's going to be lurking in that corner in the back of her mind. Aeryn didn't seem phased she insulted Zhaan. D'Argo seems to better understand the full meaning of her insult, even if it wasn't meant as such. And john was like "Wow Zhaan... WTF?".
                                Bear in mind, D'Argo has been a prisioner while Aeryn has not. He probably has had time to reflect and consider such ideals. He also has known her longer
                                Overall, not a particularly bad episode, but I'm longing for the later episodes.
                                Those are fighting words. Kidding as much as I like this episode I know their are better ones

Depends on what kind of vidder you are really. I let the music tell a story, so I don't look at episodes so much as I look at scenes I can use to tell that story. The music is key.
                                I believe you created all the Heightmeyer videos

I figured with his limited wardrobe he doesn't have much to choose from so he'll wear that jumpsuit when his pants is in the wash.
                                I was thinking something similar.
                                Sure thing I notice that everyone else seem to be a Lieutenant Colonel, General or something equally impressive… so as a Probie I think I have to pretty much answer to whatever you want to call me.
                                It helps to post in other places besides this thread

Yep, in-universe it is a bit strange. But I think orange jumpsuit is a good decision production wise. It’s still early in the show's run and tells a new viewer flicking channels (and who might have missed the title music) that Crichton is a NASA astronaut(EDIT: sorry IASA astronaut) most likely from the present day… hence he’s clueless due to circumstances, rather than just being…slow…
                                He is also slow though. I don't think its strange in universe. All he has are the clothes on his back. For now anyway.
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X