No announcement yet.

Prepare for Starburst: A Farscape Rewatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Gigi talking about the cast and the characters, and the puppets. And I remember she mentioned a problem with the pilot-set once in which there had been a little fire. And their response had been: "Is Pilot OK?"
    To them, the puppets were as much part of the cast and real characters as the actors. They nearly forgot the puppets weren't actual living breathing people.

Originally posted by Tom Bradford View Post
    As this serendipitously almost coincides with the voyage of this thread I hope I may be permitted to join it once I have caught up.
    The more, the merrier.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
      Second, everything is so bright! The later series get so dark, both in tone and in lighting. But scrolling down my clip gallery, the colours popping out are mainly blue, gold and orange.

Related to the above, pre-Scorpius Crichton looks very young and innocent. He’s actually expressing curiosity and wonder, the fool. That’ll change.
      I think this innocence we see in S1 is that sense of wonder since he is in this alien world. I'm trying to keep spoilers to minimium so we don't reveal things to our posters who have never watched the show but that changes. He gets hardened by his life in the Farscape universe
      Aeryn has me totally on her side from the line: ‘Ah yes (compassion), I know this feeling. I hate it’. This, and the bit later when she tries to stand up for Crichton, shows that she already has feelings of humanity (for want of a better word) inside her. And in her world, they are damn inconvenient and dangerous. And unlike for Crichton or Zahn (superficially the two most caring characters in series 1), she would never get thanked, praised or ‘paid back’ for the compassion. And yet she still has it.
      I have never been a big Aeryn fan. She is okay but never my favorite. I certainly wasn't won over at this point. Interesting analysis thinking she stood up John because of compassion. At this point I just thought it was duty
      I’ve edited up later TV series and this looks (CGI included) comparatively pretty good. Crichton’s module, Moya escaping and the ‘dump world’ they fly down to looks as good as anything in series 1, 2 or 3 of Doctor Who, which is a good six or seven years later.
      The CGI on Farscape is usually good. Just the part where Crichton first encounters Moya I think is bad
      Related to above: the camera moves As a fan vidder this makes me very happy. Not as much in this episode as later on but there are still way more zooms, pans and camera rolls than your average TV episode ( contemporary stuff included).
      [
      Mirroring blocking wot I noticed…. when Crichton grabs Aeryn’s arm, she turns defensively and he steps back and puts his hands up; there is an almost identical scene is almost the same place in Moya in Series 4 Episode ‘Twice Shy’. Not sure if it’s deliberate?
      That's a nice catch. I honestly have not been one to pay attention to cameras and filming techniques. Its not my thing. It works out well for the rewatch as we get people with different techniques
      My one quibble: Crais isn’t a particularly great baddie. Or rather, I don’t think his motivation for pursuing Crichton really adds much emotionally to the story. All Crichton can say (repeatedly) is ‘it was an accident’. Crais pretty much already knows this anyway. He can’t get evidence to convince him, or bargain with him or try and understand his point of view… there’s nowhere to develop it to.
      Farscape is primarily about emotion. I am not going into details but so much is the mixing of emotions from the diverse backgrouds. Double when they get new crew later on
      Okay so here’s my question to everyone, from the Premier, are there any signs of what Farscape is going to become? For me the give-aways are:

1.) The title music. It’s freaking weird. As a kid, it was the only thing about the show I found strange. Alien farting helium? Sure why not. Giant lobster Pilot: totally cool with. But 11 year old me thought the music was kind of warped. I think it’s the ‘Ah-ahhh-aahhhh-ah!’ bits.
      Yes the music for S1 and S2 is weird but I liked that. Its sets the tone for the show as well Farscape is weird a lot of times
      2.) The Characters: they’ve got good ones. Everyone feels real and developed, even the puppet. Always a good sign.
      The puppet characters are characters just as much as say D'Argo for example
      3.) Crichton’s closing line about ‘psychotic life and death in technicolour’. I love that description, and I think it’s what they are aiming for and what the show becomes.
      [/QUOTE]
      I call those Crichtonisms as he has a tendency to quote popular culture.
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Jelgate - your viewing order doesn't match my DVD order.
      Must keep a close eye on the titles or I'm going to mix them up at some point.
      I admit their is some confusion in the viewing order in S1. SciFI messed up back them so I went with the production order. The first time I watched Farscape I went with the American airing order and a few minor things were confusing.
      Farscape was never on TV in my part of the world so I wasn't so much aware of its existence until I was off to a convention in the UK where Gigi Edgley was going to be as well. By then Claudia Black had appeared on SG1 and since she was in Farscape also, we binge watched the show in order to be up to date. Loved it from the get-go, except for the intro theme... and that will never change.
      I don't think I watched Farscape until 2009 where I saw it on Netflix and SQ recommended it. And so I blame her for the obsession
      The pilot (not to be confused with Pilot the character):

Best line and gets me every single time: "You fart helium?!"
      Its a perfectly natural biological function. I also like where D'Argo says so your subjects tell you. I like where D'Argo calls Crichton a brain deficient organism
      I may have to agree with Jelgate that the pilot is confusing. There's a lot going on and little explained. It's almost like you're seeing it through the eyes of John Crighton himself. You're watching and discovering alongside him. Maybe that was the intention but it requires some patience which most audiences really don't have.
      Agree with this one for pilot. Its obvious we are seeing from John's eyes when we don't have a clue what Zhann and D'Argo are saying
      The CGI is okay for the time period. I really liked the design of Crais' carrier -- that almost WWII bomber airplane design.
      I think you can draw a lot of parallels between the Peackeepers and Nazism. Aeryn's irrversable contamination is similar to Jewish contact during the Holocaust
      Moya is a beautiful leviathan, inside and out. The sets must have been spectacular.
      I wasn't sold on Moya at this point. It took more episodes to appreciate the ship
      But what I enjoyed the most was the alien characters -- which are well and truly alien, and all the animatronics and alien-looking creatures.

And the DRD's -- definitely a project I would really like to do, to recreate a DRD-prop (preferably 1812, but a yellow one is fine too).
      A large part of that was the puppets. I know many people are hesitant to try this show because of puppets but that is what gave the show its alien feel.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
        Premiere
        As for me what I was impressed with is how great this show has held up over the years. But I got a chuckle at John's helmet and the total lack of science they used in his leaving the atmosphere, and well I even think that Rockne or someone maybe Brian Henson said that was one thing (the helmet) they wish they had really put more thought into. The other thing that felt a little off to me was the music score. After watching some epic shows like BSG and The Walking Dead with Bear McCreary I'm sort of spoiled and tend to notice a lack of good musical score. I think this show picks up better later once they get in the rhythm of things. (literally)
        I was thinking the same thing. What John hadn't been in oxygen atmosphere. He is on a spaceship at the start. What if he had to eject into space instead of Moya? He would be dead
        Like Jel I wasn't actually sold out of the gate on this show either. I think it was rather slow at first.
        S1 is good for giving their unique twist on classic scifi stories. And then Scorpious gets introduced...
        But here is what I loved about this first Episode:
        THEY ADDRESSED THE LANGUAGE BARRIER
        So many times this is never addressed in Sci Fi TV where alien languages are never really dealt with. They just sort of skip through this and assume that all life forms apparently speak English...so I loved the translator chip that was inserted by the DRD. Which brings me to my next point.
        The only other show he addresses language is Star Trek. And they are microbes SQ. But you are right (Don't get used to it)it is nice to come up with a reason for the language even if its far fetched.
        UNIQUE CHARACTER BONDING - DRD (Diagnostic Repair Droid)
        I loved the little bonding that John did with the DRD. This was something very small but is what set this show apart from other shows and really gave these actors a way to really flex their acting chops by way of emoting to a "puppet or droid such as a DRD". John befriended this little DRD who becomes quite special to him as he found a way to bond with it (repairing his broken antennae light) as well as realizing it was the one who injected him with the translator chip. Then once I saw Rygel interacting with the puppet as jel had described I knew this show was going to be interestingly creative. It took some getting use to at first I will be honest. I thought it was a bit like Sesame Street on Steroids or something but the way in which the actors really got into these little creatures really sold me on it.
        More than anything John fixing One Eye is about his character. His compassion as he told Aeryn. All of us who have seen the show know a big part of Farscape is how these characters form friendships on Moya.
        HUMOR and HUMAN PERSPECTIVE IN AN ALIEN WORLD
        I loved the way in which John sees this new world as both amazing and terrifying all at the same time. The funny bits (Rygel and the farting helium) and the "Freeze or I'll shoot you .....full of tiny little balls of light" was just another part of the charm of this show. I mean here is a human guy who is literally light years away from his home and he is realizing that the odds of him getting back home are probably very slim next to impossible and he is now traveling with a band of criminal aliens that want to pretty much kill him or eat him or something and he still manages to be funny and crack jokes. You gotta love it! This is about the time I fell in love with Ben Browder. His dry humor and quick wit only continues to get better as the show progresses. Not to mention just how great John and D'Argo play off one another. D'Argo has some hilarious lines too. Like the "From one warrior to another I'm going to hunt you down and kill you." I love D'argo's no nonsense tell it like it is quips set against John's soulful dramatic human responses.
        Agreed. Humor is what sold me on this show so much in the 1st season. I also kind of liked that rivalery we have between John and D'Argo in S1. They all have great one liners throughout the run
        OVERALL CREATIVENESS
        This show is quite possibly one of the most creative albeit bizarre shows from the Sci Fi genre in my opinion. Everything from make up and costuming (minus the big deduction in points from that god awful helmet) to the lighting(colors) and camera angles and creative blocking. I think it's a complete piece of art from start to finish. I think it was a fresh take on the living ship concept and how they created this whole new alien universe that is quite foreign and shockingly crazy in the beginning. As John said, "What's wrong with you people??!" So the concepts were very creative and different and I think it has really held up to the test of time.
        Overall I agree but by the pilot I don't think we were there with the fresh worlds and Moya in particular wasn't that great in this episode. It took time for me to warm up to the ship and see its alien feel.
        MOYA's UNIQUENESS AS A SHIP
        Finally I appreciated that they were able to make a good quality show (Moya was not capable of being an aggressor as she could only run or Starburst away as a defensive maneuver) which to me made it a fresh idea so it wasn't just another Space battle show like Star Wars. I liked that Moya wasn't a battleship that was heavily loaded with cannons and such. This was interesting and sort of put them in a vulnerable position and made them "use their heads" in order to think and out strategize their enemies. This was genius and I really loved watching John....get down on the floor and do his math in order to work through their problem. That to me speaks volumes for how we should handle conflict instead of just pushing a "torpedo launch button".
        I'm reminded of S1 episode where D'Argo wishes he had just one weapon. The lack of weapons I think is a big part why we got Talyn later on. I think your last part is a little idealistic. We only fire torpedos as a last resort

The more, the merrier.
        I too welcome anyone who wants to join. The only thing is that I caution vetern posters is we should keep spoilers to a minimium for the people who are watching this show for a first time
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          The only thing is that I caution vetern posters is we should keep spoilers to a minimium for the people who are watching this show for a first time
          That won't be an issue, as it seems I'm kindy rusty on the stories. The characters I could probably all name, without having to think too long, but the stories.... well, let's just say this rewatch comes at the right moment in time.

Comment

yes welcome all. I may post my thoughts on Ep2: I, ET soon as I have a Mother's Day gig I have to attend tonight. So I hope that is ok? I'll be gathering my thoughts on it soon to post those if so.
            Originally posted by jelgate
            This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

I, E.T.
              Lets cut the dren (I love Farscape lingo). The actual plot of the story is quite forgettable. We are all Stargate fans here and some of us are Star Trek fans as well. The heroes being marooned on an primitive alien world is nothing new to science fiction. Farscape has been known to make twists to those classic Farscape elements. I don't think this is one of those times. The whole point of this story is we are on a planet to help Moya remove a Peackeeper beacon. So if I don't like the story, then what sells this episode? This episode to me is how the characters interact in the plot. You have Crichton's innocence in trying to convince the alien mom and son about life and why he means them no harm. We see Zhaan and her overall compassion about how Pilot and Moya are doing and how she gives all her strength to try make Moya more comfortable. Her devotion to others is why Zhaan has always been my favorite. I think a key part about Aeryn is us seeing in this episode in how she is starting to let go of her Peacekeeper past. The way she tries to force Rygel to help and the way she berates D'Argo people. On the contrast you see Aeryn's growing compassion (I hope still doesn't hate it) in how she tries to help Zhaan take the pain. It shows the transition. Finally Rygel in his selfishness. It grows on you. Sometimes I can't stand the character. But for all his faults when his back is against the wall Rygel will do the best. He whines but when Rygel knows their is no choice we see him help cut out the beacon. Speaking of Moya, I know several earlier were talking about the beauty of the ship. I see it more in this episode as we get to see it as a living ship. The corridors of the ship don't really give the impression the ship is alive but when we get a closer up of Pilot's den or when Rygel is in the beacon we get that living feel which is always been the awe for me with Moya.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I tried to do a rewatch lately with my girlfriend. She has never seen it and I thought she would like it.

She tried, she really tried, but she just can't get through the first season. She also has trouble reconciling the puppetry.
                sigpic

Comment

I, ET

An episode with a plot I definitely didn't remember seeing those few times before, hence why I can say it's not very memorable.

The plot aside, John's comment about Dagobah didn't go right over my head, unlike the first few times. Zhaan revealing she's a 9th level Pa'u (whatever that means -- no further explanation given, more mysteries to unravel later) and takes on Moya's pain when Rygel -- Dominar Rygel the 16th -- removes the PK tech from the ships systems.

John's eye-twitch is only fun for so long, though. Rygel taking a bite out of Aeryn's arm... Seriously?! And he swallows that bit like a boss. If they hadn't had need for Rygel's size, Zhaan might have let Aeryn take a bite out of him.

Aeryn and D'Argo up in that tree -- *snort*
                  They have such low expectations about John. However, Aeryn was right when she would have to rescue both of them in less than an ahn (?), even if she was a little busy keeping Zhaan connected to Moya, reluctantly I might add, like she was touching something she shouldn't.

No real memorable best lines I can think of, though John's aftertought about his eye rolling out of its socket did coerce a chuckle out of me.

Comment

I E.T.

From watching them as a kid, this is the Farscape episode of which I had the clearest memory.

I have no idea why.

As Jelgate mentioned above, the plot is forgettable. And yet, my neurons favoured saving ‘I.ET’ rather than Year 7 trigonometry.

The set up kind of reminds me of that old 60’s show The Fugitive. Every week, Richard Kimble would stumble upon an innocent family (usually a widowed mother with a son), every week they would give him aid. He would help them in return. I hated that show.

My main puzzle with ‘I E.T’ is why it’s so early in the series run…

Episode one: shoot your ‘hero’ into a psychotic Technicolor universe of creatures and critters. Everything is totally different, alien. Episode two: strand him on Earth mark II (complete with mid-America humanoids). Why?

Later in the series, he could get real homesick about the similarities. But from the viewer’s perspective, he’s only been away in space for about 45 minutes.

The only thing I can think of is that it gives Crichton a lot of opportunity to show and directly say to Mom, Kid and the audience that he’s new to this all too. Maybe it’s exactly a Star Trek ‘let’s go down to this Earth-parallel world’ rip off to reinforce that this isn’t normal for Crichton. Unlike Kirk, he has no clue what he’s doing and is as confused as the audience is?

Or maybe it’s just a rip off

I still can’t figure out what’s going on with the translator microbes in this episode. If Mom and kid are from a world before first contact, how can they understand Crichton? I must have missed something...

Again, from an editor’s point of view there are some very nice shots, but not as much as the premier. For those that are interested in these things (*tumble weed blows through thread*) my reel of usable vidding footage for I.ET is 43 seconds…comparatively the Premier was about 1 minute 40. Lots of pans and zooms, although mainly on interiors. The exterior shots are still quite locked down. Oh, and Moya’s crash into the lake is good (CGI water is difficult I believe).

Comment

Oh, and Moya’s crash into the lake is good (CGI water is difficult I believe).
                      CG water is one of the hardest things to do, and it's only been in recent years where computing has gone up in capacity and speed, and the programs have been expanded, that CG-companies have been able to create realistic water.

It's quite literally still hit and miss.

Comment

I, ET

An episode with a plot I definitely didn't remember seeing those few times before, hence why I can say it's not very memorable.
                        Its not memorable. If we are going plot alone its pretty weak. Look how easy John and D'Argo returned to Moya. I stand by my belief its a character building episode which I can understand its needed in the early season
                        The plot aside, John's comment about Dagobah didn't go right over my head, unlike the first few times. Zhaan revealing she's a 9th level Pa'u (whatever that means -- no further explanation given, more mysteries to unravel later) and takes on Moya's pain when Rygel -- Dominar Rygel the 16th -- removes the PK tech from the ships systems.
                        I actually got annoyed by that Crichtonism. How in the frell are these aliens on the other side of the galaxy suppose to understand an Earth pop culture reference. I was never that confused about the Zhaan thing. I always thought it was in relation to her mystical energies when we saw her share Moya's pain
                        John's eye-twitch is only fun for so long, though. Rygel taking a bite out of Aeryn's arm... Seriously?! And he swallows that bit like a boss. If they hadn't had need for Rygel's size, Zhaan might have let Aeryn take a bite out of him.
                        Good thing the eye twitch was only in the opening scene. To me that is classic Rygel. When they challenge his selfishness, he just fights back. At this point I think Zhaan trusted Rygel more than Aeryn. She was their enemy.
                        Aeryn and D'Argo up in that tree -- *snort*
                        They have such low expectations about John. However, Aeryn was right when she would have to rescue both of them in less than an ahn (?), even if she was a little busy keeping Zhaan connected to Moya, reluctantly I might add, like she was touching something she shouldn't.
                        I love these early episodes where they think so lowly of Crichton because he lives on such a backward planet. I don't think I agree with you. The episode proves that she was not needed to rescue John since John rescued D'Argo. At this point I think no one realizes his value of John. I do think its stupid how John doesn't have a pulse pistol.
                        No real memorable best lines I can think of, though John's aftertought about his eye rolling out of its socket did coerce a chuckle out of me.
                        I liked Rygel's whinning about mud
                        I E.T.

From watching them as a kid, this is the Farscape episode of which I had the clearest memory.

I have no idea why.
                        I have no idea. Its one of the ones I forget the most. Although their are other I forget a lot. I can't stomach Taking the Stone for example.
                        As Jelgate mentioned above, the plot is forgettable. And yet, my neurons favoured saving ‘I.ET’ rather than Year 7 trigonometry.
                        I hated college trig with a passion. Especially the trig identities
                        The set up kind of reminds me of that old 60’s show The Fugitive. Every week, Richard Kimble would stumble upon an innocent family (usually a widowed mother with a son), every week they would give him aid. He would help them in return. I hated that show.
                        No comment as I have never seen this show.
                        My main puzzle with ‘I E.T’ is why it’s so early in the series run…

Episode one: shoot your ‘hero’ into a psychotic Technicolor universe of creatures and critters. Everything is totally different, alien. Episode two: strand him on Earth mark II (complete with mid-America humanoids). Why?
                        The Peackeeper beacon. It would make no sense for that beacon to be transmitting after episode 10. We would be asking, why didn't Crais catch him.
                        Later in the series, he could get real homesick about the similarities. But from the viewer’s perspective, he’s only been away in space for about 45 minutes.
                        I think Crichton get less homesick as the time goes on. He still misses Earth but at the same time he has grown attached to his friends.
                        The only thing I can think of is that it gives Crichton a lot of opportunity to show and directly say to Mom, Kid and the audience that he’s new to this all too. Maybe it’s exactly a Star Trek ‘let’s go down to this Earth-parallel world’ rip off to reinforce that this isn’t normal for Crichton. Unlike Kirk, he has no clue what he’s doing and is as confused as the audience is?

Or maybe it’s just a rip off
                        I hate the word rip-off. I think its a lazy excuse for fan to complain. Critcism is one thing but to call it a rip-off is lazy. In science fiction, most stories can be said where done in Star Trek. I do think your analysis is spot on. The whole Mom thing is to show the innocence in Crichton at this point. As I said in my review, I think this episode exists to build characters.
                        I still can’t figure out what’s going on with the translator microbes in this episode. If Mom and kid are from a world before first contact, how can they understand Crichton? I must have missed something...
                        Don't overthink it. The microbes are just a plot device to justify everyone speaking English.
                        Again, from an editor’s point of view there are some very nice shots, but not as much as the premier. For those that are interested in these things (*tumble weed blows through thread*) my reel of usable vidding footage for I.ET is 43 seconds…comparatively the Premier was about 1 minute 40. Lots of pans and zooms, although mainly on interiors. The exterior shots are still quite locked down. Oh, and Moya’s crash into the lake is good (CGI water is difficult I believe).
                        CG water is one of the hardest things to do, and it's only been in recent years where computing has gone up in capacity and speed, and the programs have been expanded, that CG-companies have been able to create realistic water.
                        I am by no means an expert when it comes to CGI but you notice how they gave us pictures from Moya's viewscreen of the crashing of the ship. I think it gives less CGI which is why it looks a lot better
                        It's quite literally still hit and miss. [/QUOTE]
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I,ET
                          Ok I'm doing this on my phone so this could be interesting. I agree with jel (someone write this down) . This ep was all about character development. We get more of johns quick wit and just before they go to planet I like the exchange he has with aeryn. She is working through her peacekeeper responsibilities and trying to find her place in this new group. I love johns response to her "join the club" at them both being homeless.

Here's what I especially loved about the episode:
                          Creative solutions
                          Once again I love how they are forced to think outside of the box with regard to the beacon. So they beached Moyà. This interesting solution gave them a unique opportunity to work together and we could learn more about these characters.

Mirrored earth world
                          This world gave a unique opportunity to share with the group a little slice of what Earth looks like. I think this was important so they could relate to John I loved d'argos comment to aeryn saying he is such a barbarian and then him asking if that bothered her. She promptly replied with no. I also loved John reference to Yoda with of course aeryn clueless. I love those moments.
                          Character development
                          Here is the meat of the episode. Again we see johns humor with the stun thing. His compassion for the mother and son. Although I almost cringed when he kissed her when leaving I had a bit of Kirk syndrome going on in my mind hoping they weren't going to pattern John after that space playboy like Kirk.

Zhaan's deep compassion and cool headed nature and finally we see aeryn starting to loosen up as well although the tension between Rygel and Aeryn is interesting. I have to admit I didn't remember that rivalry.
                          I loved how (as jel mentioned) you really get a feel for Moya and that living feel. And I had to giggle at the bone knife and what that was all about.
                          Builds the team
                          Finally we see the characters gelling as a team. Loved how John refused to leave without D and then the exchange that aeryn and D had about her having to come back for them. That established they were not willing to leave anyone behind.

All in all this ep was a great format to highlight great character moments. Which again is the reason why I love this show.
                          Last edited by squirrely1; 08 May 2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

Don't overthink it. The microbes are just a plot device to justify everyone speaking English.
                            Yeah you're right. And I can usually just go with the 'all species speak English'. It’s just odd for Farscape in that they do usually keep things consistent in-Universe, and they do reference how the translation actually works throughout the series.

Like in the later series 1 episode
                            Spoiler:
                            Human Reaction, Aeryn and Jack can’t understand each other and they have Crichton translating between in a very cool way.

Comment

It's quite literally still hit and miss.
                              Yes and fire as well

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                                I,ET
                                Ok I'm doing this on my phone so this could be interesting. I agree with jel (someone write this down) . This ep was all about character development. We get more of johns quick wit and just before they go to planet I like the exchange he has with aeryn. She is working through her peacekeeper responsibilities and trying to find her place in this new group. I love johns response to her "join the club" at them both being homeless.
                                Its only naturally you would agree with me. I am always right. I should of known you would focus on John and Aeryn you crazy shipper I said as much about Aeryn myself. She has lost her whole cultural identity.
                                Here's what I especially loved about the episode:
                                Creative solutions
                                Once again I love how they are forced to think outside of the box with regard to the beacon. So they beached Moyà. This interesting solution gave them a unique opportunity to work together and we could learn more about these characters.
                                Its hard to argue that Farscape goes outside the box. I disagree with your assessment of calling this a creative solution. The Moya solution is cut the device from Moya ( I don't want to know what the Tokkar knife is used for) and use a sedative to ease her pain. Its not creative. As we have said before, Farscape is a slow out of the gate

Mirrored earth world
                                This world gave a unique opportunity to share with the group a little slice of what Earth looks like. I think this was important so they could relate to John I loved d'argos comment to aeryn saying he is such a barbarian and then him asking if that bothered her. She promptly replied with no. I also loved John reference to Yoda with of course aeryn clueless. I love those moments.
                                I think its two folded. The like Earth is to reemphasized of how Crichton is homeless like the others. It also sets up the Aeryn and D'Argo in a tree scene. Which is hilarious by the way. At this point Aeryn considers D'Argo as a barbarian. Remember that snide comment she made about Luxans murdered innocent women and children. I found myself annoyed with John thinking others would understand his references
                                Character development
                                Here is the meat of the episode. Again we see johns humor with the stun thing. His compassion for the mother and son. Although I almost cringed when he kissed her when leaving I had a bit of Kirk syndrome going on in my mind hoping they weren't going to pattern John after that space playboy like Kirk.
                                I often wonder why he doesn't get a weapon in these early episodes like we see later on. The kiss scene was strange. I didn't see the point in that at all.
                                Zhaan's deep compassion and cool headed nature and finally we see aeryn starting to loosen up as well although the tension between Rygel and Aeryn is interesting. I have to admit I didn't remember that rivalry.
                                That is why I have always loved Zhaan. She is by no means weak but at the same she always puts others above everyone else. All she cares about is how Moya is doing. Zhaan always puts others first. As for Rygel, I just think its how everyone is at odds of him because of his selfishness.
                                I loved how (as jel mentioned) you really get a feel for Moya and that living feel. And I had to giggle at the bone knife and what that was all about.
                                I don't want to know what that knife is used for. If S1 has a theme pre-Scorpy its the exploration of Moya.
                                Builds the team
                                Finally we see the characters gelling as a team. Loved how John refused to leave without D and then the exchange that aeryn and D had about her having to come back for them. That established they were not willing to leave anyone behind.
                                Don't forget the tension. You can feel how since its early how that don't trust each. Especially Aeryn because she was their enemy. You ever think in these early episodes that part of the reason people look down on John is because he looks like a Sebeccean?
                                All in all this ep was a great format to highlight great character moments. Which again is the reason why I love this show.
                                I think it does a good job of characters and plot. The latter more after S1
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X