No announcement yet.

Worlds Finest (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. I don't see it as in any trying to focus on womens issues.. Not mens. Nor catered towards just women/men/teens/adults etc.. I see it as a somewhat comedic, action based superhero show..

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      Does it matter if it deals mainly with female issues in the first place? I mean men and women are still human whichever way round you are. Personally I don't even look at supergirl as a female orientated show. I simply see it as a good, fun superhero show.
      Same here. I find it enjoyable. I did really enjoy the episode with The Flash!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Does it matter if it deals mainly with female issues in the first place? I mean men and women are still human whichever way round you are. Personally I don't even look at supergirl as a female orientated show. I simply see it as a good, fun superhero show.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the show. I watch a youtuber reviewer who seems to bring that up every now and then in her reviews. Not entirely sure what to make out of it, thus the questions I asked.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

I wasn't complaining, just commenting, I'm far too old to be a demographic target audience member, if it's a good story, I'll watch it regardless.

Comment

Rewatched this tonight...
            This show is definitely targeting a female audience. If the target were male, they wouldn't have so much screen time spent on personal relationship issues, who likes who and such.

The bit at the end that sets up next week is a clincher. Kara/Supergirl kisses Olsen, and before she can get any feedback at all, his mind is taken over and he starts walking.
            If that point of suspense isn't targeting females, I don't know what is.

Comment

I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't brought up elsewhere. Probably. I wonder if they'll keep that aspect at the CW? Either way, the CW has enough cred in my book for me to think that even if they do keep slanting towards targeting a female audience, they'll do it well and I will continue to enjoy it (maybe even more so than season 1).
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying I don't like the series, I do. I just noted that it's targeted.

Comment

LOL @ the notion that romantic material in a show means the show must be aimed at a female audience. *snort*

How about, it's just a fun superhero show with a lot of content, diverse and fantastic (in every sense of the word). Its target audience, people who love comics, comedy, awesome characters, and well told stories.

Anyhow... World's Finest

One of the minor reasons I considered checking out Supergirl was this crossover with The Flash. I love that other show to pieces so of course, I would have watched this episode in the end anyway.

It starts off with Smythe being poked and prodded to find out how she's able to produce that earpiercing scream. The result is disappointing at best, so instead she goes to family and finds out she's cursed by a banshee. Okay... that's interesting.

The only way to master the curse is to kill the object of her anger -- darn it, Kara is done for.

Smythe blasts the "blond twig" out of the building and as she falls down, there's the Flash speeding into the picture and plucking her out of the air, running halfway the state to drop her off in the middle of nowhere. Not his intention, but it happened.

"Oh, you're on fire..." -- "Oh, no! Nope."

At which point they each discover the other's secret.
                  Several confusing questions later, we have Kara introduce Barry to James and Winn, and that has to be the geekiest we've seen Winn and Kara ever be in a scene.
                  Kara's face though when Barry runs out for icecream. Like a kid in a candystore. And the "You like donuts?" -- "I know a place."

But Cat has to stop them with the best line of the show:

"You look like the racially diverse, non-threatening cast of a CW show."

-- I SO LOVE CAT GRANT! Calista Flockhart is brilliant!

Anyway, back to the trouble at hand, Silver Banshee has found a partner in crime, Lifewire, and together they decide to kill Cat, Kara, Supergirl and the new hero in town, the Blur. Notwithstanding that at least two of those are the same person and are a little harder to get down. Cat has faith in Supergirl, something the rest of National City no longer has after her trip to the dark side.

Anyhow, the Flash and Supergirl battle together. They get beaten without the plan. Barry has a good point about having a good plan at hand, although 85% of punching is also fun if you go for brute force.

"Let's settle this as women!" -- "There are more of you."

In the end Silver Banshee and Lifewire are defeated, by the people of National City. Faith in Supergirl is restored. Barry finds a way to go home and all is well in the world again. Except, it isn't... Myriad commences! Makes for an awkward moment between Kara and James. Cause she's all about consent.

Missed Alex (she is my favorite) and Hank a little though.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    LOL @ the notion that romantic material in a show means the show must be aimed at a female audience. *snort*

How about, it's just a fun superhero show with a lot of content, diverse and fantastic (in every sense of the word). Its target audience, people who love comics, comedy, awesome characters, and well told stories.
                    Shows tend to target specific demographics by appealing to specific things. That's just a fact. That doesn't mean anything else beyond that. I mean, unless you want to claim that Vampyre Diaries is meant to attract both men and women equally? Or Gilmore Girls? For example, the animated show Young Justice was aimed at young boys (like 8-12 years old) but it ended up attracting older boys, adults, teenagers and girls. They weren't their target so the show was cancelled. It was an amazing show though, and it has recently been renewed for a new season .

Clone Wars would have also been cancelled a lot earlier for similar reasons (more teens and adults were watching it than the target audience, young boys) but it was part of a pop cultural giant therefore it lasted by sheer force of will. But yes, it's more than the relationships that made me think it's female oriented. I mean, Arrow has relationships in it too.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Shows tend to target specific demographics by appealing to specific things. That's just a fact.
                      That is indeed true, but I think the lines are being rewritten constantly. It's up to the companies to innovate and follow.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                      X