Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a series be possible after movie reboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could a series be possible after movie reboot?

As much as most of us want a Stargate TV series right now, we have had to realize that for the time being there isn't any.

Do you think, hope or pray that MGM will go forward with or consider a new Stargate series if the movie reboots are successful?

I don't see why not, Stargate is a insanely valuable & popular property that should not be allowed to collect dust.
    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
    End of line.

That depends imo on how well the reboot film does.. But whether us longtime fans go with it or not, is up in the air, especially if the new writers ignore the history of SG..

Comment

From what I read anything that happened in SG-1, SGA & SGU will not be honored. It will be a total reset.
      Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
      End of line.

Comment

Which to me and others is as much a turn off for any new film, as was the whole trek reboot, or how Force awakens ignoring all the EU novels was a turn off for many SW fans..

Comment

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
          As much as most of us want a Stargate TV series right now, we have had to realize that for the time being there isn't any.

Do you think, hope or pray that MGM will go forward with or consider a new Stargate series if the movie reboots are successful?

I don't see why not, Stargate is a insanely valuable & popular property that should not be allowed to collect dust.
          If the Reboots are popular, I see no reason why MGM would not consider a new series. The "problem" is, as an effectively new series, people will want the "look" of the reboot for a series for them to follow it (basically, they will want movie level production values).
          Take Agents of Shield for example. A.O.S arguably has a better story than anything presented in the movies, but no where near the amount of people watch it as would watch a "marvel blockbuster", and Agent Carter (which has a arguably better story than A.O.S) is considered kinda niche.

It's up to -us- as fans to a degree weather a new series becomes successful. I don't mean in a "make or break" degree in terms of ratings, but all the other things such as free marketing, "built in" fanbase etc etc, the things we actually can affect.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Would be nice if they make a movie and then a series in the same time. Make a A-team as a movie and B-team as a tv series that will fill and spoilt the second movie and then again one season of a tv series. 1 movie and 1 season tv show per year. But B-team have other stories to tell to that don't go with the A-team movies.
            sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
              Would be nice if they make a movie and then a series in the same time. Make a A-team as a movie and B-team as a tv series that will fill and spoilt the second movie and then again one season of a tv series. 1 movie and 1 season tv show per year. But B-team have other stories to tell to that don't go with the A-team movies.
              Agents of Shield style? No thanks.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              or how Force awakens ignoring all the EU novels was a turn off for many SW fans..
              I liked that a lot actually. The vast majority of SW fans are completely unaware of any form of EU (i didnt know it existed until a few years back). And it clearly didn't hurt it's success.

Comment

How can you say that, since the ones who read the EU novels which kept the SW fanbase alive.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  How can you say that, since the ones who read the EU novels which kept the SW fanbase alive.
                  The original Star Wars still gets quoted today. It would've lived without that EU audience.

Comment

I am sorry, I have no idea what or who EU is, but I have enjoyed all the Star Wars movies to date, including The Force Awakens.
                    But getting back to SG1, and reboots, an idea for an episode might be the Bermuda Triangle.
                    We had English History & King Arthur and Merlin, and Antartica & Atlantis.
                    Daniel Jackson said the Pyramids were built by aliens (& for the purposes of Stargate they were) so why shouldn't the Bermuda Triangle be a Statgate?
                    But in the Ga'ould days we sat through countless episodes of 'memories' rather than new stuff. And the Bermuda Triangle cries out to be included.
                    But then if we do get the canon from the TV series we have now moved on to Ori & beyond.
                    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Well, I think, unfortunately, it's the end of Stargate, at least as we know it. The actors/audience are both older and memories are short.. that means little perceived value for TPTB in bringing it back. I can't see the movie reboot keeping too much of the original story either, I'd be surprised if they even kept the Egyptian theme honestly.

Also, if they make a new movie in this day and age, there's only really a 50/50 chance whether it will be good or the usual Hollywood special effects garbage, and that's for a new modern audience.. for the current SG audience, it's more like a 25% chance that we will like it. I thought the new Star Wars was pretty poor to be honest, there was nothing that interested me and it felt like a poor mish-mash.. I'd rather just watch A New Hope for the nth time.

Let's see how the new Independence Day does though.. as Gateworld said it will be a pretty good indicator of what is to come.

Comment

As for the Star Trek/Wars references: I have been a Trekkie for over 30 years and I enjoyed the recent reboots even if they were different. And I've already watched the new Star Wars 7 several times.

When they reinvent the wheel (slight pun intended) with Stargate, I imagine that I will enjoy that too. Personally I'm happy that they are doing something, anything, new with this saga. If we get a new series out of it, I'll be even more happy.

If the original fans put it down too much then we will very likely never see anything new involving the concept of a Stargate. However, if everyone practices patience and gives it an honest chance then I'm certain it will improve enough in time that even old fans will come to accept it.

It would definitely be best if they continued from where they left off. But that's not going to happen. We shouldn't be too quick to judge it or we will lose it - and all future possibilities with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                          Personally I'm happy that they are doing something, anything, new with this saga. If we get a new series out of it, I'll be even more happy.
                          I'm pretty sure Emmerich's plans are partly responsible for the series not returning as is though. Joe Flanigan and his consortium were stopped from buying them out for a couple of years to do more Atlantis, not sure if that was due to Universe or the movie reboot though, possibly both.

If Emmerich's Stargate renewal sucks, well... I liked SGA and SGU individually, not just because they were Stargate.

Regarding Star Trek, I don't think two movies constitutes a successful reboot for what was originally a television series. Looking forward to see how the new series develops though!

Comment

I think it all comes down to how the script is. I think they said they were looking for a Trilogy here. Now this could mean the First Stargate is essentially just a reshot Stargate down to trip to Abydos and Ra arriving. I think they likely Would NOT kill him in the Reboot. They could have him escape.

I think they would keep the Cartouche Idea.. Makes sense within the scheme of the movie. I fully expect a Gutsy female character, an O'Neil, a Jackson.

Comment

Here's my 2 cents....I hope they keep the reboot for the films, as I assume they would like to make more than one based on this reboot version. That being said, for television, I don't see why change it and ignore the previous series. They would be more successful if they keep any new TV series as a continuation. Although SGU wasn't very successful and they decided to cut short SGA, I think fans would prefer any new series to acknowledge the previous series. I did have an idea about a new series taking place back at Atlantis, which is back in the Pegasus Galaxy, where a mission is put together to search for the Destiny. This can be done by gate from one plant to another following the path of the seed gate ship or having the the Earth build a new ship that is a combination of Asgard and Ancient technology (from what they got from the Ancient database on Atlantis). Now I know using a ship would make using a Stargate unnecessary and take away from the use of what the show is suppose to be about, but the Stargates would be used to to gate back and forward for supplies. Meaning the ship could not sustain itself for a long trip without support, so the ship would go to a planet with a gate and gate back to Atlantis or vice-verses for new crew and supplies. Another could be that like Atlantis, the ship would have a Stargate onboard and the enough power to use it to gate to long distances. Thus while the ship goes further and further into space they can still gate people back and forward to Atlantis or Earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X