Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot - Trailer & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot - Trailer & Discussion

So. The first *real* look at the new Ghostbusters film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I'm finding myself in an awkward situation. The trailer is undeniably good, and it actually looks like a really fun film. I've never had a problem with the idea of a female line up, so that's not an issue.
    However, almost teasingly, the reference to the original films at the start of this trailer really makes it clear why I'm struggling to look forward to this film. It's *not* MY Ghostbusters.
    The GB franchise was my first true fandom, my first geek passion... it has a very special place in my heart. Replacing it, even with a quality reboot, is deeply upsetting.

That aside, I will go see the film, and I really hope to enjoy it. Most of cast look like they'll bring something really brilliant to the film - though I'll confess I'm not yet sold on the 'Patty' character (the subway worker). I've not seen the actress' previous work, but in this she appears to be portraying the 'loud and stupid' stereotype, which I think we could have done without. 'The power of patty compels you' really doesn't fill me with much confidence. She's clearly the Winston Zeddemore 'reboot', not for issues of ethnicity, but for being the 'every day' non-scientist team member. In all honesty, I much preferred Hudson's approach to a down to earth character than we're being give here. That said, the other cast members look like they're doing a good job of combining brains and eccentricity, and I'll admit - the engineer looks like an intriguing character in herself.

So I guess we'll wait and see. But don't be surprised if I retreat to my television straight after the film, binge watch the original two movies, play the xbox video game and put the cartoon series on repeat....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

undeniably good, I thought it was a bit crap to be honest and it certainly not the kind of comedy/action mashup I like. An it a genre I generally do like to some extent, the Kingsman and Men In Black, Red/Red2, I enjoy the previous 2 Ghostbusters for example. I tend to like the ones that more action than comedy through.

This trailer really didn't stir anything up in me. An the kinds of jokes they are telling in the trailer put me off seeing the film.
    Last edited by knowles2; 03 March 2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      So. The first *real* look at the new Ghostbusters film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I'm finding myself in an awkward situation. The trailer is undeniably good, and it actually looks like a really fun film. I've never had a problem with the idea of a female line up, so that's not an issue.
      However, almost teasingly, the reference to the original films at the start of this trailer really makes it clear why I'm struggling to look forward to this film. It's *not* MY Ghostbusters.
      The GB franchise was my first true fandom, my first geek passion... it has a very special place in my heart. Replacing it, even with a quality reboot, is deeply upsetting.
      Unlike you i initially DID have an issue with the all female line up, especially with Ms Melinda Mccarthy, who i have never really seen as having any actual talent, but just fills a nitch.
      BUT i was actually surprised how good the trailer was as well..

That aside, I will go see the film, and I really hope to enjoy it. Most of cast look like they'll bring something really brilliant to the film - though I'll confess I'm not yet sold on the 'Patty' character (the subway worker). I've not seen the actress' previous work, but in this she appears to be portraying the 'loud and stupid' stereotype, which I think we could have done without. 'The power of patty compels you' really doesn't fill me with much confidence.
      I agree. Looking at her character from the preview, it seems more she's there for comic relief (and other stuff which i won't say)..

She's clearly the Winston Zeddemore 'reboot', not for issues of ethnicity, but for being the 'every day' non-scientist team member. In all honesty, I much preferred Hudson's approach to a down to earth character than we're being give here. That said, the other cast members look like they're doing a good job of combining brains and eccentricity, and I'll admit - the engineer looks like an intriguing character in herself.
      That is what i liked about Winston as well.. How he seemed to be down to earth compared to the other 3.. But this gal, looks/sounds a lot different.

As for me, i will more than likely see it, but not in theaters.

Comment

After watching the trailer, I have to say I did not like it at all. I will probably wait for the Bluray or untill it is on Netflix but I am not excited about it. The characters seems not interesting enough and the story is not just that good, at least what the trailer is letting us now about, but still I will be open about it and will watch it at some point.
        sigpic

Comment

That trailer.... Well, as the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say...
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I didnt like it, terrible, i do not like the female line up and it doesnt seem funny, i will however wait for another trailer to see if it shows more, tho i doubt it
            sigpic

Comment

As a friend and I recently discussed, I think this highlights how poorly ethnic representation in Hollywood has come on...

In 1984 the team consisted of three middle class white geniuses and one everyday working class black man.

30 years later we have three middle class white geniuses and one everyday working class black woman.

In thirty years we've worked out that women can be action heroes but not that people that aren't white can do anything other than be the muscle. I think it's a little disappointing that the writers didn't look to go beyond just recreating the ethnic line up of the original film. Even worse, the original Winston Zeddemore was never a caricature, Patty seems to be a Hollywood one-size fits all stereotype which gets trooped out for so many comedies. I find this very disappointing. As my friend said, considering some of the finest and most publically known scientists are black, why is Hollywood still relegating black characters to such awful tropes?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I too have fond memories of the original as the movie my daughter absolutely loved from the moment she was old enough to enjoy it. She caught her mother's obsession with the original 1985 movie!

She insisted on a 'Ghostbusters II' cake for her 3rd birthday which I had great fun making and decorating for her. She wore her Ghostbusters shorts and T Shirt outfit constantly! The Ghostbusters theme tune was played often in our house for many years afterwards! I loved the whole soundtrack and still have the cassette tape that I found recently when I was looking for something else! I don't have a cassette player anymore though! We wore out the VHS tape of both movies from playing them, aahhh the memories! I can rewatch the original countless times. Loved the cartoon version too, the only cartoon I enjoyed sitting down to watch with my kids!

I won't be watching this reboot as I have the same feeling about this movie as I did with the remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', nothing can ever be better than the original!

Comment

I saw the trailer.... I just... no..... just no

Comment

A fan added the original music to the trailer, what do you think ?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that will be a "wait for Netflix" movie.
                      Frankly, I think it's a foolish attempt. The original was so good I doubt it's possible to better it.

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                        A fan added the original music to the trailer, what do you think ?

It looks better...but note that they also cut 2/3 of the trailer content (2:37 vs 0:51). The power of editing is amazing.

But since Melissa McCarthy is still about as funny as a funeral....
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So if they just play the music and show us some spooks, and thats it, it will pass I do not give this film much hope
                          sigpic

Comment

As a friend and I recently discussed, I think this highlights how poorly ethnic representation in Hollywood has come on...

In 1984 the team consisted of three middle class white geniuses and one everyday working class black man.

30 years later we have three middle class white geniuses and one everyday working class black woman.

In thirty years we've worked out that women can be action heroes but not that people that aren't white can do anything other than be the muscle. I think it's a little disappointing that the writers didn't look to go beyond just recreating the ethnic line up of the original film. Even worse, the original Winston Zeddemore was never a caricature, Patty seems to be a Hollywood one-size fits all stereotype which gets trooped out for so many comedies. I find this very disappointing. As my friend said, considering some of the finest and most publically known scientists are black, why is Hollywood still relegating black characters to such awful tropes?
                            Agreed. It would have been fun to have seen it say be two gals, two guys. One white, one asian, one latino and one black..

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                              So if they just play the music and show us some spooks, and thats it, it will pass I do not give this film much hope
                              Scrapped of the bottom of the barrel pass, if it was one of them exams where the past mark is 35, the trailer would get 35.

Comment

Working...
                              X