Page 2 of 9788 FirstFirst 1234512521025021002 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 195758
  1. #21
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    i think that's close enough

  2. #22
    Second Lieutenant smallgirl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire,England.
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    I typed a whole massive post and it got wiped, I hate it when that happens
    Now I need to try and remember what I put.grrrr!

    I love it when a character gets whumped physically as with Shep in 'The Defiant One' and you see them relying on their inner strength to see them through when physically they are just about spent. I also love when they are emotionally whumped and you see the outward changes that take place as they turn to whatever reserves they have left to see them through to the bitter end. I have become increasingly more and more impressed throughout the recent SGA episodes with the character progression of Sheppard. It is partly due to consistent writing but a lot I think is due to Joe's fine acting because we are seeing a change in Sheppard due to the strain he is under. He is becoming both more vulnerable and yet harder at the same time. In 'Letters from Pegasus' he was quite harsh, cold and distant at times and in 'The Gift' which I watched for the first time tonight, he was even more so. In the earlier part of the season when Sheppard was being snarky, there were usually two sides to it, the playful side where he was geniunely having fun with a situation and the harder edge to it if the situation was tense where he was revealing what he was really feeling. The snark has decreased recently and when it does happen, the playful side is virtually redundant and his quips comes across as rather brutal. Sheppard is like a computer whose hard drive has overloaded and he is systemically shutting down the less important functions in order to direct the remaining energy to what's most vital.

    It was said when SGA began that O'Neill and Sheppard were alike because of the humour. It became apparent early on that there were a lot of differences but the way their characters respond to whumping is a big indicator of their differences. When O'Neill is 'up against it' he brings out the full snark cannon both as a defensive mechanism to deflect attention away from how he really feels and because offence is the best defence in his book. Sheppard however raises the drawbridge and goes into a kind of seige mentality. He's not going to waste energy or time on snark or anything for that matter because he's focussing on survival. I prefer Sheppard's way of handling things, it feels more real and human.
    ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
    FBI - Body Preservation Division

    http://www.boomspeed.com/smallgirl/SGA_JF2

  3. #23
    Captain Buggy542's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Snowed under
    Posts
    1,971

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Oh dear... I thought you guys were kidding when you suggested making a new thread!

    I didn't even notice it, cuz I've been using My Controls to navigate through GW - I only just clicked New Posts, and this pops up.

    Anyway, I support whumping!
    Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
    Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

  4. #24
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    wow!!!

    EXCELLENT analysis, smallgirl fabulous!! i agree 100%!!! *goes to pass some green smallgirl's way...*

  5. #25
    Lieutenant Colonel Osiris-RA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over There.
    Posts
    3,344

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Okay, time to add another computer slang word to my collection.
    What does "Whump" mean?

  6. #26
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    most simply...

    whump: physical or emotional damage

  7. #27
    Lieutenant Colonel Osiris-RA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over There.
    Posts
    3,344

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Ahhh .. thank you.

    *backs away slowly ..*


  8. #28
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    we scare ya off or something???

  9. #29
    Lieutenant Colonel Osiris-RA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over There.
    Posts
    3,344

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    No, no, just ... observing from a safe distance - I mean ... it's all very interesting ... I think.

    Carry on.


    Edit: Actually, I do like seeing Shep get his keister kicked. especially by a girl. hehe.

  10. #30
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    lol... so ya must have liked hot zone...

    feel free to watch from a distance... shep whumping is great from any distance

  11. #31
    Lieutenant Colonel Salty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,435

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by mtee1958

    Our hero, be he a Major or an archeologist, gets whumped and our heart goes thud! The one thing we don't get enough of are the final scenes, the recuperation scenes. That's where all those great authors come in handy. I wish we could see more of that part. 38 Mins. gave us a good tag, but usually they get rescued and that's it. I would like to see the pain/angst of the recovery process as well.

    Agreed!! At least we got a tag after 38 Minutes. In The Defiant One, I find it hard to believe that he got up and walked away with barely a grimace. There should have been some damage done and it would have been nice to have gotten some sadistic thrill over seeing the pain I guess that's what we have fanfic writers for After all, our heros are only human!

  12. #32
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    Agreed!! At least we got a tag after 38 Minutes. In The Defiant One, I find it hard to believe that he got up and walked away with barely a grimace. There should have been some damage done and it would have been nice to have gotten some sadistic thrill over seeing the pain I guess that's what we have fanfic writers for After all, our heros are only human!
    DEFIANT ONE really should have been a 2 parter. They could have done a whole second hour dealing with John's injuries and the reality of Gaul's death. BOth guys needed to deal with it and John could have helped Rodney with Gaul and his own guilt would have come into play, and all the while he would have been trying to avoid the infirmary. We NEED to SEE SHeppard and Carson interaction over Shep's injuries. NEED NEED NEED! LOL

  13. #33
    Lieutenant Colonel Salty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,435

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    And this is why we have fanfics! Maybe TPTB need to hire a few fanfic writers Or at least have a suggestion box we can stuff

  14. #34
    Staff Sergeant mtee1958's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    True Salty -there are alot of fabulous fanfic writers out there who have the characters nailed in both dialogue and dimension. You know the screen writers are aware of us - ala Citizen Joe (last week's Stargate ep) -- so maybe we will see more tag scenes dealing with this.

  15. #35
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    indeed.... SOME fanfic-ers have the characters down REALLY WELL!!! others don't, but well that gives us more options anyway

    they really do need more whumping "aftermath" on the show!! and i concur with needing more after the defiant one!! mckay got an emotional whumping and shep got a physical whump BIG time.... poor guy...

  16. #36
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by emily_reich
    indeed.... SOME fanfic-ers have the characters down REALLY WELL!!! others don't, but well that gives us more options anyway

    they really do need more whumping "aftermath" on the show!! and i concur with needing more after the defiant one!! mckay got an emotional whumping and shep got a physical whump BIG time.... poor guy...
    I love the fanfic. As a writer I admit to WHUMPING Shep in pretty much every fic I've written. He's just made for it. Physically and emotionally.
    I have to say the emotional WHUMP is starting to kick in in the last few eps for sure. It's breaking my heart and that's because of Joe. He's just giving Shep all the layers that the writers aren't giving us. LOL

    And Joe/Shep are just perfect for Whumping of both the physical and the emotional kind. He just has this vulnerability to him. His beauty adds to the overall effect. Yet he's just relentless when he gets whumped. It's watching the struggle and watching him NEVER give up that draws me to the whumping. Regardless of whether it's physical or emotional. THat's why I adore 38 minutes. IT was both.

    And at the end of DEFIANT, Shep did the right thing after Rodney told him Gaul didn't make it. They were both worn out and it was not the time to deal with it. THat's why they SO needed another hour. Just to deal with Shep's injuries. And for both men to deal with what had happened. Shep suffered the loss as much as Rodney. As the team leader you know he feels every loss as his own.

  17. #37
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,687

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    see, why is everyone so much more articulate than i am

    yes exactly!!! it's that vulnerability that joe brings to the role that really makes it WORTH it (quite frankly) to have shep whumped... you can see him never give up and always try to keep that outward friendliness and security while you can tell he's wearing down slowly on the inside and it gets harder every time... he seems to me (especially as he seems very alone and private about most of his feelings and doesn't seem to let that many people get very close to him) like the kind of character that's headed for a breakdown... many characters have breakdowns and it just doesn't work sometimes... but i think shep is one character that it would fit very well and would truly be moving emotionally to see him breakdown when no one is there to see him....

  18. #38
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Last night I rewatched what I think is the major Shep whumping episode: 38 Minutes. Everytime he grimaces in pain, I want to hug him to pieces!

    At the end, when he's been revived and is in the infirmary -- you can see the outline of his legs under the blanket -- IS HE WEARING ANYTHING BEYOND THE TOP??!! My fingers were itching to yank away the blanket!

  19. #39
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by emily_reich
    see, why is everyone so much more articulate than i am

    yes exactly!!! it's that vulnerability that joe brings to the role that really makes it WORTH it (quite frankly) to have shep whumped... you can see him never give up and always try to keep that outward friendliness and security while you can tell he's wearing down slowly on the inside and it gets harder every time... he seems to me (especially as he seems very alone and private about most of his feelings and doesn't seem to let that many people get very close to him) like the kind of character that's headed for a breakdown... many characters have breakdowns and it just doesn't work sometimes... but i think shep is one character that it would fit very well and would truly be moving emotionally to see him breakdown when no one is there to see him....

    That's it exactly. In some fanfic characters are whumped or have breakdowns that just don't work for me. It's NOT the character. Fanfic is so you can write what you'll never get to see, but it should still be IN Character for the character. I should still hear the character's voice when I read it, or write it.

    Shep is prime for a breakdown. I know alot of Rodney lovers love to write Rodney that way. But I don't see it. He verbalizes everything. He's getting HELP for what's stressing him <Future ep> He deals with things in his own way. He's alot tougher emotionally than people seem to want him to be.

    So is Shep. But Shep doesn't share things. Doesn't talk about them. Doesn't get help. And he's suffered the most. He is so carrying the guilt of Sumner's deaht. Of waking the Wraith. He's the one guy who didn't even know what a STARGATE was until he stepped through it. And now he has all theses LIVES, not just the Atlanteans, resting on HIS shoulders. And he's a very passionate/caring man. He's the first one at the side of a fallen comrade. You can see Sheppard wearing down and starting to crack a bit in the last few eps. IT's beautiful and painful to watch.

    I want the show to do an ep to SHOW this happening, but of course Sheppard will fight it all the way and win. And that would be fantastic to watch because of Joe.

  20. #40
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin7
    That's it exactly. In some fanfic characters are whumped or have breakdowns that just don't work for me. It's NOT the character. Fanfic is so you can write what you'll never get to see, but it should still be IN Character for the character. I should still hear the character's voice when I read it, or write it.

    Shep is prime for a breakdown. I know alot of Rodney lovers love to write Rodney that way. But I don't see it. He verbalizes everything. He's getting HELP for what's stressing him <Future ep> He deals with things in his own way. He's alot tougher emotionally than people seem to want him to be.

    So is Shep. But Shep doesn't share things. Doesn't talk about them. Doesn't get help. And he's suffered the most. He is so carrying the guilt of Sumner's deaht. Of waking the Wraith. He's the one guy who didn't even know what a STARGATE was until he stepped through it. And now he has all theses LIVES, not just the Atlanteans, resting on HIS shoulders. And he's a very passionate/caring man. He's the first one at the side of a fallen comrade. You can see Sheppard wearing down and starting to crack a bit in the last few eps. IT's beautiful and painful to watch.

    I want the show to do an ep to SHOW this happening, but of course Sheppard will fight it all the way and win. And that would be fantastic to watch because of Joe.
    I agree with you Merlin.

    I really would like to know why Shep was all by himself when he was deciding whether to go on the expedition in Rising. Shep's bio states that his father is a respected Cold War general. Is his father so distant that Shep can't bring up that he is going away, possibly forever? When Shep was disciplined for disobeying orders in Afghanistan, did his father maybe not want to talk to him because of what he did? What was his father like when Shep was growing up? If he was a real disciplinarian, maybe that is why Shep distrusts authority.

    I think maybe because of his childhood, that's why Shep doesn't share things. [Random thought: wonder if Shep's mother is still alive?]

Page 2 of 9788 FirstFirst 1234512521025021002 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. John Sheppard
    By Mulder1975 in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: February 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM
  2. John Sheppard
    By DakotaWoman2 in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 13th, 2008, 04:53 AM
  3. John Sheppard Can't Win
    By KindlyKeller in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
  4. Why John Sheppard has his name
    By nadie4ever in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 31st, 2007, 07:24 AM
  5. John Sheppard
    By BrendaSprung in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •