Page 1 of 9788 123411511015011001 ... LastLast

Sheppard John Sheppard Whump

Okay, so we have Jack whumping and Daniel whumping. Now it's Sheppard's turn

Any fans out there? Show of hands? Anyone else get those tummy flips when Shep gets hurt? 38 Minutes and The Defiant One rank at the top of my fave ep list.

Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...

Default Re: Shep Whumping

*raises hand* yup!! i'm here!!

like i said, i love the character development we get when our favorite characters get whumped...

i admit, i'm more a fan of emotional whumping myself, but i'll fess up to being a fan of physical whumping as well... for some reason i've always liked my fave guys to get hurt... and not JUST cuz it makes them the center of attention i feel a bit sadistic saying that, but i have to cop to it!!!

Not my thing to be honest but I cna understand why some people are in to it.

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

So, when our fav guys get "whumped" rather badly. . they need a good nurse. .right?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

lol.... well not to turn this into another thunk thread or anything, but...

ya know, i think along those lines, whumping often coincides with 'shipping... i've seen MUCH whumping in 'ship fanfic!!! our poor whumped guys need some help getting through it, ya know...

just an observation

I always thought I was odd that I would get that little thrill when my guy got hurt. It wasn't until I found TV fandoms on the 'net and found there was actually a name for it and realized others feel the same way. I get that tummy flip and the cold sweat when hurt is inflicted. And gimme physical hurt, not emotional stuff. Imagine my thrill that 3 eps into Atlantis I got to enjoy a totally Shep whumping ep!! And he was AWESOME!

I'm hoping Season 2 gives us lots of whump! Shep whump please.

well i guess we're at different places on the whumping scale... gimme emotional whumping any day!!

but still, there IS that little thrill when they REALLY get whumped (aka physical whumpage!!) i thought i was just really strange until now... i've thought upwhumping stories for my fave guys for nearly 10 years now!! (ok, prob'ly massively embarrasing myself there, but whatever... ...seriously feelin weird right now....)

Captain lionel_pendergast_rocks's Avatar

ok, im ignorant, but i just to make sure before i think about posting anything, to get whumped is to get hurt, right? don't laugh at me. no. dont laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
    ok, im ignorant, but i just to make sure before i think about posting anything, to get whumped is to get hurt, right? don't laugh at me. no. dont laugh.
    You are correct, young Padawan. There is hope for you yet.

Captain lionel_pendergast_rocks's Avatar

thank you, master.

well, in that case, i say sheppard needs some 'whumping', but Mckay needs a good smack sometime. he might be cool, but he's damn arrogant. and i agree that sheppard got whumped good in the defiant one.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
    well, in that case, i say sheppard needs some 'whumping', but Mckay needs a good smack sometime. he might be cool, but he's damn arrogant. and i agree that sheppard got whumped good in the defiant one.

McKay definitely needs a good smack every now and then!

Ah -- to distinquish a good smack vs. a whump. Sometimes Rodney needs the good smack (as mentioned before) but we love when Shep gets whumped!

The "thrill" , for me, is to finally "see" the feelings the other characters have for our guy. You get to see the concern they feel. Sometimes you get to see our guy show how brave he is --- don't worry about me kind of thing. The team first, my injuries later. Hurt me, not my team.

Our hero, be he a Major or an archeologist, gets whumped and our heart goes thud! The one thing we don't get enough of are the final scenes, the recuperation scenes. That's where all those great authors come in handy. I wish we could see more of that part. 38 Mins. gave us a good tag, but usually they get rescued and that's it. I would like to see the pain/angst of the recovery process as well.

I'm a WHUMP Whore. Yep. I like the physical and the emotional whumping. I l love watching my fave guy <Shep in this case> Dealing with both.
    In 38 minutes, his pain was so viable <Kudos to Joe cause god it seemed so REAL> Yet it was awesome to watch him still being strong and in control. Still being the leader as much as he could. Keeping everyone focused.

And in DEFIANT..it was a measure of how strong he is. He was a bit bent by the end, but he didn't break. Sheppard will never give up.

The last few eps of the season show the emotional wear and tear on him and it's an amazing/insightful thing to watch as well.

GO JOE!

Quote Originally Posted by mtee1958
    Ah -- to distinquish a good smack vs. a whump. Sometimes Rodney needs the good smack (as mentioned before) but we love when Shep gets whumped!

The "thrill" , for me, is to finally "see" the feelings the other characters have for our guy. You get to see the concern they feel. Sometimes you get to see our guy show how brave he is --- don't worry about me kind of thing. The team first, my injuries later. Hurt me, not my team.

Our hero, be he a Major or an archeologist, gets whumped and our heart goes thud! The one thing we don't get enough of are the final scenes, the recuperation scenes. That's where all those great authors come in handy. I wish we could see more of that part. 38 Mins. gave us a good tag, but usually they get rescued and that's it. I would like to see the pain/angst of the recovery process as well.
    My sentiments exactly, on everything you said. I love whumping, too. Especially on Jack and on Shep. I thought it was weird, too, but felt better when I discovered wonderful fanfiction.

38 Minutes and The Defiant One rocked! One thing I don't like about TV/Film is that most times when someone gets hurt, they get better WAY too fast.
    SPOILERS-HIGHLIGHT TO READ: Atleast in 38 Minutes there were repercussions, he almost died--er, well... he did die, they just almost couldn't get him back I didn't like in The Defiant One, Shep just got up at the end and he and McKay walked to the Jumper. After he got knocked a good fifteen feet or more TWICE, you'd think there would be some difficulty gettin' around. Oh, well. I did find a great fic that took off where that ep ended and took care of that little problem for me.
    Last edited by Zelazny; February 22nd, 2005 at 12:46 PM.

First Lieutenant

I love Shep getting whumped!! Especially the physical whumped. I loved 38 minutes and The Defiant One. In 38 Minutes, when he tells Ford, "Please don't do that again!" I just wanted to hug him to pieces. In The Defiant One, at the end, I wanted to put him the bathtub and clean him up [and tape up his ribs]!

I also like the emotional whump. In Sanctuary, when Shep goes to help Chaya defend her people, she tells him to leave and she'll take care of it. He watches her fade out, and when he turns back he looks like he wants to cry or something. It broke my heart.

Joe is so good at expressing emotions. It seems so real. I can't wait until The Siege 1 & 2 - everyone who's seen the eps says that he seems weary.

There is something intriging about "whumping". I never miss an episode of my fav shows when I know there is a good whumping coming up. Maybe it has to do with making the hero more "human" and less perfect. Maybe it just brings out the "nurturing" side of us.

Whatever it is. . .it does make us watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mtee1958

wow... you definately nailed it!!! i too wish we could see more of the reaction of the people around him (shep in this case ) during his recovery, which SHOULD be much longer... i somtimes wish they would make someone who's whumped bad in one ep sit the next one out so we could see people coming in and caring for them intermixed with that next episode...

and FP, you are definately right!!! i know i always tune in when it looks like there's gonna be whumping of either emotional OR physical variety... i think it's both things ya said: the nurturing side AND it makes them more human in the way that it shows us their deepest emotions in a way because they can be dealing with things that normally they'd never have to deal with....

Quote Originally Posted by emily_reich
    ... i somtimes wish they would make someone who's whumped bad in one ep sit the next one out so we could see people coming in and caring for them intermixed with that next episode...
    Galactica recently did that with Starbuck, who crashed her fighter. The last 2 episodes she has only been seen in the infirmary with people stopping by to visit. Last week they showed her trying to walk with a brace. Eventually she will be back to normal, but it has been interesting seeing a *macho* character forced to sit in the background.

yeah... i must say i liked that they did that!! the closest i can think of to that in stargate was daniel out from.... what was it again?? an appendix rupturing... and THAT was only cuz it ACTUALLY happened to michael shanks!!

i think shep shoulda been out for the count a lot longer after 38 minutes!!

I don't know about being considered a whumper but I do feel like climbing into the tv show and helping him when he is hurting and taking care of him.
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'