Page 3 of 9789 FirstFirst 12345613531035031003 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 195761
  1. #41
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    yeah... i definately think the reason he closes himself off has to do with his childhood somehow... don't know if it's related to his parents or anything, but i think SOMETHING that happened just changed his life completely and he for some reason decided either he couldn't trust people with his feelings or he thought there was something about himself that he didn't want people to know or he was afraid about what might happen if people found out....

    but you are absolutely right that he is still an outwardly caring person... he truly cares about what happens to others and he doesn't like to see them in danger... ESPECIALLY when he caused that danger.... and i really think more than ANYTHING seeing what has happened since he woke up the wraith (despite the fact that it was bound to happen and if he hadn't gone to rescue the people he would have felt guilty about that too)... he truly feels completely responsible for waking them up and the subseqent damage they've caused... i think it's obvious he feels guilty because he doesn't like to have to tell people about the wraith.... remember it's almost always mckay telling him that they should tell the truth about the wraith....

    beyond the wraith, i really think he tries to take everyone's sadness and guilt and place it on himself because he doesn't like to see others upset... and all this piling on top of his own feelings really IS heading him for an emotional breakdown...

    i agree that i REALLY don't see mckay breaking down... maybe freaking out a bit more than usual, but remember in redemption he just goes right up to sam and tells her about his troubled childhood even though it really isn't necessary to get his point across... and besides, freaking out's not the kind of breakdown i mean... i can see shep as one of those guys who takes more and more and more and even though no one else is willing to see it, he uses more and more strength to keep up a happy facade and less but also more strength to hold up all the bad stuff he feels responsible for and all the terrible stuff that's happened, but eventually it's going to eat away at him and he's not going to have any strength left, and when no one's watching he'd either breakdown screaming or crying (could be either one, could be both)... it would be nice to see someone find him unintentionally (or intentionally) and he wouldn't even bother puttingn up that friendly cover and even though he doesn't want them to be there, they comfort him... be it anyone...

  2. #42
    Lieutenant Colonel Salty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,435

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by emily_reich
    i can see shep as one of those guys who takes more and more and more and even though no one else is willing to see it, he uses more and more strength to keep up a happy facade and less but also more strength to hold up all the bad stuff he feels responsible for and all the terrible stuff that's happened, but eventually it's going to eat away at him and he's not going to have any strength left, and when no one's watching he'd either breakdown screaming or crying (could be either one, could be both)... it would be nice to see someone find him unintentionally (or intentionally) and he wouldn't even bother puttingn up that friendly cover and even though he doesn't want them to be there, they comfort him... be it anyone...

    Can't see Shep cry - nope, can't picture it. he's too strong. His breakdown would involve throwing stuff, yelling, hitting the wall. And THAT's how someone would find out. He's hit a wall and break his hand, then would have to explain it. Of course, by then he'd be deflated and would talk it out with whoever happened to witness the lashing out. *cough* Rodney.

  3. #43
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    yeah... i would see anger too, but it would DEFINATELY be one of those two.... not just freaking out like mckay.... i think it'd be anger first... maybe some ALMOST tears second (just on the verge, but i think he could stop himself from getting quite that far... or maybe one tear before he can stop himself and realizes what's happening)... that's what i see... either way it'd be powerful (i'm sure thanks to JF's wonderful acting!) and i would HOPE that someone comes in to comfort him!!!

  4. #44
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by joescookiem
    I agree with you Merlin.

    I really would like to know why Shep was all by himself when he was deciding whether to go on the expedition in Rising. Shep's bio states that his father is a respected Cold War general. Is his father so distant that Shep can't bring up that he is going away, possibly forever? When Shep was disciplined for disobeying orders in Afghanistan, did his father maybe not want to talk to him because of what he did? What was his father like when Shep was growing up? If he was a real disciplinarian, maybe that is why Shep distrusts authority.

    I think maybe because of his childhood, that's why Shep doesn't share things. [Random thought: wonder if Shep's mother is still alive?]
    I wonder those things too. All the more so after LETTERS! ::Huggles poor woobie Shep::

  5. #45
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    Can't see Shep cry - nope, can't picture it. he's too strong. His breakdown would involve throwing stuff, yelling, hitting the wall. And THAT's how someone would find out. He's hit a wall and break his hand, then would have to explain it. Of course, by then he'd be deflated and would talk it out with whoever happened to witness the lashing out. *cough* Rodney.

    I totally think He would throw and yell and hit and punch and exhaust himself. BUt I actually can picture him crying .Not heaving sobs, but silent tears running down his face. He's a very passionate and intense man. And I actually the tears coming over something unexpected. Like a child's death he had no involvement in or any control over. It would be a little thing that would break him. And Joe would pull off the moment beautifully, making ME cry! LOL

  6. #46
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    yeah... i think he'll get so far that he'll get to the point where just the SMALLEST thing will break him in the end, and it'll be so moving because he was able to hold up so much and finally it's just something comparatively so insignificant which finally forces him to stop carrying all thw weight!! and i guess when you say it that way about the crying, i coulod see that too... just screaming and throwing things and suddenly just crashing PHYSICALLY and just having tears that he can't even control....

  7. #47
    Chief Master Sergeant Thor's Pal's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    West of a Lincoln
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by smallgirl
    It was said when SGA began that O'Neill and Sheppard were alike because of the humour. It became apparent early on that there were a lot of differences but the way their characters respond to whumping is a big indicator of their differences. When O'Neill is 'up against it' he brings out the full snark cannon both as a defensive mechanism to deflect attention away from how he really feels and because offence is the best defence in his book. Sheppard however raises the drawbridge and goes into a kind of seige mentality. He's not going to waste energy or time on snark or anything for that matter because he's focussing on survival. I prefer Sheppard's way of handling things, it feels more real and human.
    (Disclaimer: is what I'm about to say has already been said, I'm sorry)

    Different people will react to a whupping in different ways- which is why I disagree with the above paragraph. O'Neill is an EXPERT at recieving a whupping, I mean come on- he was walked out if Iran on a broken leg ( not to menchond how much McGuyver would get whupped per episode ). O'Neill handles it with humor- shep is more of a sulker.
    Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

    O'Neill:
    "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

    Carter:
    "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

    CARTER: You made [this]?
    ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

    Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
    McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

    Slashdot:
    "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

  8. #48
    Lieutenant Colonel Purpleyin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    3,839

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    If you guys like Shep whumping you should hang out here, where they are big on whumping especially Shep. Lots of very talent whumpers there.

    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sgahc/

    Also ff.net has a c2 community called 'The Great Whumps, Laughs, and Aww Worthy Stories of Atlantis' with whumping fics., where main candidates are generall McKay, Shep and Beckett

    http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/11314/0/1/

  9. #49
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Pal
    (Disclaimer: is what I'm about to say has already been said, I'm sorry)

    Different people will react to a whupping in different ways- which is why I disagree with the above paragraph. O'Neill is an EXPERT at recieving a whupping, I mean come on- he was walked out if Iran on a broken leg ( not to menchond how much McGuyver would get whupped per episode ). O'Neill handles it with humor- shep is more of a sulker.
    Sulking? Sheppard? Can you show me where?
    Unless I don't understand what that actually means. I haven't seen him SULK after a whumping. Ever.

    He was dying in 38 minutes and he stayed focused and positive.
    He never gave up in DEFIANT ONE. Took a licking and kept on ticking. And after being shot and two whallops he was out of adrenaline and still walked away without a positive attitude.

    LEft the infirmary after a stun blast in SUSPICION

    I won't mention what he does in SIEGE since it hasn't aired yet.

    So..sulking? I don't think so! LOL

  10. #50
    Second Lieutenant smallgirl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire,England.
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Pal
    (Disclaimer: is what I'm about to say has already been said, I'm sorry)

    Different people will react to a whupping in different ways- which is why I disagree with the above paragraph. O'Neill is an EXPERT at recieving a whupping, I mean come on- he was walked out if Iran on a broken leg ( not to menchond how much McGuyver would get whupped per episode ). O'Neill handles it with humor- shep is more of a sulker.
    I probably didn't word it right. I wasn't criticising O'Neill because of the difference in the way he handles being whumped to Sheppard. I was just saying the same I think to what you're saying that they have different coping mechanisms. O'Neill's method works for him and you are right his character has been through a lot and it is a credit to him that he has kept it together. I did say that I prefered Sheppard's way of handling it not because it's better necessarily but because I can relate to it better. I don't agree that Sheppard sulks, yes he has been a bit short tempered lately and in the past when things didn't go his way he has appeared to not accept criticism very well. I don't think O'Neill responds particularly well to it either but he tends to counter it by going on the offensive and Sheppard is more inclined towards avoidance. O'Neill is older than Sheppard, has I imagine been through a lot more, I am certain that Sheppard has suffered in the past but maybe not to the same extent and is therefore not as hardened to it. With Sheppard one can only speculate but with O'Neill we know the personal and combat tragedies he has faced. O'Neill certainly has had the leadership and responsibility experience that Sheppard lacks. The lack of experience on Sheppard's part is what makes me admire how well he has dealt and is still dealing with the Atlantis situation. O'Neill for the first 7 seasons of SG-1 had Hammond as a point of reference, with Sheppard the buck stops with him militarily speaking because Weir is a civilian leader. He is far from perfect but his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. I like the fact that when he is being whumped, he is not only having to overcome whatever is going on externally but also in a sense overcoming his internal doubts.
    ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
    FBI - Body Preservation Division

    http://www.boomspeed.com/smallgirl/SGA_JF2

  11. #51
    Lieutenant Colonel Salty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,435

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Pal
    (Disclaimer: is what I'm about to say has already been said, I'm sorry)

    Different people will react to a whupping in different ways- which is why I disagree with the above paragraph. O'Neill is an EXPERT at recieving a whupping, I mean come on- he was walked out if Iran on a broken leg ( not to menchond how much McGuyver would get whupped per episode ). O'Neill handles it with humor- shep is more of a sulker.

    Where have you seen Shep sulking? We've had few opportunities to see Shep whumped - the bug in 38 Minutes, the Wraith stun in Suspicion, and the shooting and everything else in The Defiant One. Not one of those instances had him sulking! More like get up and get back on the horse. In 38 Minutes, he figured out a solution by stopping his heart, in Suspicion, he was out of the infirmary and back in action asap, and in The Defiant One, well we saw him take hit after hit and never back down. Sorry, just don't see Shep as a sulker.

  12. #52
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    Where have you seen Shep sulking? We've had few opportunities to see Shep whumped - the bug in 38 Minutes, the Wraith stun in Suspicion, and the shooting and everything else in The Defiant One. Not one of those instances had him sulking! More like get up and get back on the horse. In 38 Minutes, he figured out a solution by stopping his heart, in Suspicion, he was out of the infirmary and back in action asap, and in The Defiant One, well we saw him take hit after hit and never back down. Sorry, just don't see Shep as a sulker.
    Hey you..I think we share a brain. We did like the same post. LOL

    We need lots and lots of SHEP WHUMP in season 2. Yeah.

  13. #53
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    lol... yeah... you guys beat me to it!! i was gonna say the same thing!! methinks great minds think alike i've never seen shep sulk... ever!! he's too strong, or at least wants to maintain that image (prob'ly a combination)

  14. #54

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin7
    DEFIANT ONE really should have been a 2 parter. They could have done a whole second hour dealing with John's injuries and the reality of Gaul's death. BOth guys needed to deal with it and John could have helped Rodney with Gaul and his own guilt would have come into play, and all the while he would have been trying to avoid the infirmary. We NEED to SEE SHeppard and Carson interaction over Shep's injuries. NEED NEED NEED! LOL
    It isn't really because you NEED to see him shirtless, is it?


    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

  15. #55
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    we can think of things besides thunking!!.... well, sometimes...

  16. #56
    Captain Merlin7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    It isn't really because you NEED to see him shirtless, is it?


    Who..me? ::blinks innocently::
    I have no interest, whatsoever, in Sheppard's naked chest. Nope. No interest at all. I don't care about such shallow things in the least. There is not a shallow bone in my...

    Oh who am I kidding?

  17. #57
    Chief Master Sergeant Thor's Pal's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    West of a Lincoln
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Ok, sorry, I didn't come up with the best word yesterday- At the time of posting- I had been up since about 10 am Wed morning and wasn't always getting my thoughts through my fingers.
    Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

    O'Neill:
    "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

    Carter:
    "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

    CARTER: You made [this]?
    ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

    Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
    McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

    Slashdot:
    "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

  18. #58
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    surprised no one has mentioned the half-whumpage in the brotherhood.... or should i say near-whumpage... first when
    Spoiler:
    the genii show up, then when he's forced to try the device first... just think, if he wasn't good at math, he could have died (well, ignoring that he's a main guy and wouldn't, anyway....)...

  19. #59
    Lieutenant Colonel Salty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,435

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin7
    Who..me? ::blinks innocently::
    I have no interest, whatsoever, in Sheppard's naked chest. Nope. No interest at all. I don't care about such shallow things in the least. There is not a shallow bone in my...

    Oh who am I kidding?
    Hey, that brain that we share??? Shuuuure you don't want to see his naked chest - just his butt LOL

    BTW, I don't consider Brotherhood a whumping ep! So much missed opportunity!!

  20. #60
    Colonel emily_reich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Honolulu with Chopsticks!Ba'al, thunking ded...
    Posts
    5,696

    Default Re: Shep Whumping

    really?? well i consider it a near-whump ep... besides we need SOMETHING to keep this thread out of the depths of the forum otherwise known as pages 3, 4, 5...

Page 3 of 9789 FirstFirst 12345613531035031003 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. John Sheppard
    By Mulder1975 in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: February 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM
  2. John Sheppard
    By DakotaWoman2 in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 13th, 2008, 04:53 AM
  3. John Sheppard Can't Win
    By KindlyKeller in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
  4. Why John Sheppard has his name
    By nadie4ever in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 31st, 2007, 07:24 AM
  5. John Sheppard
    By BrendaSprung in forum SGA Characters and Relationships
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •