Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing to be PC about, surely, ? obviously they are only going to accept, into the country, those that do live there, they don't want to infect more people so they will need buildings to hold and check them in, the others can be taken back to their own countries as well and similar precautions can be taken.Or, let them all live on the boat till they all test negative. Which would they opt for?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
      There is nothing to be PC about, surely, ? obviously they are only going to accept, into the country, those that do live there, they don't want to infect more people so they will need buildings to hold and check them in, the others can be taken back to their own countries as well and similar precautions can be taken.Or, let them all live on the boat till they all test negative. Which would they opt for?
      How well have we done blocking entry into the country by people with no legal status to be here at all so far?
      Every time action is taken to do just that, it is challenged and often stopped in the courts. Just take a look at the arguments over our southern border over the past decade or so.

Comment

But this is on a big ship, they know who is aboard and where they are from
        sigpic

Comment

But this is on a big ship, they know who is aboard and where they are from
          But forcing them to return to their nation of origin is another thing. When Trump stopped air travel from China, there were more than a few of his enemies in govt. and the media hurling accusations of racisim

There is a very vocal group of folks around here who want to bring in as many illegals as possible. Some of these ships are carrying mostly illegals according to the article. If they try to deny those ships docking, it just won't be politically correct.

Comment

Not that I think that every ship floating around the ocean with sick passengers should come on into to the US to get medical care (especially if the place they're trying to dock has a Healthcare system that's already being taxed), but calling people stuck on cruise ships and the like "illegals", like they're trying to sneak into the country and live here, is just weird.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Not that I think that every ship floating around the ocean with sick passengers should come on into to the US to get medical care (especially if the place they're trying to dock has a Healthcare system that's already being taxed), but calling people stuck on cruise ships and the like "illegals", like they're trying to sneak into the country and live here, is just weird.
              Well, why don't the ships return to their port of origin then? According to the news article, several ships contain no US citizens. Where did they come from?

That's not why I posted this though... I'm very surprised that DeSantis hasn't been viciously attacked for using the term "foreign crude" to describe them.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                Well, why don't the ships return to their port of origin then? According to the news article, several ships contain no US citizens. Where did they come from?

That's not why I posted this though... I'm very surprised that DeSantis hasn't been viciously attacked for using the term "foreign crude" to describe them.
                I think " foreign crude" may have been a typo or transcripting error, they may have meant foreign crewed, as in the crew was foreign born. I have no idea why these ships can't go home, or what exactly the situation with them is. Are they too far away from home to get the sick people care before they die? Do they lack resources/fuel? Is everyone in the crew sick?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  Some customers have started to curse the Chinese people and I had to tell them off.
                  That majorly pisses me off.

My wife is from the Philippines. She came to Israel last year, and up until recently, she only ran into any kind of race-based prejudice a couple of times, in the form of random grumbling by old religious neanderthals in a share taxi (plus one customer in his 60s rudely coming on to her despite the wedding ring and 30+ years of age difference - all while purchasing a ticket to Israel for his Nepalese girlfriend).

Since the virus scare began, we started seeing Tik Tok videos of people pointing their phone's camera at random Filipina caregivers at the post office or Chinese construction workers on the bus stop and saying "it's corona time" - seems to be some sick challenge. Wifey's coworker wasn't allowed to board a share taxi because she was wearing a face mask while Chinese. Two of her office mates (both Filipino) were harassed and beaten. Granted, she works in one of the less-safe areas of Tel Aviv a- but still, things are noticeably worse and prejudices come out of people more since the epidemic began.

Even all the painkillers are gone. So the co-codamol addicts will all behave irrationally when they don't get their fix. And since the pubs are closed down now, I am guessing the supermarkets will run out of alcohol shortly too.
                  This reminds me to create a small supply of vodka. Back in Russia during the economy collapse, my parents always bought alcohol when they saw any for sale even though they themselves didn't drink. In the "favors economy" where money was borderline worthless because of the runaway inflation, vodka served as a kind of universal, inflation-resistant currency to be bartered for services.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I think " foreign crude" may have been a typo or transcripting error, they may have meant foreign crewed, as in the crew was foreign born. I have no idea why these ships can't go home, or what exactly the situation with them is. Are they too far away from home to get the sick people care before they die? Do they lack resources/fuel? Is everyone in the crew sick?
                    Most cruise and cargo ships in the world are "foreign crewed"; a typical cruise ship crew can have 40 different nationalities, most of them from Southeast Asia, South America and Eastern Europe. "Go home" is not exactly easy to define.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      That majorly pisses me off.
                      It's typical reactionary thinking unfortunately. "us Vs THEM". I grew up in such an environment as a kid and I...… SEVERELY rebelled against it.
                      My wife is from the Philippines. She came to Israel last year, and up until recently, she only ran into any kind of race-based prejudice a couple of times, in the form of random grumbling by old religious neanderthals in a share taxi (plus one customer in his 60s rudely coming on to her despite the wedding ring and 30+ years of age difference - all while purchasing a ticket to Israel for his Nepalese girlfriend).
                      Good, no one deserves race based attacks. Being here, we have ALOT of people from the Philippines and I can't STAND them being harassed.
                      Since the virus scare began, we started seeing Tik Tok videos of people pointing their phone's camera at random Filipina caregivers at the post office or Chinese construction workers on the bus stop and saying "it's corona time" - seems to be some sick challenge.
                      I was in line for a few drinks from the bottle shop and I hear the same stupid crap every day. I hear the same from some of my customers and it makes me just want to punch the living crap out of them. It's a frigging virus, it does not matter where it came from, it's not a "Chinese virus" it's a GLOBAL PANDEMIC (which I know you realise Womble, not yelling at you mate)
                      Wifey's coworker wasn't allowed to board a share taxi because she was wearing a face mask while Chinese. Two of her office mates (both Filipino) were harassed and beaten. Granted, she works in one of the less-safe areas of Tel Aviv a- but still, things are noticeably worse and prejudices come out of people more since the epidemic began.
                      Agree, 100% People get stupid when they are scared and it brings out the worst in us.

This reminds me to create a small supply of vodka. Back in Russia during the economy collapse, my parents always bought alcohol when they saw any for sale even though they themselves didn't drink. In the "favors economy" where money was borderline worthless because of the runaway inflation, vodka served as a kind of universal, inflation-resistant currency to be bartered for services.
                      Isn't there a better option than Vodka for Israel? I mean, I would hoard beer for that barter option out here as it's more culturally valid. I have no idea what sells well in Israel in terms of drinks, but perhaps whatever that is would be a better stockpile?
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Is there a reason they are not being sent back to the country of origin then?
                        Port of origin, you mean... from where the cruise started of originally?

Because country of origin, good luck with that... whose country are you gonna choose first?
                        By the time you've dropped everyone off, you've probably got a ghost ship on your hand.

Or as Womble says...

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        Most cruise and cargo ships in the world are "foreign crewed"; a typical cruise ship crew can have 40 different nationalities, most of them from Southeast Asia, South America and Eastern Europe. "Go home" is not exactly easy to define.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        But forcing them to return to their nation of origin is another thing. When Trump stopped air travel from China, there were more than a few of his enemies in govt. and the media hurling accusations of racisim
                        You didn't hear it yet, did you.

Apparently the wave of current corona infections are mostly from European origins.
                        So, closing travel from China, sure good thing but then you forgot about the rest of the world for a while.

Not that I think that every ship floating around the ocean with sick passengers should come on into to the US to get medical care...
                        Considering most of those passengers probably have better health care from where they are -- The Netherlands sure does.
                        Although, with regards to Corona, they have been reacting a little late.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

You didn't hear it yet, did you.

Apparently the wave of current corona infections are mostly from European origins.
                          So, closing travel from China, sure good thing but then you forgot about the rest of the world for a while.
                          I'm perfectly fine with shutting down travel from outside the U.S., period. Damned good idea. Haven't I used the term "slam the doors shut" often enough?

Problem is, they forgot to ask me what to do. But, they rarely do. Which is why this place is so frakked up in so many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I was in line for a few drinks from the bottle shop and I hear the same stupid crap every day. I hear the same from some of my customers and it makes me just want to punch the living crap out of them. It's a frigging virus, it does not matter where it came from, it's not a "Chinese virus" it's a GLOBAL PANDEMIC (which I know you realise Womble, not yelling at you mate)
                            The most ironic thing about it here in Israel, of the 10k confirmed coronavirus cases, only 2 are Asian guest workers, so if anything, they should be pointing at us, not the other way round.

Isn't there a better option than Vodka for Israel? I mean, I would hoard beer for that barter option out here as it's more culturally valid. I have no idea what sells well in Israel in terms of drinks, but perhaps whatever that is would be a better stockpile?
                            Who do you barter with for alcohol? Alcoholics or people who will barter with alcoholics. Which alcohol would they value the most? 40% and above.

Back in the 90-s, you could hire the homeless drunks to carry some heavy stuff from the shop to your home, do all kinds of manual labor (like straightening my grandparents' gravestones at the cemetery) and if you knew a heavy-drinking plumber, carpenter or locksmith, you were covered when it came to home repairs.

Also, vodka works well as home medicine, from dulling tooth ache to soothing ear ache (I had mumps as a child and my dad put a few drops of vodka in my ear, quite effective) to treating jellyfish or poison ivy burns. It even works as an insect repellent. Vodka with chili pepper does wonders for cough and other common cold sympthoms. Its part of my strategic supply, but normally i only keep one bottle.

Comment

Some of you know that I am a teacher, and the state I work in has closed schools about a month ago so that means we have been doing online classes since and it's been difficult to say the least. I teach in two disciplines, Spanish and Social Studies, so they both look very different especially when the former is an interpersonal type thing. Schools here didn't really have anything prepared for this, we were never training using technology and online resources has been focused on the concept of physical classrooms and normal school days...and the platform we use was wholly unprepared. Until the last few days, it's been crashing and glitching. On top of my own personal concerns and worries, I mean I have people to worry about too.

So that means that I have had to field questions and tech issues for over 80 students and 160 plus parents/guardians, changing guidelines and all the while finding, planing, and implementing online lessons to carry out learning especially something as teaching kids to speak another language when they have no one to actually speak with....then I have to grade everything quick enough to provide feedback and give kids a chance to redo things that they mess up with (which takes time).

I had one student who had some tech issue with an assignment and I told them that'd I'd get back to them, however I didn't because I also had to get back to many other individuals and it simply slipped through the cracks, a simple mistake. In any event, the kid actually did the assignment and other assignments previously and afterwords. He missed two assignments though and it was the second time I needed to check in with his parents (I checked in once before at the beginning because he wasn't doing any assignments and was one of the kids who didn't contact me about any issues).

So the email response I get from this kid's parent, who shall be called Karen, began complaining about the school having lack of communication and having failed her expectations and that different teachers (high school by the way) have widely different expectations and then proceeds to mention how I didn't get back to her kid about that one tech issue which was apparently resolved anyway and then said she didn't want her kid (referenced Karen used the word child as if this was elementary school) to be penalized for it.

Now, to be fair, Karen is a nurse and it's entirely possible that the stress is getting to her, but to make up crap about her kid not being able to do their work and bring up other teachers as if I am being lazy or something is downright insulting when I know for a fact that there are some teachers doing the bare minimum. And then this person has no idea what my experience could be like. No idea if I have to care for my older parents, no idea if I am concerned about relatives, no idea of what anything on my end might possibly look like. Just a "How dare you miss one reply to my little tiny super young helpless child even though he ended up not needing said replay" added with "here is how I think you all suck at your job".

The thing is, I've sent out class wide messages telling parents that for the first few weeks due dates are soft dates, and that I am very flexible with them due to the issues I've mentioned.

The real kicker is that her kid isn't a Karen at all, they are actually rather reasonable and understanding. And if she is so stressed, why not let her husband deal with it? I emailed him too, he could have easily said "I'll handle the school stuff". I have other parents who also are in the medical field, and their spouses are handling school stuff and there have been zero complaints. I did get a frustrated, but not insulting, email from a parent who is a nurse and I simply called the spouse and it really seemed okay. In the end of the day I still am better off than many others and I do count my blessings for it. But I have to ask, how many grocers, pharmacists, first responders, and so on has this Karen gone off on? If a simple message about two missing assignments triggered her, I can't imagine what else triggered her.

And I think that's the issue, some people are too wrapped up in their own crap that they forget...everyone else is also dealing with their own crap. This is a crises, no one was prepared (even though everyone was warned way back when but no one remembers those warnings, and I don't mean this past December). Schools were caught of guard, hospitals were not equipped for this nothing and no one outside some very specialized fields had any system nor plan in place to deal with this and that we all have people to worry about.

Then you have these idiots who are going around licking and coughing on things...words can't begin to express what I feel about that. Personally, I want real and hard jail time for those people.

In case you're wondering, I didn't reply with any sarcasm or anything. I made a very conciliatory reply and reminded her that is was two old assignments and that her kid was getting everything else done. But maybe before any of us hit the "send" or "reply" button we can stop and think how will this message impact the other person? Am I adding something? Helping? Or am I just tearing down? Take Mrs Womble for example, how many times has she had Chinese epithets thrown at her as a result of Coronavirus, wouldn't calling it the "Chinese virus" just bring that up to surface and encourage that? Does it build anyone up using that? No, so why do it? It's the age old golden rule of "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". In any event there's been many viruses from China so it's not a very accurate name to begin with. What is helped by saying things like "here's rona" or by trying to troll people into thinking that you're spreading the disease at stores?

But that's my point in all of this, there is no good to be done by saying things right now that will only rile people up if it can be avoided? Anyway, that's my rant.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                [COLOR="#000080"]And I think that's the issue, some people are too wrapped up in their own crap that they forget...everyone else is also dealing with their own crap. This is a crises, no one was prepared (even though everyone was warned way back when but no one remembers those warnings, and I don't mean this past December).
                                Something I've come across the tsunami of mails my company dealt with over the past weeks.

We are an HR company where independents and companies go for their HR needs. So when all non-essential businesses were told to close, we were bombarded with mails about extensions for payments, payments to cover the closing period as ruled by the government... in any case, there were a lot of people (thankfully) who wrote in their mail that they understood that it would take longer for us to respond, with the flood and all, but I did see several who would literally send us a mail one day, and the next another asking what took us so long to respond...

Oh, I don't know, genius, the fact that your mail is one of the ten thousand others we are going through right now...
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X