• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have done the same. More bacon for me
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      What is that supposed to be, a 500 word essay on why the Kindergartner can't screw up?
      It's a 500 word essay that displays your lack of understanding of English Grammar. And I never said she can't screw up. You just wanted to take a cheap shot at something and messed up doing it. What she said is simply not a double negative. It's your turn to prove me otherwise. But then again, you seem to understand the English language and English conventions about as much as you understand Economics, and the Law. You just make it up as you go.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, let's go back to what was said.

Nope. Still hasn't graduated from Kindergarten.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...green-new-deal

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez predicted that Miami will no longer exist in just a couple of years if the Green New Deal is not passed.

"When it comes to climate change, what is not realistic is not responding with a solution on the scale of the crisis — because what's not realistic is Miami not existing in a few years," the New York Democrat said Wednesday at an NAACP forum. "So we need to be realistic about the problem."
        I wonder if she ever realized what using double negatives in a sentence does to the meaning of that sentence.
        The double negative screws the sentence up. End of discussion. My English teachers wouldn't let me get away with crap like that, and nor should anyone else. If itt was just a screw up, fine.

But admit it was a screw up and move on. Don't try to defend it.

Comment

Ok, let's go back to what was said.

The double negative screws the sentence up. End of discussion. My English teachers wouldn't let me get away with crap like that, and nor should anyone else. If itt was just a screw up, fine.

But admit it was a screw up and move on. Don't try to defend it.
          You're not listening and you obviously didn't read the link I provided that goes into detail about the complexities of grammar and English language. Teachers simplify things because they want to get the basic foundation tagged. Later on, you just pick up on the subtleties yourself. Half the time, grammar nazis are actually wrong.

Take one of Trump's statements for example

"In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word would instead of wouldn't. The sentence should have been, 'I don't see any reason why I wouldn't or why it wouldn't be Russia'... sort of a double negative."

Yes, there are two negative words in one sentence which I bolded. They don't negate each other because they are divided by separate clauses, Trump is correct it is "sort of a double negative" but it isn't the kind english teachers talk about which is why he said "sort of". It's the exact same type of construct AOC used. The casual English used by both of them allows for this sort of thing. How often have you seen or heard people say "It isn't nothing" to mean "It's something". It's a double negative, but it is used purposefully. That's just another valid use of double negatives.

Another example is the commonly used phrase "It's not impossible" That's two negatives right there but they are used to mean "It's possible". These are called "weak positives" btw. This is one link of many that goes into detail on how double negatives are used and can be used (link)

More examples with the negatives bolded:
          "You didn’t do too badly at the game"
          "Not bad" (Also "you weren't that bad")
          "Your raise is not insignificant" (This one in various variants is quite common)

English is a very versatile language, you can use the rules to create a variety of expressions to convey different meanings in creative ways that can have a deeper impact on your listener/reader. Shakespeare (among others) made great use of double and even intensive negatives in one sentence to that effect. Song lyricists as well as poets do and have always done the same. Your teachers just wanted you to get the basic gist of it, not to limit yourself to the basics never endeavouring to explore the full potential of the English language.

This website gives great examples on the usage of double negatives for emphasis, ironic speech, and complex utterances and so on. (link)

But do take note, that you haven't said or done anything to prove that what AOC said is grammatically wrong other than simply saying "it's wrong". (I just used two negatives in that sentence, but separated by differing clauses and usage) So tell me, who here has a stronger command of the English Language and its rules/conventions?

Edit: Also, the Bible is not shy about using double negatives! Check out all the examples
          https://www.godlovespeople.com/bible_doctrines/double_negative.htm
          Last edited by aretood2; 14 September 2019, 06:59 PM.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Personally i do not care about spelling or grammar much, so long as i can understand it, there are many different standards out there, and tbh, we are not all the same, lifes too short
            sigpic

Comment

Sadly couldn't find anything in the news, but I've been witness today to a hilarious police car chase as I was waiting for the bus after work.

Casual afternoon when suddenly a police SUV runs a red light, slams the brakes and a cop gets off reaching for his gun. Then I notice this little grey car, which looked like a Ford Fiesta with a body kit (lol), totally in the wrong lane. The grey car u-turns and goes pedal to the metal meanwhile the cop scrambles back in his car and just floors it hard (they got badass turbo SUV) and literally catch up with the car in less than 5 seconds. Here comes the funny part. It was rush hour, full traffic, downtown as you can be in Ottawa lmao! How can you be so dense? It is one big boulevard with no exits, no way out, Parliament on one side and traffic on the other, buses everywhere, literally thousands of witnesses. I swear in the span of 30 seconds this guy had 3 different corps of police surrounding him completely. WHO THE F**K runs from the cops in front of Parliament? That'd be like running away in front of the WH in DC, bonehead to the max.

Here's the best photo I could find, it was right there it happened

Everybody at the bus stop was laughing their a$$ off, including me, wow that made my day, was worth the longer ride home.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                Personally i do not care about spelling or grammar much, so long as i can understand it, there are many different standards out there, and tbh, we are not all the same, lifes too short
                I see what you did there.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

For once, the deer got its revenge.

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/a...ot-attacks-him

Comment

How to have a small, intimate wedding:

Seems the bride wants to charge $50 admission to her wedding. In addition,
                    Bride wants guests to pay entrance fee in advance to get on 'exclusive guest list' and skip line, cousin says

How the hell did she ever get anyone to marry her in the first place?

And, I wonder if she published a billing address for those guests that do show up to send the bill for tuxedos and briadal party gowns and such to.

Comment

I have something to add in this department...

Gateworld's new vision...

It looks like political is closed down.
                      *watches activity dwindle even further*
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I have something to add in this department...

Gateworld's new vision...

Agree with you I do.

Comment

Agree with you I do.
                          I think I just saw a pig fly past my office window...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

nonsense

this here's the new political thread :|

Comment

I think I just saw a pig fly past my office window...
                              No, that was a commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                nonsense

this here's the new political thread :|
                                Hey, I'm game.
                                Seriously, the owners of the board have expressed their desire. Going around them or trying stunts to evade their edicts would be legitimate reason for being banned in my view.

While I will probably not be posting here anywhere near as often as I have been, I'm not ready to banned yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X