This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

But we are even behind where we were just a decade ago. We have no manned flight capability (SpaceX will soon change that). It's because of the "We have problems here we shouldn't spend money on space" crowd. Total boneheads if you ask me.
    Ok, hell just froze over. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

But we are even behind where we were just a decade ago. We have no manned flight capability (SpaceX will soon change that). It's because of the "We have problems here we shouldn't spend money on space" crowd. Total boneheads if you ask me.
      Not just spaceX
      https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nasa-pic...-rocket-launch
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Wasn't that a theme of a Doctor Who episode? "Roo's on a spaceship" or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Pretty cool actually.

I can't wait until the actual commercialization of space happens, that's where the real progress will begin. I've read somewhere that NASA is looking to send tourists on the ISS for a ''small'' fee of 30-50k or something.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Pretty cool actually.

I can't wait until the actual commercialization of space happens, that's where the real progress will begin. I've read somewhere that NASA is looking to send tourists on the ISS for a ''small'' fee of 30-50k or something.
            Yeah, I've read noise about that, but I don't think it can come to pass for a number of reasons.

First, the US doesn't own the ISS outright, it's a cooperative venture between a number of nations. The odds of getting them to agree on the details of this are about as good as hell freezing over.

2nd, it's damned expensive. NASA is talking about $35K/day, and these aren't one day jaunts. a 10-20 day stay will really eat the vacation budget.

3rd, NASA doesn't have the vehicles to get the tourists there. Private launchers are talking about prices of $ 60 million for the trip to orbit, with these third parties doing the health/training certification as well. How long before some rich geezer buys his way onto a launch list and dies from the stress on the way up?

I just don't think this can fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Yeah, I've read noise about that, but I don't think it can come to pass for a number of reasons.

First, the US doesn't own the ISS outright, it's a cooperative venture between a number of nations. The odds of getting them to agree on the details of this are about as good as hell freezing over.

2nd, it's damned expensive. NASA is talking about $35K/day, and these aren't one day jaunts. a 10-20 day stay will really eat the vacation budget.

3rd, NASA doesn't have the vehicles to get the tourists there. Private launchers are talking about prices of $ 60 million for the trip to orbit, with these third parties doing the health/training certification as well. How long before some rich geezer buys his way onto a launch list and dies from the stress on the way up?

I just don't think this can fly.
              Simply put, the 35-50k figure is projected expense once the whole system is up and running. That's not right now.

Also not sure if you were aware but many rich tourist have visited the ISS for a long time now, a decade if not more. It does cost them 55 million though but it's still possible. They hop on a pre-arranged launch, usually timed with various missions, and remain on the station until the next scheduled landing to Earth.

So yes it is possible, it is actually being done right now. The 35-50k figure is what they EXPECT it to be in the future.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I shall just leave this video here. It's amazing.

Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Israeli ex-con holds up two banks armed with an avocado

Heh.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

maybe he was threatening them al with poorly made guacamole

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      I shall just leave this video here. It's amazing.

Nothing to do with boneheadedness but it was in response to the comments about space.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        maybe he was threatening them al with poorly made guacamole
                        If it were in California, I'd believe it.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          Pretty cool actually.

I completely agree. Privatization of Space exploration is long overdue. Governments still have a large role to play and will continue to do so, but Privatization of Space would be a massive boost and allow for increased innovation. I mean, has NASA or Roscosmos been able to land a used rocket the way SpaceX has? Nope.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

"Hey! We don't serve their kind here!" McDonald's style

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mc-d...215233834.html

A McDonald’s employee was terminated for refusing to serve two paramedics while mistaking them for police officers.

This week, Anthony Quinn of Sunstar Paramedics wrote on Facebook that he had walked into the McDonald’s at Madeira Beach in Florida to use the restroom but was denied by the employee.

According to a screenshot from ABC Action News, Quinn’s post read, “...An employee goes, ‘We don’t accept officers in here. I tell her I’m not an officer. She then says, ‘anyone with a badge,’ then says it to my partner as he walks in to order food, says, ‘We don’t serve your kind here.’ Just insane how people are.”

Comment

And yet you were okay with with that Colorado bakery not serving that homosexual couple. Where is my bacon GF?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                And yet you were okay with with that Colorado bakery not serving that homosexual couple. Where is my bacon GF?
                                Whose religious values are being offended by paramedics?

Totally different circumstances. Still no bacon for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X