This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You two are clueless.
    I'll pray for you, standard response for dummies.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
      in the modern age EVERY bug is gonna spread like wildfire because by the time people start realizing people are sick they're already half-way around the world via the major global airline hubs...so in an age where people can go half-way around the world in a matter of hours every bug in existence is gonna start spreading like wildfire
      Most intelligent and reflective thing you have said MG.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        retail is essential, about time you morons realised it.
        You two are clueless.
        I'll pray for you, standard response for dummies.
        So much for the idea of management around here relaxing the rules regarding politics when it comes to discussing the China virus. You don't agree with someone's posts so you hurl insults.

Comment

Please, play nice. I am a pharmacist and I am also in the front line every day. People are sad, frustrated, panicked, so I try to understand their motives. But there is no reason to swear, to yell, to threaten, to intimidate at me. Once I was robbed by a gunned man in 2008, so that was still one of the worst possible scenario what could happen at your workplace, but this whole panic buying is the close second in my whole carrier. I am tired and annoyed, but I am still going in. I don't consider myself as a "hero" as the real ones are fighting for patients in the hospitals. I am just a man who is brave enough to make his duty. So many collegues have already phoned sick or self isolationing, but I am still going in to serve my community day by day as a responsible pharmacist even if I am mentally tired after 2-3 workdays.

Some customers have started to curse the Chinese people and I had to tell them off. This behaviour doesn't help now as we have to fight with the problem what is at our daily life. But such plebs have got the biggest mouth who are completly irresponsible. When I have asked really nicely to put down the cashier on the table they have made face expressions. When I have told them that I am not willing to give the cash into palms that I will also put it down, they have also made face expressions. Then somebody even dared to ask me why am I not smiling? Then I have responded "because there is no reason for it". Normally I am in good mood , but people don't understand how extreme pressure we were and are under. We had double amount of prescriptions, more and more stock are MCS now.

Even all the painkillers are gone. So the co-codamol addicts will all behave irrationally when they don't get their fix. And since the pubs are closed down now, I am guessing the supermarkets will run out of alcohol shortly too.

But I still try to be positive. We are better than this. A virus can not defeat countries completly. Just I am also sad inside and it is hard to maintain my usual happy pharmacist image, when you see that those people are protesting the most against the social distancing who were meant to be saved by these rules.

I rarely comment here in this section of GW, because of the language barrier. I don't want to participiate in daily arguements as I have listened these for 11-12 hours every day, so that is the other reason I skip these threads. Please, please, behave, our online family is also better than this type of behaviour. I believe in the vaccination and I hope the new clinical studies will be extended so even if we don't get vaccination in time at least there are some other medicine choices for critical patients. Peace and stay at home.
          Last edited by Platschu; 24 March 2020, 11:23 AM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Ladies and gentleman, may I interfere a second and note that this thread is going in a downward spiral of real life politics ... If we keep this up, it'll end up closed.

If people are still not getting it through their thick skull that staying inside and not gather in groups, they should be taken to the ER's and ICU's where people are literally dying right now. Spain recorded another high of 500+ deaths in 24 hours.

Everyone can get it, and die from it, even healthy people can die. Albeit their chances of survival are much higher than their chances of dying.

And let's not forget that Trump wants to open for business again in a week or so... which one of you morons is the boneheaded one now when you think that's a splendid idea. The USA hasn't even reached the peak of the infection... good luck, guys! You're gonna need it!
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I empathize with that reaction. I'm trying to keep my exposure down but it's really hard when my customers show a lack of concern. I may be dramatizing a little, but I fear for my safety
              Some people can be very selfish.

Since this has basically turned into the Coronavirus thread, here's an article about how South Korea has dealt with/is dealing with the coronavirus. They seem to be fairing better than most other places so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/w...ten-curve.html
              sigpic

Comment

I and the other Staff are just as concerned as any of you about the spread of this virus,and the measures taken by our medical experts,scientists,politicians etc.We ALL have families and loved ones.We all live in the same world as the rest of you.

My husband works as a bus driver.My son works as a manager at McD.My daughter works as a dogsbody/sales assisant/trainee manager at a large retailer and does whatever her bosses assign or she knows needs to be done at any given moment.
                One minute she's stacking shelves,trying to train and concentrate on the security instore.The next she's getting screamed at by someone in a panic because they can't find any of the stuff the hoarders already bought.
                Almost everyone I've ever known hates working retail until and unless they find ways to keep their cool.
                My daughter is a very calm person.She knows that people yell at staff and other people because they're afraid and feel their world's out of control.
                She comes home tired,hungry,stinking of anti-bac and with achy feet daily.Given her exposure potentially to the virus,it's (imo) only a matter of time before we all fall ill.
                Mr Baggie is currently staying calm on paid leave waiting on his bosses to tell him when and if he still has shifts in the near future.Son likewise.He was lucky.He started his booked holiday staycation the day before McD shut all their Outlets in the UK.
                We were sensible all along and only bought what we needed.Before the term "Social Isolation" was the keyword,we all stayed well away from others and spent most of the time indoors before the near-lockdown was mooted here.It was obviously coming down the pipes and began yesterday for real.
                Walking the dog in a way that avoids close contact with others is easy to do.Staying indoors and keeping everything hygienic and yell-free is easy too.
                I have a heart condition,and disabilities ,so the one most likely (theoretically) to really go down fast is me,but I haven't had the prolonged exposure the rest of my immediate family have to carriers and sufferers of Covid -19.
                Viruses don't care who they enter.Time will tell,and I'm resigned to at least 3 weeks -3 months of limited interaction with others and worrying about friends and other family,employees set adrift by companies,self-employed stugglers told to just wait or be rejected by the benefits people when they have the same financial obligations as anyone else,especially those on nice big salaries.Nobody asked for any of this,but we have to live in the same world,regardless.

Now: voice of GateWorld time.
                It's not kosher to name-call,or drag in party political stuff ,concoct conspiracy theories that border or cross the line into blame games and racism,or divert things here or in any other thread to push at the updated rules,or cause anyone to feel insulted ,and we can see who's on the lines and likely to cross them further.
                That said: we're ALL under stress .Stresses that are connected to our real lives and futures,and not likely to go away anytime soon.

Be kind.Take a breath.

Look back through the past couple of pages.Are your posts fair and respectful to others? If you think not,then edit or delete your own posts.
                Call this virus by its actual name.It's not Chinese virus.It's Coronavirus or Covid-19.

Do you want to vent about anything person-to-person? Use PM.Use your Ignore List.Use common sense.We really are all in this together regardless of any differences of viewpoint.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

You two are clueless.
                  What? It's continuous comments like that which are driving people away from this website. Missed Baggie's post above... *I* Do not want to get involved in stuff like that any more.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  ....when it comes to discussing the China virus. You don't agree with someone's posts so you hurl insults.
                  Ignore *him*. Just my current reaction. (I'm trying to edit and make this as peaceable as possible.)

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  And let's not forget that Trump wants to open for business again in a week or so... which one of you morons is the boneheaded one now when you think that's a splendid idea. The USA hasn't even reached the peak of the infection... good luck, guys! You're gonna need it!
                  It is not Trump who started closing the states down, but the Dem leaders spreading panic and FEAR into anyone's ears listening to the doom and gloom. Mostly everyone (who I personally know) agrees that Shutting our state(s) down for 2 weeks might NOT work. 3 weeks may be better, but even if we close down for MORE than ONE month, that will *not* guarantee this virus will be gone or gone forever. It only takes one person to start this health-problem all over again. NY is planning on shutting down (NON-essential) businesses for more than ONE month, if you listen to NY Mayor DeBlasio. NJ just copies whatever NY does, so, folks here (in NJ) are expecting NOT going back to work any time soon. Same with other states following in CA's and NY's lead... and pushing more FEAR and scary stuff. Trust me, it's all over FB and the rest of the internet.

My work-office (small business) is NOW closed. Permanently, until further notice. In 2001, businesses and industries got affected by the attacks on the WTC, which finally dropped our workload by half about six months later ---- we were dependent on them to "buy" our product(s). Took us 3 years to recover and bounce back. Now, with this virus, our office is CLOSED. Kaput. Not bouncing back if all of the other states keep their doors closed for 3 months. Mostly everyone is now heading to unemployment... reminds me of when Gov.Florio turned NJ into a ghost state back in the early 1990's.

Most average families don't even have enough finances to keep them stable, even on unemployment, for the rest of the year. Nor do they have the amount of storage space that the wealthier folks have to keep food, etc., for months on end. If the "Essential" stores start closing down, our world is going to be in even more trouble. NO business is hiring currently, except for maybe stock clerks. As for myself, I have a bad back, cannot stand, cannot pick up heavy loads of boxes/items without throwing my spinal area into hideous and chronic spasms, and cannot go on disability because I can sit and work to some degree... it's just finding an open office hiring without a horrible commute and hours. Been there, done that before... It does NOT work out well.

Keeping our nation shuttered for 3 months OR more is unsustainable, and thus BONEHEADED behavior. Some reports from top tiers (TPTB) were bragging or stating these closures will last into Labor Day (SEPTEMBER). That is simply NOT sustainable. 401K's have already dropped thousands of $$. People nearing retirement cannot REGAIN those investments in just a few months. Took me more than 5 years to regain everything I lost when President Obama bailed out the auto-industries in 2008. Even if everything drops to $0 in any nation, it may or will take more than a decade to rebuild all of those lost finances back per individual person. Not everyone can afford that amount of time loss or financial dropout. This is what causes people to go into severe depression, and other (social / behavior) problems often start up as a result.

If TPTB order our industries and (non-essential) businesses to shut down for 3 months or MORE, then these mandatory closures nationwide and world-wide will *crash* the entire world's economy *everywhere*. Some people (on other discussion sites) believe that is the goal of what TPTB controlling this world are trying to achieve... destroy the economy and reset, according to their terms. If that isn't some sort of manipulation tactic, being tagged and hidden onto a real health issue (crisis that can be controlled within certain conditions and time constraints), this world has just lost the battle for *world* "peace and prosperity"... Won't be long before the world starts getting on each others nerves and end up going to war against each other, if that ends up being the ultimate, actual end situation.
                  Last edited by SGalisa; 24 March 2020, 09:21 AM. Reason: added info...

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    Keeping our nation shuttered for 3 months OR more is unsustainable, and thus BONEHEADED behavior. Some reports from top tiers (TPTB) were bragging or stating these closures will last into Labor Day (SEPTEMBER). That is simply NOT sustainable. 401K's have already dropped thousands of $$. People nearing retirement cannot REGAIN those investments in just a few months. Took me more than 5 years to regain everything I lost when President Obama bailed out the auto-industries in 2008. Even if everything drops to $0 in any nation, it may or will take more than a decade to rebuild all of those lost finances back per individual person. Not everyone can afford that amount of time loss or financial dropout. This is what causes people to go into severe depression, and other (social / behavior) problems often start up as a result.

If TPTB order our industries and (non-essential) businesses to shut down for 3 months or MORE, then these mandatory closures nationwide and world-wide will *crash* the entire world's economy *everywhere*. Some people (on other discussion sites) believe that is the goal of what TPTB controlling this world are trying to achieve... destroy the economy and reset, according to their terms. If that isn't some sort of manipulation tactic, being tagged and hidden onto a real health issue (crisis that can be controlled within certain conditions and time constraints), this world has just lost the battle for *world* "peace and prosperity"... Won't be long before the world starts getting on each others nerves and end up going to war against each other, if that ends up being the ultimate, actual end situation.
                    Like it or not, we are already in this mess. Would it be "more sustainable" if we open things back up and everyone gets sick?

I don't think we should be planning re-opening closed businesses for at least a month. We have to give the disease time to run its course in those who have gotten infected. Once they've developed their own immunity by having contracted it and beat it, I don't think they are contagious any longer. If I'm wrong on that, everyone's gonna get it eventually, so it makes little difference.

In fact, I think far too many places are being allowed to stay open. Yes, food & other essential supplies have to remain accessible, and it really has to suck to be employed in that field; if you are customer-facing, you're gonna get nailed eventually. But there is no legitimate need for many of the other "essential" businesses to remain open and force their workers to get sick as well.

The govt. is trying to come up with a plan to financally help citizens and businesses but the usual squabbling is gonna delay or kill that. One side wants to give big business a blank check, and the other side wants to dump every completely unrelated idea they can come up with into it. Attn: BOTH parties. Pass a bill that is focused on addressing the current need, put the other crap on the back burner. Thank you.

As far as the stock market goes, that has never been anything but legalized gambling. When you bet, over the long term, the odds are nearly certain that you will eventually lose your shorts. That's why it's called gambling.

Besides the nature of any gambling, that particular game is rigged. With computer trading the big boys have, they get their money out far sooner than the individual investor can. The big boys get out before the price drops, but the little guy gets pennies on the dollar. So guess who loses? It certainly sucks for those planning on drawing on that now vanished money in the near term, but that's the luck of the draw.

There is a plus side too. Once this crisis passes, it's going to be a great opportunity for those who want to have a seat at the craps table.

There is an awful lot about this whole topic which is highly political, and I wanted management to grant us leeway to include that so we can have a more complete discussion of it. In fact, I would rather see Baggy start a dedicated thread for that, rather than keep using this one, but from the response posted above, I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                      What? It's continuous comments like that which are driving people away from this website. Missed Baggie's post above... *I* Do not want to get involved in stuff like that any more.

Ignore *him*. Just my current reaction. (I'm trying to edit and make this as peaceable as possible.)

It is not Trump who started closing the states down, but the Dem leaders spreading panic and FEAR into anyone's ears listening to the doom and gloom. Mostly everyone (who I personally know) agrees that Shutting our state(s) down for 2 weeks might NOT work. 3 weeks may be better, but even if we close down for MORE than ONE month, that will *not* guarantee this virus will be gone or gone forever. It only takes one person to start this health-problem all over again. NY is planning on shutting down (NON-essential) businesses for more than ONE month, if you listen to NY Mayor DeBlasio. NJ just copies whatever NY does, so, folks here (in NJ) are expecting NOT going back to work any time soon. Same with other states following in CA's and NY's lead... and pushing more FEAR and scary stuff. Trust me, it's all over FB and the rest of the internet.
                      I can't stand DeBlasio, thankfully he's not in charge of NY state and deciding when we come out of PAUSE (that's what our shutdown thing is kind of called), whenever that may be. I think Cuomo has been doing a really good job handling things so far. He's been very calm and collected and nothing that I've read that he's said has come across as him spreading panic and fear.
                      sigpic

Comment

If people are still not getting it through their thick skull that staying inside and not gather in groups, they should be taken to the ER's and ICU's where people are literally dying right now.
                        as long as those rules don't apply to all castes of society, don't expect those stats to go down anytime soon '_'

Spain recorded another high of 500+ deaths in 24 hours.
                        their curfew's among the strictest

how long have they been on lockdown?

Comment

The countries with high daily death rates have them because the hospitals are overloaded. They don't have the equipment and resources they need to save people. I think in a lot of cases, the virus is killing people who may have otherwise have been saved if they had more resources. Social distancing and other methods used to try to slow the spread of the virus are necessary not because this virus is particularly deadly to everyone or even most people it comes into contact with, but because even though the majority people will only ever devolop mild to moderate symptoms and won't require hospitalization, there will still be a lot of vulnerable people out there that those people who think they've just got a "cold" can infect, and most health care systems just aren't prepared to handle an influx of patients with severe symptoms. Testing, and making sure hospitals have what they need to treat people
                          (and not just he patients that they already have but any potential influx of patients) needs to be a main priority anywhere that has even a few confirmed cases imo.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, at least it's not NY's governor putting his foot in his mouth...

Ron DeSantis, Governor of Florida, speaking about the two Holland America cruise ships that want to dock and discharge passengers in Florida.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gov-de...loridians-safe

On Thursday DeSantis said, “I think there has been a little confusion about some of this, there are probably another two dozen ships that are out there and some of them want to come to Florida. None of them have American citizens. They're all foreign crude and we've been very concerned about that, the Coast Guard has been concerned about it.”
                            Ya know, I'm thinking he's gonna regret his choice of words there....

Comment

Is there a reason they are not being sent back to the country of origin then?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                                Is there a reason they are not being sent back to the country of origin then?
                                Would you like the truth or would you like me to be P.C. about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X