This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    I heard of those guys who tried to overthrow the Venezuelan government that legitimately stole the election and proceeded to use its constitution as toilet paper long before Coronavirus made toilet paper scarce. I just never looked into how badly planned, prepped, and executed the whole thing was...it was boneheaded bad and deserves to be mentioned here.

This youtuber explains it best:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXxRspj-ZA

And for those of you who don't like opening youtube links *cough*Jelgate*cough* a quick summary:

Some pea brained US specforce vets with nothing beyond a team level leadership experience thought they could plan a 300 men strong coup/kidnapping of Maduro with some defected Venezuelan soldiers, a corrupt defected Venezuelan politician, and a dirty drug smuggling defected Venezuelan general who all announced their plans before hand and ended up only using 60 horribly underequipped men to pull of the job got caught in the act rather easily and hilariously. Apparently the Green Beret and Navy Seal that trained them used broomsticks as guns for their drills (that's how bad it was). Their plan ended up being getting in normal boats in broad daylight, landing on a beach near the capital and proceeding to take over the largest international airport there and then move on into the capital to seize Maduro and take him back to the airport to fly him out of the country...only that they got stopped before they even made landfall for reasons that ought to be painfully obvious.

And to top it off, because the 3 aforementioned Venezuelans were blabbing about it, Venezuelan Intelligence caught wind of the whole operation and even helped fund it so that it knowing that they'd fail miserably. So not it's this big PR coup for Maduro who claimed it was brave "patriotic" citizens who stopped them ignoring that his intel people knew about it and planned exactly how they would intercept them.

I guess the guys behind this read a little too much about the filibustering that took place a hundred years ago (most of which ended up failing anyway).
    revolution rule number 1....which apparently these dummies didn't understand....if you're gonna plan a revolt...for Pete's sake don't plan it where the target of your revolt can get wind of it! :facepalm:

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      I heard of those guys who tried to overthrow the Venezuelan government that legitimately stole the election and proceeded to use its constitution as toilet paper long before Coronavirus made toilet paper scarce. I just never looked into how badly planned, prepped, and executed the whole thing was...it was boneheaded bad and deserves to be mentioned here.

This youtuber explains it best:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXxRspj-ZA

And for those of you who don't like opening youtube links *cough*Jelgate*cough* a quick summary:

Some pea brained US specforce vets with nothing beyond a team level leadership experience thought they could plan a 300 men strong coup/kidnapping of Maduro with some defected Venezuelan soldiers, a corrupt defected Venezuelan politician, and a dirty drug smuggling defected Venezuelan general who all announced their plans before hand and ended up only using 60 horribly underequipped men to pull of the job got caught in the act rather easily and hilariously. Apparently the Green Beret and Navy Seal that trained them used broomsticks as guns for their drills (that's how bad it was). Their plan ended up being getting in normal boats in broad daylight, landing on a beach near the capital and proceeding to take over the largest international airport there and then move on into the capital to seize Maduro and take him back to the airport to fly him out of the country...only that they got stopped before they even made landfall for reasons that ought to be painfully obvious.

And to top it off, because the 3 aforementioned Venezuelans were blabbing about it, Venezuelan Intelligence caught wind of the whole operation and even helped fund it so that it knowing that they'd fail miserably. So not it's this big PR coup for Maduro who claimed it was brave "patriotic" citizens who stopped them ignoring that his intel people knew about it and planned exactly how they would intercept them.

I guess the guys behind this read a little too much about the filibustering that took place a hundred years ago (most of which ended up failing anyway).
      I will await the film
      sigpic

Comment

In regards of whomever is the most stupid, young or old... there's that saying, never too old, so...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ungh. Some people will buy ANYTHING.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/2...am-dont-buy-it

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Ungh. Some people will buy ANYTHING.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/2...am-dont-buy-it
            at least not from eBay anyway....lots of scam products on there.....mainly from China and other Asian countries...which have the capability to manufacture things "spoofed" USB sticks....cheap low-capacity sticks somehow "spoofed" to give a higher capacity readout...very nasty scam...you buy what you think is a 64 GB pendrive off eBay and start copying files to it any to discover that in fact the rive does not have 64 GB as stated to your computer but only 1 GB...that did happen to me once.basically took advantage of a deal that I should've known was too good to be true...a 64 GB pendrive for only like 20 bucks (a steal at the time, like 10 - 15 years ago)....should've verified the capacity beforehand....in my defense I didn't know such a thing was possible to do at the time (spoof a pendrive to give a false capacity reading)...since then now I know and haven't bought a thing from eBay ever since....these spoofed pendrives are probably amongst the least nasty scam products...others might have a virus embedded in them

if you do buy something like a pendrive, esp. if it was at a really good deal, even if from a normally reputable place like best buy...it's probably best to use a piece of free software called "h2testw" to test out the capacity....that will determine if the drive was spoofed to give a false capacity reading

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              at least not from eBay anyway....lots of scam products on there.....mainly from China and other Asian countries...which have the capability to manufacture things "spoofed" USB sticks....cheap low-capacity sticks somehow "spoofed" to give a higher capacity readout...very nasty scam...you buy what you think is a 64 GB pendrive off eBay and start copying files to it any to discover that in fact the rive does not have 64 GB as stated to your computer but only 1 GB...that did happen to me once.basically took advantage of a deal that I should've known was too good to be true...a 64 GB pendrive for only like 20 bucks (a steal at the time, like 10 - 15 years ago)....should've verified the capacity beforehand....in my defense I didn't know such a thing was possible to do at the time (spoof a pendrive to give a false capacity reading)...since then now I know and haven't bought a thing from eBay ever since....these spoofed pendrives are probably amongst the least nasty scam products...others might have a virus embedded in them

if you do buy something like a pendrive, esp. if it was at a really good deal, even if from a normally reputable place like best buy...it's probably best to use a piece of free software called "h2testw" to test out the capacity....that will determine if the drive was spoofed to give a false capacity reading
              I was more interested in the "anti-5G" aspects. Like a USB stick is going to block radio waves. Yes, I can imagine jamming a 5G signal but to do so, it would have to be making its own emissions on those frequencies.... Think, people, THINK!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                I was more interested in the "anti-5G" aspects. Like a USB stick is going to block radio waves. Yes, I can imagine jamming a 5G signal but to do so, it would have to be making its own emissions on those frequencies.... Think, people, THINK!
                I also changed my mind on traditional HDD's (with the spinning magnetic platters)....sort of

I think SSD's will be the wave of the future as far as day to day computer operations go...an SSD just big enough to support an operating system with use of open-source portable apps (which can reside entirely or almost entirely on a pendrive or other external drive) encouraged for most of your app needs is probably gonna wind up being very common

but I think traditional HDD's will still see some mileage mostly as a means of data archival. Since you'd only be using them primarily to store data backups (such as volume shadow copies and ISO disk images of CD's, DVD's, and BD's, and perhaps an offline archive of your VUDU movie library) and reading from them seldomly (in case you need to restore a volume from a shadow copy, re-rip MP4's from an ISO image, or watching your VUDU content while your internet is down) then their performance disadvantages when compared to SSD performance will likely matter little and traditional HDD's are still much cheaper than SSD's (12 TB traditional HDD (external) on Best Buy is like $250 whereas the equivalent amount in SSD storage would likely run you at least twice, if no 3 - 4 times that)

so likely I will archive all of our disk images of our movies and stuff and whatever I buy on VUDU to a 12 TB traditional HDD hard drive (along with perhaps some shadow copies of the computer's main hard drive) and use the lesser capacity SSD's I bought for storing the things like DVD rips that we will do most of our movie watching from once I'm done digitizing our disks.....would just have to chkdsk the HDD regularly to make sure it's not developing bad sectors

Comment

Spotted on my feed this morning...

Stag night snake bite: Reptile bites man on tongue at Austrian party

A German man was admitted to hospital after being bitten on the tongue by a snake at a bachelor party in the Austrian Alps.

The local Red Cross reported that the 38-year-old man from Berlin had been dared to touch the baby viper with his tongue, the Austria Press Agency reported on Monday.

The incident happened on the floor of an Alpine hut at Neuberg im Muerztal in southeastern Austria on Saturday evening.

Mountain rescuers and a doctor were called to the scene after the man's tongue began to swell up, and he was driven around 60 kilometres to a remote provincial hospital in Wiener Neustadt.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Spotted on my feed this morning...

Stag night snake bite: Reptile bites man on tongue at Austrian party

A German man was admitted to hospital after being bitten on the tongue by a snake at a bachelor party in the Austrian Alps.

The local Red Cross reported that the 38-year-old man from Berlin had been dared to touch the baby viper with his tongue, the Austria Press Agency reported on Monday.

The incident happened on the floor of an Alpine hut at Neuberg im Muerztal in southeastern Austria on Saturday evening.

Mountain rescuers and a doctor were called to the scene after the man's tongue began to swell up, and he was driven around 60 kilometres to a remote provincial hospital in Wiener Neustadt.

Ok, they can get behind you guys in the line to never get let out again.

Comment

Are these guys nuts?

How the hell do they expect to enforce this?

No pajama pants? In Springfield schools, students must adhere to dress code for remote learning.

Students in the capital of Illinois are not allowed to wear hats, bandannas, sunglasses, pajama pants or slippers in school buildings. And that dress code now extends to their bedrooms and kitchen tables.

“We don’t need students in pajamas and all those other things while on their Zoom conferences,” Jason Wind, the district’s director of student support, explained during an online board meeting of Springfield Public Schools this past week.

Along with the clothing requirements, the district’s remote learning guidelines mandate that students be “sitting up out of bed, preferably at a desk or table.”
                      And I thought our governor had delusions of dictatorhood.

Comment

To be fair...

Companies do have a similar policy that you have to look decent in a video call.
                        Everything visible should therefor be in order.

I'm bringing a bonehead story from Belgium...

A collector of war amunition brought a cannon shell home from the Ardennes (where he allegedly found it). He wanted to take it apart in his yard and set his chainsaw to work. Unfortunately for him the incendiary device was still a viable little bomb and it blew up in his face. He be dead, by the way, and the shell also blew a small hole in the backwall of his house.

Comment

To be fair...

Companies do have a similar policy that you have to look decent in a video call.

A collector of war amunition brought a cannon shell home from the Ardennes (where he allegedly found it). He wanted to take it apart in his yard and set his chainsaw to work. Unfortunately for him the incendiary device was still a viable little bomb and it blew up in his face. He be dead, by the way, and the shell also blew a small hole in the backwall of his house.
                          Darwin awards are completely equal opportunity. (Considering current events in this country, do you have any idea how many politically incorrect jokes I could make about this?)

But we already knew about you guys. That's why we're never letting you out again, period.

Comment

To be fair...

small hole? from a cannon shell? define small

Comment

If it was only the incendiary that blew, it would not leave that big of a hole MG.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I was sent a photo yesterday; apparently one of my customers scrawled "Give back my money, Womble" on the wall of my travel agency's branch in another city (with my actual name, of course). I really wonder what they hoped to achieve.

Another customer sent a strongly worded letter of complaint on my conduct... to my email. No CC anywhere else, just to me. My work email has my name in it. I am this close to replying that I will look into his complaint on my behavior and take disciplinary measures against myself.
                                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                                X